Albums Nas - The Lost Tapes 2 (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The fact that Nas can flow his ASS off to such an....unorthodox beat such as this speaks to his overall talent as an MC.

90% of todays rappers wouldn’t know how to properly flow on a beat like this if you literally put a gun to their Mother’s heads and told them rap for her freedom...

From what Nas is saying on the track this is DEFINITELY A Hip Hop Is Dead leftover. I halfway expected this to be produced by Will I Am upon hearing the opening beat. And Nas was in super experimental mode trying to get his point across on that album.

Also people have to remember that Nas is the son of a Jazz Legend (Olu Dara) and has stated numerous times the influence that had on him as a child. I can imagine young Nas listening to Al Jarreau as a youngin.

All that said. The production is a little too “busy”’ so its very jarring off of first listen. Its one of those tracks that might’ve benefited from not being sampled so close to the original and reworked a bit, but then that probably wouldn’t have inspired him. Nas is one of those artists that is heavily inspired by nostalgia.

If this is the “worst” track on a 16 track album I can live with it. Nas has experimented on every single one of his albums since IWW and some of those tracks are classics (I Gave You Power, Undying Love, Rewind, Book Of Rhymes) while some are controversial (Live Now, Makings Of A Perfect bytch, Who Killed It)

You don’t get songs like Black Bond without Jarreau Of Rap. They all come from the same creative pool.

Also this should prove without a DOUBT that Nas writes his own shyt. Who else is going to write to and flow off something like THIS :russ:

AMcV'88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, Downtown, Switzerland
hilarious that thats the most effort he's put into his flow/delivery in about the last 10 years and it was for that bullshyt.
i get what he's trying to do but this should have stayed in the vault.

tell us you're dropping Lost Tapes 2, get everyone excited and drop what sounds like a parody.
shyt sounds like it belongs on some cartoon.

I knew nikkas was gon run with the “you dont get it/you’re not advanced enough” narrative man lmao

Nas could mush their mother out the way in the supermarket, she falls, cracks a hip and they'd find a way to make an excuse for Nas.

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
giphy.gif

looks like gibbs AOTY remains safe for another week.

:whew:

seriously though i hope the rest of the album is better than this, some shyt needs to stay in the vault though. :yeshrug:

does nas really not record that much though or something? supposedly kendrick got like a hundred tracks that ain't been released within like the last 5 years, but this apparently in like the top 20 unreleased nas tracks of the past 15 years?

that's kinda :picard:

• Dap
Reactions: Kai

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Not a good look when your first official release/"single" is getting completely flamed by fans, and on twitter. Just saying...clearly a lot of tracks on the album that would have been better to release to garner buzz a week before release. Last thing you want to do is release a track that's worse than anything on the previous LT album...

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France
This shyt is getting memed to death now. Thats a buzz and if the album ends up being dope everybody gonna act suprised because of this track that the majority of people don't like.

And we know the album is gonna sounds way different judging from the tracklist, thats just a goofy experimental song, i'm not even mad at it.