Naughty Dog so inspired by Elden Ring: Declares no more Movie Games per Neil Druckmannn

Daps
Reppin
Aaru
Exactly, just like you can point to Elden Ring and Souls games and say how no one else but Miyazaki can make them, the truth is no one else can make games like sony first party studios, specifically Naughty Dog and many have tried.
Rockstar, Nintendo, and Kojima Productions can

boriquaking

In Sauce We Trust!
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Big Gete Star
Cutscenes are graphically as impressive as they’ve ever been but shyt i’m sick of sitting through 20 minute videos

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Rockstar, Nintendo, and Kojima Productions can

Rockstar sure, once every 10 years annd their shooting and gameplay isn’t even close to as good as TLOU
Nintendo? No, not at all, the only narrative driven game they make is Xenoblade and its nothing like what ND makes.

And kojima is in his own lane, you don’t go to him for coherent, tight narratives. Kojima is the David Lynch of video games

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yes they die quicker but you get much less bullets so you have to scavenge more.
Lol flip flopping. First you said they just take more bullets now you say they die quicker. I'm having a feeling you never played the shyt lol.

Plenty of “not platformer” games have more skill based traversal.

You do this every time. You ask for specific examples, then you hand wave them shyts away and say “well the game ain’t supposed to do that”
It isn't. Treating a game like Uncharted that's more of a third person shooter with some climbing mechanics as if it should be Super Mario bros is silly. How many other third person shooter games that are critically acclaimed also feature tons of platforming?

Well that’s what I said. The game specifically wasn’t built to do that. It would fundamentally change the game.

They don’t want traversal to provide much resistance. Just a break in pacing on the way to the next story beat.

Why does it need to be complicated for the sake of being complicated? Should the game have a hunger/clothing system where you need to find food and cook/eat/dress appropriately before a stamina gauge depletes slowing down the player and ultimately kills them?

And it’s an extra DLC mode.

If they truly made the game under that “Grounded” mindset and really made it like hardcore survival with choices and all that. With their usual high quality production values, The game would probably be amazing. But it probably wouldn’t sell as much :francis:
????The game is already like that. Bump up the difficulty and the enemy AI and gameplay changes drasitically. Same with GOW 2018.
First you said it's just a cheap way to make the game challenging but then you say they should make the game... the way it already is? Huh?

None of it really changes your experience through the game. A person that chooses just to do the story isn’t gonna have a very different experience playing through the story sections than someone who does more exploration. None of the bosses or enemies are gonna challenge you in a way that you need a weapon or skill you could only get by exploring.
You're asking for a completely different game and then nitpicking the game for what it's not but even then, what you're talking about here is in the game. There are skills like light runics you find that's not in the main story path. I just literally cleared a raider camp in Ragnarok that had a light runic attack that will make fighting certain enemies much easier. I didn't need it but not having certain skills make some enemies much harder to deal with.

I didn’t say TLOU was like RDR. But Max Payne animation is still more snappy/gamey than TLOU. In the TLOU everything feels more weighty and animations are more complete. That looks good, and makes sense for the narrative, but it doesn’t always feel the best to play.
. As someone who LOVES Max Payne 3 and played a lot of the multiplayer, TLOU2 feels just as snappy and smooth as MP3 in it's own way. It is in no way shape or form, inferior from a control perspective. Saying a game feels more weighty and using that as a reason to say it's not good to play is like saying Call of Duty is automatically better than Battlefield gameplay-wise because it's more arcadey. Is Battlefield worse than COD because it's heavier?

Don’t do this dumb shyt. You know some/most games not movie games give the player lots more agency on where to go, how and when. In any other context you say how you appreciate that this style of game is more focused. Now you wanna pretend you don’t understand the difference :comeon:
Not really. What's the difference between Arkham City and Spider-Man 2018 progression-wise? Open world, both super heroes, both have arcadey gameplay yet the latter does all of what the first does with incredible production values. Linear games is what you're talking about now and most Sony games since UC4 has started leaning into more open-wide levels which gives you a lot more freedom when playing. Western Ghats in Lost Legacy is a lot like that.

giphy.gif

This whole area gave you much more freedom to play how you want.

Naw you were pretty clear that it was a problem inherent to open world games.

The A.I. works very differently based on what you can see on the screen. That’s basic video game design. Not even sure what you are arguing here.

If the enemies attacked you from behind in the same way they would a game you could see them that shyt would not fun at all :smh:
Dunno about that, enemies attacking you from behind makes you much more engrossed into the game and have to be quick with commands. It's actually more engaging.
So why you acting like i’m speaking foreign when i said the shyt changed :dahell:

And I disagree on the complexity thing. The OG games had more weapons and more different types of enemies that made you switch up your strategy, weapons or attacks to be successful. The new games not so much.
There's far more enemies and gameplay changes in 2018 and Ragnarok than the original trilogy. Original trilogy was basically square square triangle to the end. This one with the Leviathan Axe opens up the gameplay significantly. Throwing an axe at enemies feet, freezing them, runic attacks that stans multiple enemies, wide area attacks all make the game fresh. There's far more to do and see in this new one.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Exactly, just like you can point to Elden Ring and Souls games and say how no one else but Miyazaki can make them, the truth is no one else can make games like sony first party studios, specifically Naughty Dog and many have tried.
None. Other games either play well but don't look as good or look as good but player horrible(GTA V, RDR2).

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Lol flip flopping. First you said they just take more bullets now you say they die quicker. I'm having a feeling you never played the shyt lol.
My original post wasn’t specifically about TLOU. You mentioned difficulty levels, so i was speaking on the general idea of how difficulty levels usually work. Grounded mode isn’t even really a difficulty level.
It isn't. Treating a game like Uncharted that's more of a third person shooter with some climbing mechanics as if it should be Super Mario bros is silly. How many other third person shooter games that are critically acclaimed also feature tons of platforming?
I’m not treating it like anything. It is a movie games, so platforming works how it works :manny:
Why does it need to be complicated for the sake of being complicated? Should the game have a hunger/clothing system where you need to find food and cook/eat/dress appropriately before a stamina gauge depletes slowing down the player and ultimately kills them?
It doesn’t “need” anything.

Some games have “complicated” gamey stuff. Movie games don’t.
????The game is already like that. Bump up the difficulty and the enemy AI and gameplay changes drasitically. Same with GOW 2018.
First you said it's just a cheap way to make the game challenging but then you say they should make the game... the way it already is? Huh?
No the fukk it’s not :stopitslime:
You're asking for a completely different game and then nitpicking the game for what it's not but even then, what you're talking about here is in the game. There are skills like light runics you find that's not in the main story path. I just literally cleared a raider camp in Ragnarok that had a light runic attack that will make fighting certain enemies much easier. I didn't need it but not having certain skills make some enemies much harder to deal with.
I’m not asking for anything.

Again you asked for specific examples of movie game design decisions. This is one of them. Loot can’t be too important in this style of game. :manny:
. As someone who LOVES Max Payne 3 and played a lot of the multiplayer, TLOU2 feels just as snappy and smooth as MP3 in it's own way. It is in no way shape or form, inferior from a control perspective. Saying a game feels more weighty and using that as a reason to say it's not good to play is like saying Call of Duty is automatically better than Battlefield gameplay-wise because it's more arcadey. Is Battlefield worse than COD because it's heavier?
No, it doesn’t. You can’t turn on a dime, dive, swivel around fast, snap aiming, etc. TLOU mechanics are very “grounded” on purpose.

Not really. What's the difference between Arkham City and Spider-Man 2018 progression-wise? Open world, both super heroes, both have arcadey gameplay yet the latter does all of what the first does with incredible production values. Linear games is what you're talking about now and most Sony games since UC4 has started leaning into more open-wide levels which gives you a lot more freedom when playing. Western Ghats in Lost Legacy is a lot like that.

giphy.gif

This whole area gave you much more freedom to play how you want.
Arkham city and spider-man are very similar in their progression.

Yes sony games have opened up a little, but they still follow the general formula.

Dunno about that, enemies attacking you from behind makes you much more engrossed into the game and have to be quick with commands. It's actually more engaging.
Breh, watch any developer commentary on combat. Enemies attacking from off screen is a general no no. They will give you visual clues and make those enemies way less aggressive until they are in your line of view.
There's far more enemies and gameplay changes in 2018 and Ragnarok than the original trilogy. Original trilogy was basically square square triangle to the end. This one with the Leviathan Axe opens up the gameplay significantly. Throwing an axe at enemies feet, freezing them, runic attacks that stans multiple enemies, wide area attacks all make the game fresh. There's far more to do and see in this new one.
There’s more “exploration” but the combat took a step back :manny:

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps
Have you played TLOU 2? Because UC4 and TLOU 2 have done some of that already e.g. environmental storytelling.

I know yo ass just rushed in this thread because it looked like cannon fodder for Xbot stannery. :mjlol:

Meach doesnt know what time zones are wby would he know about something as nuanced as environmental storytellin?

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
My original post wasn’t specifically about TLOU. You mentioned difficulty levels, so i was speaking on the general idea of how difficulty levels usually work. Grounded mode isn’t even really a difficulty level.

I’m not treating it like anything. It is a movie games, so platforming works how it works :manny:

It doesn’t “need” anything.

Some games have “complicated” gamey stuff. Movie games don’t.

No the fukk it’s not :stopitslime:

I’m not asking for anything.

Again you asked for specific examples of movie game design decisions. This is one of them. Loot can’t be too important in this style of game. :manny:

No, it doesn’t. You can’t turn on a dime, dive, swivel around fast, snap aiming, etc. TLOU mechanics are very “grounded” on purpose.

Arkham city and spider-man are very similar in their progression.

Yes sony games have opened up a little, but they still follow the general formula.

Breh, watch any developer commentary on combat. Enemies attacking from off screen is a general no no. They will give you visual clues and make those enemies way less aggressive until they are in your line of view.

There’s more “exploration” but the combat took a step back :manny:
Okay man this isn't going anywhere. You'll just keep saying "but the gameplay not good enough" to anything I say lol.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Okay man this isn't going anywhere. You'll just keep saying "but the gameplay not good enough" to anything I say lol.
You aren’t engaging to understand. Just to defend sony.

Again. in any other context you say sony is the best at this shyt.

I agree, they are. The “shyt” just isn’t my cup of tea :manny: