NBA approves new media deals with Disney (ABC/ESPN), Comcast (NBC), and Amazon for 11 years, $77 billion. Update: NBA REJECTS WBD's (TNT Sports) deal

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
There was never a question of matching rights: they are standard in these contracts. The question is whether TNT would be able to match and what would the NBA have to legally accept as a match. They clearly cannot match NBC’s overall offering but the Max vs. Amazon question is interesting. And the question is would TNT want to have a streaming only deal with the NBA. I don’t think they would.

CAAAAAAAAAAAP

SKIPPER THE FORMER ESPN HEAD
SAID THE RIGHTS DIDNT EXIST
BECAUSE NEGOTIATED THE LAST
CONTRACT FOR ESPN AND THEY
DIDNT HAVE THEM.

PPL BEGAN TO REPEAT THIS
IN THE NEWS AND THIS VERY THREAD.

HE CLEARLY DIDNT KNOW
WTF HE WAS TALKING ABOUT
AND IT MAKES HIM LOOK LIKE
A CLOWN WHO DIDNT ACTUALLY
DO ANYTHING IN THOSE NEGOTIATIONS.
:devil:
:evil:

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
I dont think WBD goes for the Amazon package. Im assuming if they match then they have to go by the deal they are matching. So it would mean streaming only for those games at the 1.8B. They didnt want to pay the money to put the games on tv, no way they pay that much for games on Max. I dont see them propping up Max like that, maybe it's tempting if they can put games on the discovery app as well?

If they can renegotiate, then I can see them matching. But silver probably gonna want a bag to change the contract to allow them to put games on tv.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps

CAAAAAAAAAAAP

DIDNT HAVE THEM.

PPL BEGAN TO REPEAT THIS

HE CLEARLY DIDNT KNOW
WTF HE WAS TALKING ABOUT

I don’t know anything about that. But at no point have I ever said there weren’t matching rights. If Skipper said that then dude clearly delegated to someone else. No one signs a media rights deal without the right to renew or matching rights.

CHICAGO

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I don’t know anything about that. But at no point have I ever said there weren’t matching rights. If Skipper said that then dude clearly delegated to someone else. No one signs a media rights deal without the right to renew or matching rights.

:gucci: NO ONE EVER CLAIMED
YOU PERSONALLY SAID ANYTHING

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Nîgga you responded to ME. I said “there was never a question of matching rights” - and you called cap and started talking about this skipper dude as if that has shyt to do with me or anything that I was talking about.

EzekelRAGE

Superstar
Daps
There won't be a giant spike because I think they NBAPA agreed to cap smoothing after last cba. I've read a 10% increase every year but that seems small and is likely conjecture.
Yep, I think the same thing was posted in this thread. I remember saying I know the owners happy as hell the NBAPA agreed to such a dumb thing. They get to eat all the money from this deal immediately while the players get drip fed.
I also think it the 10% thing is true and seems Durant/Warriors are to blame for it
As part of the NBA's new collective bargaining agreement, the league and the National Basketball Players Association agreed to prevent a massive, one-time salary-cap spike like the one that enabled the Golden State Warriors to sign Kevin Durant as a free agent in 2016. The new CBA prohibits the salary cap from decreasing year-over-year, but the cap also can't increase more than 10% annually.

Had the NBA and NBPA not agreed to cap-smoothing, Nick Thoreson of Ducking the Tax estimated that the cap would have jumped by nearly $68 million in 2025-26. Instead, those increases will be phased in over time. As a result, the cap very well could jump 10% annually from 2025-26 (when the new TV deals begin) through the end of the decade.

GSW/Durant is the reason because GSW were able to sign durant in 2016 because the cap increased by 24M the year he signed.
Instead of the cap jumping nearly 70M, it will just jump 7M each year.

They(NBAPA) traded a cap on the growth for the cap never dropping year over year.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics

CAAAAAAAAAAAP

DIDNT HAVE THEM.

PPL BEGAN TO REPEAT THIS

HE CLEARLY DIDNT KNOW
WTF HE WAS TALKING ABOUT

ESPN didn't do shyt this time either...... Silver just loves Disney and it seems like from reading these articles that Silver never pressed them.

CHICAGO

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Nîgga you responded to ME. I said “there was never a question of matching rights” - and you called cap and started talking about this skipper dude as if that has shyt to do with me or anything that I was talking about.

YOU SAID THERE WAS NEVER
A QUESTION OF MATCHING RIGHTS.

THATS JUST 100% FALSE.

THIS THREAD WAS FULL OF PAGES
AND TWEETS QUESTIONING THE MATCHING RIGHTS.

NO WHERE IN YOUR POST DID YOU SAY
"YOU" NEVER QUESTIONED MATCHING RIGHTS.