Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

Big Mark

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Anybody really even listening to what he is saying? Nas talkin shyt and clownin’ Rappers. Lol. He in the pocket on this too. The horns in the background is dope.

Watch the critics show mad love!

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Lol. Some people tripped on I Can, some people tripped on Bridging the Gap. This is a Lost Tape my brothas!! Someone already said it. Without tracks like this, you wouldn’t get I Can or Bridging the Gap. :mjtf:

If that's your argument, I don't want to see how the sausage is made then lmao. This is just...not it. Not at this moment. Not your first single. Hell nah.

Anybody gonna be bumping this in the whip this weekend?

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Putting this Jarreau shyt out was a bad idea, simple and plain. I tried no
If that's your argument, I don't want to see how the sausage is made then lmao. This is just...not it. Not at this moment. Not your first single. Hell nah.

Anybody gonna be bumping this in the whip this weekend?

You right, Piff. I'm as big a Nas fan as there is but there's no rationalizing putting this shyt on the album or as the teaser song a weak before it drops.

With that being said, I still think LT2 gonna be dope as fukk and still can't wait til it drops next week.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Nobody appreciates Nasty Nas over boom bap more then me but as a fellow poster already stated, Nas over that same ole NY street shyt makes him Tragedy. I’m feelin it more and more with each listen

This is a false equivalency. The choice is not between being Tragedy with dusty beats, or Nas with...stuff like this, because lord knows if Nas rapped over shyt like this regularly his career would be over lmao. I said earlier a lot of people wanted Nas to be OC and I stand by that...but there's a nice balance when it comes to picking beats...IF you got a good ear. Having some "trapped in the 90s" beats is fine. Having some modern beats is fine. Having some experimental beats is fine. As long as the beat is hot. Watch The Throne has a Pete Rock beat from the 90s on it...but that shyt sounds so good it doesn't matter (and frankly, it has aged better than the trendy dubstep trash on that album...). Rick Ross always has beats on his albums that sound like they could have come out years ago...mixed in with the more current sounds. At his best, Ross manages to mix dope old school/sample beats with dope trap beats. That's all people are asking for.

Nas is always going to sound best over boom bap, hard drums. That's just who he is as a rapper. He rarely sounds good over trap...he can't really rap to those drums usually. Every song shouldn't be boom bap...but every Nas album should feature multiple tracks with hard drums IMO. That's his zone...that's his home court advantage.

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Nobody appreciates Nasty Nas over boom bap more then me but as a fellow poster already stated, Nas over that same ole NY street shyt makes him Tragedy. I’m feelin it more and more with each listen

But you’re one of the the most insane Nas stans on this board. Do you agree with that or not? And if you do, shouldn’t you objectively be able to admit no one should ever place any stock in anything you say pertaining to Nas’ shortcomings?

S.W.A.G.

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am as open minded as can be but this really should have been left on the cutting floor. I love Nas is creative and has no fear, but it is just not a good song. Nas always gets a few dud passes for me, so to write off the album on basis of this is a bit stupid - Braveheart Party, Zone Out exist amongst classic/near classic albums. Will await the finish product though...

FrankieLymon757

All Star
Supporter
Daps
I recant my statement...I see what he was doing...just verbally sparring over a Al Jerreau beat..definitely not meant to be heard by the masses on a major scale..and definitely not LT material..sounds like it needed placement on sum Al jerreau duets type album where old meets new like Evolution of a Groove wit Miles Davis..I respect it for the experimental factor and its homage to a legend but u cant lead off or even get the masses in a frenzy wit this type of track. Nas always does the opposite of what's expected of him anyway...next Friday the gawd returns and I can't wait !

Canada Goose

Pooping on your head :umad:
Daps
Reppin
A lake near Tampa FL
Listening now, that beat :Philhaha::Philhaha::laff::laff::laff:

full