Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
I am as open minded as can be but this really should have been left on the cutting floor. I love Nas is creative and has no fear, but it is just not a good song. Nas always gets a few dud passes for me, so to write off the album on basis of this is a bit stupid - Braveheart Party, Zone Out exist amongst classic/near classic albums. Will await the finish product though...
Zone Out gets a bad rep

I can’t put Jarreau Of Rap in the same class, Zone Out is an example of an unorthodox sounding Nas record executed nicely imo. It’s hard, gritty, gutter street shyt

Jarreau Of Rap is too soft and goofy sounding

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker
Zone Out gets a bad rep

I can’t put Jarreau Of Rap in the same class, Zone Out is an example of an unorthodox sounding Nas record executed nicely imo. It’s hard, gritty, gutter street shyt

Jarreau Of Rap is too soft and goofy sounding

Yeah I find myself listening to Zone Out every once in a while. This is a no for me dog

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
But you’re one of the the most insane Nas stans on this board. Do you agree with that or not? And if you do, shouldn’t you objectively be able to admit no one should ever place any stock in anything you say pertaining to Nas’ shortcomings?

I’m objective. I said it earlier that I wouldn’t have led off with this track. If it were me, I would’ve come out the gate with the freestyle over the static track.

When I think of Lost Tapes, like everyone else, I want Nas to bring the fire but I understand that Nas is not just a rapper. Nas is an artist. Artist are super creative and Nas has displayed this over his career starting with I Gave you Power all the the way to now. I recognize the art in the song and also respect the fact that Nas payed homage to Al Jerreau.

From a hip hop head standpoint, it probably won’t be on my favorites list because of the music although it’s growing on me; but you can’t front on the lyrics. The most important thing for all of us to understand it that Nas is happy with it because he put it out so Nas is doing him.

New Jeruz Jewelz

Wavey Vertigo Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NJ
Think about it, this track may be doing exactly what the label wants, it's tied to memes, Twitter, critics which is a win if you think the finished product is fire. Set the tone with something that has us talking about the album. I know the minds involved have thought this out and expected this response

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
The song isn't as bad as the section in the Instagram clip makes it sound. I respect what Nas is trying to do. Maybe it would be cool if he created a different alter ego for the more experimental stuff?

Even if he put stuff out as "Nasir Jones", it would be nice to let us know if we should be expecting something artsy.

Gaaaaaadamn :dead:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Showed a few friends offline and they fukked with the song and didn’t know why others hated it. Possibly cause they more serious Hip Hop heads so may have appreciated the flow more. Had a look at other places online too and it seemed like here was the most critical overall, some others like it even though the reviews are certainly mixed. I stand by my own personal opinions after listening more, dope rapping but the hook bit could have been better, also it’s somewhat too short, as the end bit seems unfinished or just left to carry on. Could have put an extra verse even, I’d rate the song probably 3 out of 5. The rapping alone would rate a 4. I enjoyed listening to him rap on it, with the hook/gaps song could have bee even better. For the mases I don’t think it was the right song to put out because not everybody is going to get it, it’s an acquired taste, but I can’t hate on someone for experimenting with the flow, especially when it’s good, a few small adjustments and shyt would have been fire to me. Still may have worked better as a bonus though, something I would wanna hear again but maybe not all the time on an album.

Last edited:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I do find the double standards interesting though, Drake and many other wack rappers have multiple songs worse than this on every project. Obviously Nas is on another level to them but they don’t get the same ire.

I’m still looking forward to the project, but to be honest the tracklist when I saw it I knew this was going to be different than the original, The Lost Tapes sounded cohesive as a project, this 1 with some of the production and song names sounds like it’s going to be more just a collection of unreleased songs, which is fine cause the shyt is called The Lost Tapes, just the first 1 was so exceptional and somehow sounded like a real album that was made as an album...

Last edited:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Yo who the fukk told Nas to release this Seseme street bullshyt nikka.

This aint the one nikka. I hope lost tapes 2 ain’t Nas’s Revival.

Hey, let's not say things we can't take back. :whoa:

On one hand, I don't think it's fair to judge this album by the same standards as a brand new studio album. A compilation album of unreleased material isn't really meant to be that good. But considering the quality of the first Lost Tapes, and the fact that this is 17 years in the making, I guess that's the price you pay when you're following up an all-time classic.

Besides, if this album bombs, it will be Nas' Marshall Mathers LP 2. :mjgrin:

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think the album will be better than Nasir, more of a margin for error with more songs, we’ll see but I’d imagine this will maybe 4 mics. Will be disappointed a little if it’s less.