Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Why does Lost Tapes even need a “single”?!
I actually don’t think it should. The first one had no single, nothing.

But I’m just not worried the rest will sound like this. This is clearly a super experimental song and I can see why they might release it leading up to this, because love it or hate it, it’s a perfect example of a song that would be left off an album.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh it's that 90's young thug interpretation of real rap, only for the heads heads, i feel you nas !!!

actually nah, not at all

guess ill just buy his old albums

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
It’s the age old question: should artist evolve or just keep doing what made people become fans?

I guess it’s different for everyone but FOR ME it’s very much the latter with Nas and Kanye. That being said I’m still excited for the project.

The thing is. Nas IS doing what made people become “fans” of him. Hip Hop heads became fans with Illmatic. Mainstream became fans with IWW and I am. He balanced the two beautifully on Stillmatic. The “Grown Man” Music heads got fed with Gods Son and Streets Disciple whilst the “trapped in the 90’s” nikkas got their “illmatic sequel” with the OG Lost Tapes. The Def Jam era was about Nas maturing into an elder statesmen who still had mainstream clout and building his business brands.

So what about Nas’s career suggests that he’s had any more success NOT doing what he’s done?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Anybody know who the A&R was that put together the first Lost Tapes? They did an exceptional job of identifying which tracks should make the cut.

whoever that A&R was worked for Columbia. These tracks are ALL from the Def Jam era, a different label which would have different A&R’s

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
I was thrown off after first listen but after a couple of listenings not bad, just different and sometimes different doesn't work. This actually works well if you play Bridging The Gap after it, kind if like an intro track or something.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
The thing is. Nas IS doing what made people become “fans” of him. Hip Hop heads became fans with Illmatic. Mainstream became fans with IWW and I am. He balanced the two beautifully on Stillmatic. The “Grown Man” Music heads got fed with Gods Son and Streets Disciple whilst the “trapped in the 90’s” nikkas got their “illmatic sequel” with the OG Lost Tapes. The Def Jam era was about Nas maturing into an elder statesmen who still had mainstream clout and building his business brands.

So what about Nas’s career suggests that he’s had any more success NOT doing what he’s done?
I feel like he balanced them both perfect on IWW. Pure street album right there. With hit records.