Nas - NASIR (Discussion Thread)

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
I know...it doesn't surprise me though. Nas has a fair amount of smart-dumb raps, and so it doesn't surprise me.

:whoa: Nas stans please don't roast me too bad for saying he's got some smart-dumb raps. I think he's probably the best rapper to ever do it.
He dropped out in middle school.

Adam and Eve sounds familiar to Otis from Watch The Throne. Y'all know what I mean.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Just goes to show he doesn't belong in their weight class. In boxing skill/class shows over time, just goes to show his skill level isn't where theirs is. No hate either but I am a fam of TES and his first album. but yeah.
Yeah man. Em really only had a 5 year run or so, tops, with no genuine classics (although MMLP is a Rolling Stone classic album).

Nas and Jay can always be counted on to drop strong projects, even if they have some mis-steps, and their best albums are some some the best albums in all of music, period.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Just goes to show he doesn't belong in their weight class. In boxing skill/class shows over time, just goes to show his skill level isn't where theirs is. No hate either but I am a fam of TES and his first album. but yeah.
It has nothing to do with skill level. It's that Jay and Nas still sound the same as they did when they first debuted. There's that consistency. Eminem hasn't been consistent since the 8 Mile soundtrack.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu

Why does everyone (including me) always forget about this when it comes to Nas/Premier collabs?

I feel like it's never talked about.

EDIT: Yeah I guess it's probably the worst one they've done. It sounds more like they tried to recreate Nas Is Like.

Last edited:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I bought Nastradamus in either late 99, or closer to spring 2000, after "You Owe Me", as an 8th grader, and that song was always kind of bland, though I liked it more back then.

Even not knowing all the history and context of the song, and Premier on the beat, it was kind of uninspired. This was Nas era of some of the more regrettable phase of the Escobar era, lyrics were lazier and seemed like he was (and later admitted to being) a little adrift in the late 90's excess.

There are so few memorable lines from Come Get Me, it's really very forgettable.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
It’s not among their best. Plus the jay song that came out the same year with the same title is better :yeshrug:
True on both counts.

I guess I never thought that there has to be a "worst collab" between Nas and Preem, but there does. Nas Is Like, 2nd Childhood, I Gave You Power, NY State of Mind, Memory Lane, and Represent are all better. I may be forgetting a couple, but those are for sure a step above.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Kanye straight jacked an unknown producer's album cover and Adam and Eve beat

:snoop::snoop:

:ohhh:

Damn...if it was just the beat I would be hesitant to believe it, just because so many people go after the same samples without realizing it. If I heard that sample I would've probably heard Nas on it in my mind. But with the picture too? Not sure what to think.

I gotta say this though...that producer picked a good loop but that No Idea's Original acapella that he put on there sounds off-beat as fukk and really bad.

deeznutz

All Star
Daps
Reppin
GTA
:ohhh:

Damn...if it was just the beat I would be hesitant to believe it, just because so many people go after the same samples without realizing it. If I heard that sample I would've probably heard Nas on it in my mind. But with the picture too? Not sure what to think.

I gotta say this though...that producer picked a good loop but that No Idea's Original acapella that he put on there sounds off-beat as fukk and really bad.
Kanye the goat even when he's stealing! :blessed::blessed::blessed: