Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

waynep

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man it's 4am and I'm still trying to make sense of this..
I mean with the success of Old Town Road did
they think the world was ready for something
like this LOL Smh

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Nas fans' reactions collectively to hearing this

iCDqRcm.gif

Fortunate Lee

Superstar
Daps
That was a dope ass track

Y’all just got used to trash ass hip hop..keep
Listening!

5/5

CHAIN

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Cabo Verde
The fact that Nas can flow his ASS off to such an....unorthodox beat such as this speaks to his overall talent as an MC.

90% of todays rappers wouldn’t know how to properly flow on a beat like this if you literally put a gun to their Mother’s heads and told them rap for her freedom...

From what Nas is saying on the track this is DEFINITELY A Hip Hop Is Dead leftover. I halfway expected this to be produced by Will I Am upon hearing the opening beat. And Nas was in super experimental mode trying to get his point across on that album.

Also people have to remember that Nas is the son of a Jazz Legend (Olu Dara) and has stated numerous times the influence that had on him as a child. I can imagine young Nas listening to Al Jarreau as a youngin.

All that said. The production is a little too “busy”’ so its very jarring off of first listen. Its one of those tracks that might’ve benefited from not being sampled so close to the original and reworked a bit, but then that probably wouldn’t have inspired him. Nas is one of those artists that is heavily inspired by nostalgia.

If this is the “worst” track on a 16 track album I can live with it. Nas has experimented on every single one of his albums since IWW and some of those tracks are classics (I Gave You Power, Undying Love, Rewind, Book Of Rhymes) while some are controversial (Live Now, Makings Of A Perfect bytch, Who Killed It)

You don’t get songs like Black Bond without Jarreau Of Rap. They all come from the same creative pool.

Also this should prove without a DOUBT that Nas writes his own shyt. Who else is going to write to and flow off something like THIS :russ:

You're a dope poster. But you look crazy right now.

Please stop.

The Ruler 09

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
His flow was good on the joint, I liked the flow when he was rapping. The thing he repeats that acts somewhat as a hook seems to be there too much and isn't that good. It sounds a bit out of place, may be the tone. I fukk with it when he's actually rapping, the hook not so much, cause it breaks it up a little too much, if he just spit through could have iller, would have fukked with it more. Rapping is dope though, I see where he's going with it and am not mad at that kind of experimentation at all, it just wasn't done perfectly, good points and some flaws. This would work better as a bonus track than on the project probably but I understand it's on the project.

Last edited: