Nas - NASIR (Discussion Thread)

Yagirlcheatinonus

Icon Poster
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Album is dope

Adam and Eve is just dope. I just don’t like you internet music critic ass nikkas. You got that 3 really good albums just enjoy the music. Kanye and Nas came with it

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I feel so weird with my opinions on this. Right now I'm sitting somewhere in between 3.5 to 4 mics which doesn't seem that high but is still really good. I want to love this album but right now I just like it. Something is off and I don't know how to explain it. It's like the raps are good and the beats are good but there's still a disconnect that's keeping it from being 4+ mics. Maybe if it were just a few tracks longer? I dunno.

I think it's incredible that Nas is 25+ years deep in the game and is still able to craft really good music. I don't want to sound like a hater at all, but I just think as far as Kanye and Nas collabs go that Still Dreamin' and We Major sounds better than any song on here. Again maybe that will change after some more time to sit with this.

Baka's Weird Case

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
I fukk with this album, but I just have never been hype about the idea of a Nas album produced by Ye. I loved Still Dreaming but that was a different Ye that we'll never see again. I was very intrigued to hear Kanye's sound on Pusha, his own, and his collab album with Cudi because I wanted to see where his mind was production-wise leading into a Nas album. I fukk with those albums heavy, but I was definitely apprehensive about how Nas would come off on this type of sound/energy. My fears seem to be well placed. It feels like Nas is just featured on this album as opposed to it being his project. He's spitting, but it's Nas, what else would you expect? Life is Good was a Nas album through and through. This seems like part of the Kanye return tour. I fukk with it sonically, but these two have never been a pair I was hype to see work together.
more or less this is how i feel

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Off first listen I fukk with this. This production actually fits Nas pretty well and Nas does what he does best, rapping his ass off.

I’m trynna figure out why people don’t like the production on here. I can see some people not like Cops Shot The Kid but other than that, these beats are dope
I like the production. What throws me on it is it has vibes of producers that arten't Kanye, and I almost wish if Kanye was gonna give Nas some Madlib type shyt than Kanye would've just brought in Madlib and given him the real thing.

EDIT: I think I realized what is throwing me. Ultimately my issue is that as a very big fan of EPs and short projects, I think it's important for them to have a fairly similar sound. I don't mean every track has to sound the same, but I don't think short projects (like a 7 song album) is the best place to use a lot of different sounds and types of songs, because you don't have long to establish a sound. Kanye is doing a lot of different sounds and styles here, which I respect, but I think this many sounds and styles would lend itself better to a full length album and not an EP.

Arithmetic

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Theres only really one line that should have been re-recorded:

Not for radio:
"In the process of dominance."

I don't like how the beat cutoff on Simple Things. They need to fix that and reupload
Found another line on Not for radio that should have been re-recorded:

"Swat was created to stop the Panthers."

Clapsteel O'Neal

put a red dot on your head like a hindu
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cops shot the kid, bonjour, adam and eve and simple things are up there with anything nas has done

not for the radio and white label have obnoxious beats so I doubt I'll be returning to them much

too much crooning from kanye for me to return to everything although i can understand why others love this song, just a personal preference

simple things to me is testify part 2 and not for the radio sounds like it was left off HHID

simple things (minus the drake chorus and flow) and bonjour are fuccin amazing, and i can't help but dance when listening to cops shot the kid...

krackdagawd

Inspire.
Daps
Reppin
Another Gold Medal
Can we just appreciate how Nas and Jay are out here still dropping quality projects. Meanwhile Eminem dropping :trash:

Just goes to show he doesn't belong in their weight class. In boxing skill/class shows over time, just goes to show his skill level isn't where theirs is. No hate either but I am a fam of TES and his first album. but yeah.