Nas & Premier Album "DJ Premier Needs to Come Correct because Pete Rock and Q Tip is Bringing Heat to Common & LL"

Mike Wins

All Star
Daps
I can pull up posts from threads made just LAST YEAR with people bytching about Hit-Boy and clamoring for Premo and any other Illmatic producer thats still active plus a side helping of Alchemist.

Facts. When it come to Nas, there's a large contingent that complain no matter what he do. Been that way since IWW.

I got faith Premier and Nas know the expectations that's gonna come with this and will deliver. It's not gonna be an album full of Memory Lane and Nas Is Like but will be dope. Define My Name beat was just alright, Nas killed it though, but seem like it was just a loosie, an appetizer to announce the album. Doubt it's even on there unless as a bonus track.

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It has to be better than those joints as it's more anticipated plus riff with Pete... also must be better than KD3/Magic.

Edit:

Also at this point I'd rather Alc or Large handle a Nas project.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Listen to that LL and Q Tip track bruh. That shyt sounds insane. If I'm Nas right now. I'm getting Hit Boy and Alc in the studio with Premo for quality control purposes.

Yea...this is basically my fear. Premo mainly makes beats when making albums, whereas Alch and all those other guys are constantly creating, digging, re-doing beats, etc. I'm not gonna draw conclusions yet, way too early and I'm sure there will be some dope beats on the album but man...this can't just be the same Boom/Nas Is Like/etc retread tracks Premo has been doing for decades.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
The thing with Primo, is that he's not making beats everyday like he used to. He's not locked in like that anymore. And over the years, he's been giving people beats that sound like joints he already had in the stash. And they're just happy to get a beat from him.

But Tip and Pete both say they work on music everyday! They never stopped digging and creating. So that's why their sh*t is still dope. They didn't take any time off. Primo has to get back to focusing on just music again, and leave all the other things he's trying to do alone for a minute.

I know Premier said that if he isn't working on a project or a track, he's not working at all. I don't know if that's always been the case, but maybe he just doesn't see the point in working for the sake of it like Dre does.

Also, when Premier was in his prime, he was highly in demand and working with everybody. He was producing entire albums for Gang Starr and the Foundation members (Jeru, Group Home) alongside producing for the elite rappers in NYC (Nas, Jay, Biggie, KRS, Mos Def). He found his groove and stuck to it even though people wanted him to change. He's even compared himself to AC/DC in the past because they've both been criticized for being repetitive.

Everybody loved the first PRhyme album, and One of the Best Yet had great production. Premier got no credit for taking a bunch of old Guru verses and making a cohesive, entertaining project out of them. It was literally a Gang Starr album in 2019. If he was able to pull that off, I have no doubt he'll be able to lock in with the greatest MC of all-time and make something great.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I find it hilarious that for the past three years while Nas was locked in with one of the three best producers of their generation a certain “trapped in the 90’s” segment was bytching about him not working with DJ Premier and now that ya’ll’s audio wet dream is FINALLY about to come true now its “Premo isn’t good enough anymore”.

I’ve always been relieved that Nas doesn’t give a flying 747 F U C K about what his “fans” demand of him and just keeps doing what he wants. Its what kept him around and relevant the last 30 years. The man did SIX ALBUMS IN THREE YEARS and all SIX of them were fire! No rapper has ever done that before. If Nas wants to switch gears and work with Premo (who its confirmed provided a little bit help and guidance to Hit-Boy during the run) then that means Premo’s got something that inspired him and an inspired Nas is something we should ALL want to hear.

This is certainly a far point and impossible to deny. He's being judged through a mixture of nostalgia and this perpetual "smarten up Nas" lens where people assume whatever he does is a bad decision, making it easy to offer suggests of what he should do instead.

For me personally I wasn't saying he needed to do an album with Premo, although I certainly wanted to hear them do a track together again. I personally am more into the idea of an album with multiple producers VS one.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
It has to be better than those joints as it's more anticipated plus riff with Pete... also must be better than KD3/Magic.

Edit:

Why only Nas got that type of pressure to prove something, especially at 50 ? Can't he deliver a project for fun without "fans" being that picky

And don't tell me it's because he's the goat and got goat pressure because no one put these types of high expectations about jay or eminem or every other goat contender

Braman

Superstar
Daps
The thought of big name producer collabs do nothing for me. There’s just too many producers out there making fire to force a big name collab. Also chemistry matters. Ie Kendrick. Casuals still begging for a Dre album and it’s like, ngga for what :heh: The dudes he has chemistry with have been in a groove for a decade now. He dont need Dre

Lastly, one of Nas’ best songs came from a 17 year old contest winner. I don’t care about forced collabs

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Edit:

"Has to" makes it sound like Nas has been in a rut or something and needs to make a good project again to break a streak. Worries about beats aside I'm gonna assume the Nas album will be solid at the very least. Flip side I haven't really felt a Common project in long time. That's part of why these 3-4 tracks we've heard from Pete and him have surprised me so much. I thought Common was just checking off a bucket list item or something but nah, this shyt sounds amazing.

The LL shyt is kind of similar. Q-Tip has been making amazing shyt for awhile now so I knew the beats would be dope, I just didn't expect LL to be rapping that hard in 2024.

Life is Good

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The fact that some of y’all think that Nas is gone to be pressured bc of what y’all think about LL/Q-Tip & Common/ Pete Rock albums is laughable.

Nas/Prem will release if they feel like it. Besides Nas is working on other ventures besides music. He gave his fans 6 albums in 3 yrs.