Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
That chorus/bridge thing was beyond corny. nikkas grew up on Nas, I caught chills when I first heard the ‘I gave you Power’ chorus, that’s the Nas I know. Like I don’t rock with Em at all cause even though he can rap, he made cornball music, so yeah Nas rapping his ass off and the flip is creative and all that but the song is corny AF, no hate to Jarreau.

Nah it's not, cats thinking this is corny either dont mess with jazz like that or dont understand music like that:manny:, this is more than a rap track.

And how can you say Nas did his thing with the rap and the flip then say the track is corny:mjlol:

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nah it's not, cats thinking this is corny either dont mess with jazz like that or dont understand music like that:manny:, this is more than a rap track.
I love jazz, I go watch live jazz shows at least 5 times a year. And fukk outta here with that higher than thou Don’t understand music BS.
And how can you say Nas did his thing with the rap and the flip then say the track is corny:mjlol:
Same way Eminem makes corny songs but I can acknowledge that on those corny songs, he was rapping great from a technical stand point. Nas did his thing on a corny track, it is what it is. I been a Nas stan since 96, I’ve heard all the experimental tracks, if you a fan you know he’s known for doing that on his albums and we got great tracks when he stepped outside the box, shyt LT1 is a masterpiece cuz of that. this track ain’t it :yeshrug:

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I love jazz, I go watch live jazz shows at least 5 times a year. And fukk outta here with that higher than thou Don’t understand music BS.

Same way Eminem makes corny songs but I can acknowledge that on those corny songs, he was rapping great from a technical stand point. Nas did his thing on a corny track, it is what it is. I been a Nas stan since 96, I’ve heard all the experimental tracks, if you a fan you know he’s known for doing that on his albums and we got great tracks when he stepped outside the box, shyt LT1 is a masterpiece cuz of that. this track ain’t it :yeshrug:

explain why you think its corny? from a musical and technical standpoint its dope on its own, regardless of the fact its a concept track

if you dont rock with Al Jarreau (who i've seen live a few times, RIP) i can understand your neglect but otherwise :camby:

Also there is such a thing as wack jazz. The Jarreau song they sampled ain't exactly Kind of Blue lol.

c'mon breh, rondo blue a la turk is wack :gucci:

you cant even compare the two tracks, two totally different formats of jazz

Last edited:

Sinister

Banned
Daps
I've seen some comments now about how this is cool just not as a single. Please explain how this wouldn't have been wack if this wasn't a single? If this wasn't a single, it suddenly isn't an awful song anymore?
Anyone can say "awful" but that is a subjective if not lazy word.

Same way "thotiana" is an energetic happy song but some people can't get past blue face being upbeat.

You literally sound like Jungle on Genesis asking what's that bullshyt on the radio.

You sound like Biggie's friend's who couldn't appreciate Jazz, or people who were like "rap?...they're not even singing"

Some songs sound good to bump in a car, others to dance to in a club, some to play while in the gym, etc.

Some songs are meant to be broken down and appreciate for artistic complexities.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
you missed a lot

I Am had small world that was def an experiment
nastradamous had the christmas melody song
and hip hop is dead had him rapping like he was a detective from the 1930's

I never really saw "Small World" as an experiment. It's just another great storytelling joint in a long list of great storytelling joints from Nas. "Undying Love" is more of an experiment from that album.

"Shoot Em Up" I can see because it was weird to rap over.

I didn't cover "Who Killed It" because the post I was replying to already mentioned it.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
I was able to digest this a little more. I honestly can’t say it’s wack. That’s not to say I think it’s nice either. It’s just different. Definitely different than what I was expecting for this Lost Tapes project. But after thinking about it I guess it makes some sense that Nas would include something like this especially when you consider his history of experimenting with different concepts, ideas, beats, flows, and tributes. I can definitely see how it made its way onto a Lost Tapes. Excited to see what else is on there.