NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
That only works if NBC throws out a number higher than ESPN. But if ESPN outbids NBC by 100 million a year, that counts for something and it happened.

SO WHAT WAS STOPPING NBC
FROM ADDING 200 MS
LIKE YOU CLAIM AMAZON CAN?

:devil:
:evil:

SchoolboyC

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
it sucks in regards to tnt but such is life, wonder it turner will let barkley and em out of their contract. So they can hop over
:lupe:

I believe Chuck already said if they lose NBA rights he’ll be a free agent, I’d imagine the same for Shaq & Kenny

Ernie isn’t leaving Turner regardless, if they lose the NBA he’ll probably just do baseball & hockey

calh45

Cal
Daps
So as an attorney, I can tell you that a company will almost never set a price limit when it comes to a contract like this. The CBA isn’t a good comparison because that is a built in cost control mechanism and employee control mechanism built into NBA governance.

WB had the exclusive negotiating window, which expired. So while they have the right to match or offer a proposal, there’s nothing that says the NBA cannot accept counters of greater value. In fact, the NBA is telling you right now that even if WB meets NBC dollar for dollar, they value the overall economics and structure of NBC/Comcast more. Translation: we have the right to take the better deal. Why wouldn’t the NBA look at an Amazon deal that offers 500 million more and make the same argument?

All of this is true, but it's also why I think this new deal will be an albatross for a new partner IF Silver sees only the numbers. Silver seems too focused on the economics of the deal just judging by how everything is about the numbers of it all. He's always been terrible at seeing and understanding the consequences of bad optics and Zaslav is fighting a little dirty. Zaslav's tactic seems to be you keep us onboard OR you'll lose the most socially valuable and far reaching NBA show. I think he LOVES Charles saying he'll leave TNT if they lose the NBA. I see more Inside the NBA clips this playoffs on social media than I've seen game highlights. Their MVP argument overshadowed a whole playoff game. It is a cultural staple and it's not getting replaced by Sage Steele Jr, Jefferson, JJ, and occasionally Perk. The NFL doesn't have a show on the level of Inside the NBA.

I never thought they were going to get the $75 billion, because tripling up is crazy talk considering their viewership numbers, but Zaslav is muddying the water with the Inside the NBA crew so if the NBA chooses Amazon's deal over WB's deal it's going to be a poison pill for Amazon. If they all leave TNT, sans Ernie because he ain't going nowhere and he's the key to controlling the chaos, I don't think they all end up at the same place and they're all too big of personalities for a new partner to not have at least one or two of them during halftime.

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
All of this is true, but it's also why I think this new deal will be an albatross for a new partner IF Silver sees only the numbers. Silver seems too focused on the economics of the deal just judging by how everything is about the numbers of it all. He's always been terrible at seeing and understanding the consequences of bad optics and Zaslav is fighting a little dirty. Zaslav's tactic seems to be you keep us onboard OR you'll lose the most socially valuable and far reaching NBA show. I think he LOVES Charles saying he'll leave TNT if they lose the NBA. I see more Inside the NBA clips this playoffs on social media than I've seen game highlights. Their MVP argument overshadowed a whole playoff game. It is a cultural staple and it's not getting replaced by Sage Steele Jr, Jefferson, JJ, and occasionally Perk. The NFL doesn't have a show on the level of Inside the NBA.

I never thought they were going to get the $75 billion, because tripling up is crazy talk considering their viewership numbers, but Zaslav is muddying the water with the Inside the NBA crew so if the NBA chooses Amazon's deal over WB's deal it's going to be a poison pill for Amazon. If they all leave TNT, sans Ernie because he ain't going nowhere and he's the key to controlling the chaos, I don't think they all end up at the same place and they're all too big of personalities for a new partner to not have at least one or two of them during halftime.

It’s more of how unstable WBD is as a company and how the cable bundle eroding than Inside the NBA imo. Silver is more comfortable and confident in Comcast to be a viable media company (with NBC and Peacock) than WBD (with TNT). WBD might be sold and merged again in the future (possibly to Comcast)

firemanBk

The Manslayer
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
it sucks in regards to tnt but such is life, wonder it turner will let barkley and em out of their contract. So they can hop over
:lupe:
The problem is Ernie is 100% never leaving Turner
Inside the NBA is all or nothing
Need everyone (and it's not just the guys on screen) or it won't be the same

calh45

Cal
Daps
It’s more of how unstable WBD is as a company and how the cable bundle eroding than Inside the NBA imo. Silver is more comfortable and confident in Comcast to be a viable media company (with NBC and Peacock) than WBD (with TNT). WBD might be sold and merged again in the future (possibly to Comcast)

WB are unstable, and it's mostly because Zaslav who could be replaced, but outside of him they have the most valuable off court/field media property in North American sports and they're the devil the NBA knows regardless of any future sale. NBC knows how to produce sports. We know their history with how they've handled the NBA before and their track and field stuff is pretty good along with their NFL productions. They need to build a roster of analysis talent, since they already have Tirico and Maria Taylor as hosting options, but I think they'll be fine eventually if they don't make it weird and force people onto Peacock subscriptions to watch games. (They did this with the Premier League in a bait and switch with me before)

I think the actual choice Silver is making is between Amazon and WB for this third and final portion of the deal. I'm not sure that Amazon's money with lack of experience is a better choice than a volatile partner with over 2 decades of experience. I despise the way that Amazon does Thursday Night Football with the NFL and if that's how they plan on presenting the NBA games I'm not watching games there.

Beyond all of that, I think this all became messy because the original post in this thread is they were chasing $75 billion which is genuinely insane as a target and he seems willing to forgo everything to get to the level. Roger got $110 billion, he got around $25 billion from each of the four partners, and it seems like Silver wants to hit 2.5 billion a year per partner aka the NFL rates and I think that's going to put them in a bad place.

Rev

Bong
Daps
Reppin
Uptown
damn, i'm really eager to see what NBC's plan of coverage is - studio shows, on-air talent, etc.

is the idea that Amazon and NBC will just pick up whoever's on TNT and NBA TV...and whoever doesn't renew with ESPN?