Naughty Dog so inspired by Elden Ring: Declares no more Movie Games per Neil Druckmannn

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Have you played TLOU 2? Because UC4 and TLOU 2 have done some of that already e.g. environmental storytelling.

I know yo ass just rushed in this thread because it look like cannon fodder for Xbot stannery.
Why do you defend so hard. Damn different games/devs aim for different shyt.

Straight from the heads at Sony/ND they tell you themselves they are storytellers.

Other games have different priorities. It’s OK lil buddy.

Barney Rubble

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Triple A games have become so focus group tested that they are starting to feel lifeless. That's why Elden Ring was a breath of fresh air cuz it provided mystery and let us use our imaginations a little. I'm all for big games taking more risks.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Why do you defend so hard. Damn different games/devs aim for different shyt.

Straight from the heads at Sony/ND they tell you themselves they are storytellers.

Other games have different priorities. It’s OK lil buddy.
Have you played TLOU2 and UC4?

He mentioned ICO and inside as well.

and :umad:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Have you played TLOU2 and UC4?

He mentioned ICO and inside as well.

and :umad:
Yes. I wasn’t speaking on environmental storytelling or not. or elden ring.

I said all they talk about is story period. He’s not talking about the gameplay that studio is inspired by. Or new gameplay innovations they are working on. It’s always about the story.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Naughty Dog already uses environmental storytelling, the entire first section of The Last of Us 2 where you pull up a map (that you find, not part of the UI), travel to the the destination and find stuff in the open world is what he’s talking about, and they’ve been done that. Like the entire story of the people robbing the bank on outbreak day, and you find the shotgun in one of their hands in the vault.

They did it in Lost Legacy and Uncharted 4 as well.

Either way, i have no reason to doubt ND/ND at this point. 30 years in the game and they’ve only provided piff :wow:
Also in UC4, much of the story about libertalia was told through the environment.

ENVIRONMENTAL STORYTELLING

The first inclusion is the idea that the scenes could tell their own separate but related stories. Whereas previous Uncharted games employed the idea of set pieces — cool-looking arenas to traverse and fight within — Uncharted 4 specifically weaves history into them. One such moment is when Nate and Sam discover the ruins of a battlefield. As you walk through it, you see the opposing lines and how people died — and if you’re curious enough, you can interact with some of these elements to make Nate and Sam comment on what they think happened all those years ago. The genius of this is that Naughty Dog has deftly set these environmental story themes to riff off the main storyline of your gameplay.

COLLECTIBLES

Tied to the previous idea, Nate can find documents and other artifacts that will further reveal the background of the story. These include missives from the pirates of the game’s lore, or even documentation of a previous and failed expedition to find the very thing Nate and Sam are looking for. Each of these is beautiful crafted and often contain sketches of what these long-dead sailors saw. Nate will also make drawings of his own; while this is a hold-over from previous Uncharted games, they work even better than before. (The fact that Nate’s sketches are often funny doesn’t hurt.)

OPTIONAL CONVERSATIONS

One of the best textures in The Last of Us was the option to chat with other characters in the game. A green triangle appears over the head of someone if there is such an opportunity, and these little moments were wonderful asides to learn more about what a character is thinking or feeling. This lends an authenticity that might otherwise be missing or need to be forced through exposition. A favorite of mine finds the crew at the ruins of a lookout tower, where you can discuss how good it feels to be back in the treasure-hunting racket.

@MeachTheMonster you don't remember all this do you?

Last edited:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Also in UC4, much of the story about libertalia was told through the environment.

These nikkas first game ever must have been elden ring :mjlol:

They all got that shyt from ICO

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
you are just realizing that creative multifaceted environments are what human players enjoy the most???? you dont say?
I think it's different strokes for different folks, and also the genre of game

It's hard to envision TLOU without heavy cutscene based storytelling, if they tried to make that shyt into post apocalyptic zelda that shyt would be ass

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
That sucks, i hate elden type games where there is no character. Prefer the naughty dog approach. most people don't even know the name of the protaganist
It's amazing people online have convinced people that elden ring has a great story when I'm sure even the devs themselves will tell you that it's an afterthought

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
It's amazing people online have convinced people that elden ring has a great story when I'm sure even the devs themselves will tell you that it's an afterthought

I love Fromsoft games but i def ain’t playing them for the story lol

And I’ll say it again, the great thing about sony games is they have good stories AND good gameplay A lot of other AAA games either have one or the other. There’s a reason a large segment of people out there are fiening for Factions, cause the gameplay of Part 2 is so good. No other 3rd person shooter controls as good

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Bro all these Souls games story telling, voice acting, narratives etc. are all ASS

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I love Fromsoft games but i def ain’t playing them for the story lol

And I’ll say it again, the great thing about sony games is they have good stories AND good gameplay A lot of other AAA games either have one or the other. There’s a reason a large segment of people out there are fiening for Factions, cause the gameplay of Part 2 is so good. No other 3rd person shooter controls as good
Yup. These dorks be trying to act like TLOU 2 ain't one of the smoothest playing third person shooters out.

Top 5 third person shooters imo:

• The Last of Us Part 2
  • Max Payne 3
  • Gears 5
  • Uncharted 4
  • MGSV
These games literally feel like sex when shooting. TLOU 2 and MP3 have the best animations/feel of these imo. Gears 5 is up there but it feels a bit too dated at times but it's solid as fukk. MGSV is pure heroine.