Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

CHERUB

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
Everybody should pre order the album in this thread. It's only $10 on nasirjones.com

Great idea. Im OG fan tho i still own the orginal silver illmatic cd..i stood in the pouring rain in times square for 4 hours by my damn self for bruh. Not to mention the many 5 hour Nas v Jay arguments i endured online AND Off. I think he be cool wit the Tidal stream :russ:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
True but why the fukk make this as a single smh

Is this really a single though or just something they released off the album?

When have Nas singles ever made any sense outside of "If I Ruled The World", "Nas Is Like", "You Owe Me", "Made You Look" or "Hate Me Now". We can go through every Nas album and find songs and question why certain songs were never singles and why he released the ones he did. Nas rarely puts out obvious choices as "singles".

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What are all these experimental songs people keep alluding to besides “Who Killed It”?
Every album? What was Illmatic’s? IWW’s? LT1’s? Is Cherry Wine considered experimental? Off Nasir is it “Everything”?
LT2 can be amazing, but for him to give the world a small taste and it be this, was the wrong decision and don’t see how that could ever be defended.

Illmatic- he's rapping written letters to he's friends who are locked up on "One Love" (which is experimenting with concepts). I think we all agree it worked

It Was Written- he tells a story from the perspective of a gun on "I Gave You Power". "Shootouts" has him experimenting with characters in the vein of "Gimme The Loot"

I Am- I guess "Dr. Knockboot" was somewhat of an experiment, but this one didn't work IMO.

Nastradamus- no real experiment besides his verse on "Last Words" where he does it from the perspective of a cell

Stillmatic- "One Mic" has experimenting with pitch, there's also "Rewind"

God's Son- "Book of Rhymes"

Street's Disciple- the whole Scarlett think and "Makings of a Perfect Chick"

Unititled- "Queens Get The Money" with him rhyming simply over a piano loop. There's "Prohect Roach"

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've seen some comments now about how this is cool just not as a single. Please explain how this wouldn't have been wack if this wasn't a single? If this wasn't a single, it suddenly isn't an awful song anymore?

Given it's been a 16 year wait for LT2 and this is the first full new song people hear, the expectations were high. Hearing it in the context of an album, this song gets nowhere near the hate if most of the others are straight fire. Yes, it probably would still be hated, but nowhere near the magnitude that it is now. This is kind of a first impression, and it's an experimental song that was going to divide fans and casuals alike.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I've seen some comments now about how this is cool just not as a single. Please explain how this wouldn't have been wack if this wasn't a single? If this wasn't a single, it suddenly isn't an awful song anymore?

Because as the single, it's the first song people hear from the album. It sets the conversation and tone...and both have been very negative. Whereas if it wasn't a single, I'm sure it would be clowned but people would focus their attention on the other, better tracks. Assuming the album is good. People might say the album has one wack song but they like everything else, and keep it like that.

head shots101

North Bronx Blocks!!!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx Blocks
Is this really a single though or just something they released off the album?

When have Nas singles ever made any sense outside of "If I Ruled The World", "Nas Is Like", "You Owe Me", "Made You Look" or "Hate Me Now". We can go through every Nas album and find songs and question why certain songs were never singles and why he released the ones he did. Nas rarely puts out obvious choices as "singles".
Excuses bro.... This shyt is a poor choice for a single straight up

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I wonder what the producers who didn't make the cut are thinkin right now...Timbo, Large Pro, Primo...like my shyt didn't make the album but this did? Lol...

:stopitslime: that al jarreau Sample flip is dope

Plus not many emcees could flex on that beat like Nas did.

Given how Al did his music he was damn near an emcee himself in regards to delivery, easily one of the goat vocal talents of all time

Anyone clowing the execution on this :camby:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
:stopitslime: that al jarreau Sample flip is dope

Plus not many emcees could flex on that beat like Nas did.

Given how Al did his music he was damn near an emcee himself in regards to delivery, easily one of the goat vocal talents of all time

Anyone clowing the execution on this :camby:

I been said that the problem with the song ain't Nas rapping. That's 99% never the problem with a weak Nas song. It's usually a wack chorus and a wack beat. The problem is never his rapping because he's the GOAT at rapping.

So yeah, he's flowing nice but over a beat that doesn't deserve it. It's a repetitive and annoying beat. I mean sure you can make the argument he picked the beat because it would be a challenge to flow to but that doesn't change the fact that it doesn't sound good to my ears. The trumpet solo at the end is kinda cool but that's after the fact.

Sorry that's how I feel, deal with it and get over it.

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Al Jarreau before this dropped, but I did peep some of his songs and he had much better tracks to flip than this one. :yeshrug:

Last edited: