Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I been said that the problem with the song ain't Nas rapping. That's 99% never the problem with a weak Nas song. It's usually a wack chorus and a wack beat. The problem is never his rapping because he's the GOAT at rapping.

So yeah, he's flowing nice but over a beat that doesn't deserve it. It's a repetitive and annoying beat. I mean sure you can make the argument he picked the beat because it would be a challenge to flow to but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't sound good to my ears. The trumpet solo at the end is kinda cool but that's after the fact.

Sorry that's how I feel, deal with it and get over it.

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Al Jarreau before this dropped, but I did peep some of his songs and he had much better tracks to flip than this one. :yeshrug:

Yeah Al has better to sample in regards to beats in general (the album this original track is from has some heat) but not in regards to the point Nas was making with this track. It's not called Al Jarreau of rap/skattattack for nothing. Blue Rondo was a perfect choice.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Out of all Nas albums theirs three albums that I would question the single choices

Still three albums and is "Al Jarreau of Rap (Skat Attack)" really being pushed as a single? It's pretty much the first full new song they've released from LT2.

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:stopitslime: that al jarreau Sample flip is dope

Plus not many emcees could flex on that beat like Nas did.

Given how Al did his music he was damn near an emcee himself in regards to delivery, easily one of the goat vocal talents of all time

Anyone clowing the execution on this :camby:
That chorus/bridge thing was beyond corny. nikkas grew up on Nas, I caught chills when I first heard the ‘I gave you Power’ chorus, that’s the Nas I know. Like I don’t rock with Em at all cause even though he can rap, he made cornball music, so yeah Nas rapping his ass off and the flip is creative and all that but the song is corny AF, no hate to Jarreau.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Yeah Al has better to sample in regards to beats in general (the album this original track is from has some heat) but not in regards to the point Nas was making with this track. It's not called Al Jarreau of rap/skattattack for nothing. Blue Rondo was a perfect choice.

Trying to prove a point backfired. What went from a hyped album is now being put in doubt, people on Twitter are clowning on it and memeing it while the false narrative that Nas doesn't have a good ear for beats and fell off is being pushed again. We'll prolly forget all about this Thursday night when it drops but it hindered the buzz of the album instead of propelling it further.

flah_neon

Rookie
Daps
Illmatic- he's rapping written letters to he's friends who are locked up on "One Love" (which is experimenting with concepts). I think we all agree it worked

It Was Written- he tells a story from the perspective of a gun on "I Gave You Power". "Shootouts" has him experimenting with characters in the vein of "Gimme The Loot"

I Am- I guess "Dr. Knockboot" was somewhat of an experiment, but this one didn't work IMO.

Nastradamus- no real experiment besides his verse on "Last Words" where he does it from the perspective of a cell

Stillmatic- "One Mic" has experimenting with pitch, there's also "Rewind"

God's Son- "Book of Rhymes"

Street's Disciple- the whole Scarlett think and "Makings of a Perfect Chick"

Unititled- "Queens Get The Money" with him rhyming simply over a piano loop. There's "Prohect Roach"

you missed a lot

I Am had small world that was def an experiment
nastradamous had the christmas melody song
and hip hop is dead had him rapping like he was a detective from the 1930's

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
you missed a lot

I Am had small world that was def an experiment
nastradamous had the christmas melody song
and hip hop is dead had him rapping like he was a detective from the 1930's
Small World wasn't an experiment track, it was storytelling at it's finest. Money Is My bytch was the experiment track.