Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We just making up rules for albums now?

Gods Son’s final track is Heaven. Its not even a bonus cut its the actual album outro track where Nas explains the concept and themes of the album right there in his own words at the end.

Every Ghetto is actually listed as a bonus track on Stillmatic. You’d have been better off with the argument that Stillmatic “ends” with What Goes Around.

When it comes to standard editions versus deluxe editions it gets murky. Best Buy carried both the deluxe and standard editions of Life Is Good at release and I brought both the CD Deluxe as well as the iTunes deluxe because iTunes deluxe came with an additional bonus song (Trust) If memory serves many reviewers and blogs reviewed the deluxe edition as the “true” version of the album. Nas himself said the deluxe is the true version of that album so thats what I roll with
I think gods son ends with heaven
Yeah y'all right, I meant Heaven is the last track on Gods Son. I was meaning that p*ssy Kills, Thugz Mirror and The G.O.D are bonus songs. But y'all proving my point on that. Cause even y'all saying Heaven is the last track.

I'm not saying y'all can't include bonus cuts in y'all's ratings of albums. But I'm saying as far as me, when I rate albums I'm only going by what is presented as being the actual album. Not the Best Buys version, not the City Circuit version, not the Deluxe version. Just the core album itself.

And the bonus tracks on LIG feel like bonus tracks. The don't really fit the flow of the album. The album structure, sequencing and theme of the album going back to the album cover, feels like it ends at Bye Baby. I might let Nasty slide as it was a single, but at the same time it came out damn near a whole year before the album. But Black Bond, Trust and then other joints feel like bonus cuts to me

That's just how I see it.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
You think if Nas promo’d more and was on a major he’d see a significant increase in his sales at 50 years old? 🤔, I don’t think so but I could be wrong. To me, someone with Nas’ stature and rank and prestige in hip hop, he doesn’t need a major, when he drops the people who are into Nas will know and cop/listen…I can’t see him gaining many new fans/consumers at this stage in his career, being on a major would just equate to less profit overall at this point.

He promo’d KD1 if I remember correctly, he did madd interviews and all that…plus it was fresh and new, new Nas!! Everyone was excited, and it sold what it sold, 🤷🏽‍♂️.

If Nas promo’d, had videos ready the day if release, and now most importantly, had BUNDLES ready the day of release he’d easily do KD1-KD2 numbers which nowadays is good enough to debut on the top 10.

The reason I say this is because its proven that Nas fanbase mostly purchases physicals and digitals, they don’t stream like that. A 35-50 year old doesn’t have time to stream an album FIFTEEN HUNDRED TIMES to equal one sale. But they’ll buy the album and bump in their free time. Every Nas album since KD1 hits number 1 on iTunes (these count as physicals) and his Merch always sells out to the point, after week 2 you gotta wait months and moths just to get a damn hoodie.

Now imagine if Magic 3 and the Hoodies or the rubix cube were bundled together and ready to ship out? Thats hella sales right there.

Nas obviously doesn’t want to play the sales “game” and thats fine with me. I think its obvious at this point that he cares more about his overall musical legacy than how many records he sells. Especially with streaming being as janky as it is

Budda

Superstar
Daps
I think the silent blackballing that’s going on with him at radio/other outlets is a bigger reason why a lot of the songs and shyt don’t crack off when they clearly, sonically and logically, can and should. Spicy, Replace Me, Wave Gods, Get Light, Rare, etc… what possible reason would radio have not to add these records to their rotation unless there’s some sort of vendetta there? For one, the songs would clearly work in the rotation. And for two, it’s Nas, maybe the most decorated and beloved artist we have left in rap besides Jigga. shyt is spooky

If Replace Me had Drake on it or Spicy had Cardi B or Nicki on it it would get plays, it’s simply aligning with the rappers who are moving and shaking in the younger generation, instead Nas puts a out his prime Ferg who wasn’t even that popular in his prime, its not a conspiracy or anything.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If Replace Me had Drake on it or Spicy had Cardi B or Nicki on it it would get plays, it’s simply aligning with the rappers who are moving and shaking in the younger generation, instead Nas puts a out his prime Ferg who wasn’t even that popular in his prime, its not a conspiracy or anything.
The songs are fire tho…and super radio-spins ready. And it’s Nas. Nah, I’m not conspiracy boul but ehh. I can see if them things you mentioned made the songs less hot or sumn.. I’m not talking about how he can get a big hit record…I just mean add it to the damn rotation…in New York!!! shyt crazy

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Nas probably didn’t want to go through the hassle of writing their verses for them

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Kinda not feeling Ebro’s energy but the other guy told the truth

I thought was a better mainstream discussion than most you hear about Nas.

One take I hear that does annoy me though is when someone says since this run if someone put Nas as the GOAT that’d be fair now. I’m like bruh it was fair to argue Nas the GOAT 20 years ago.

Artfull Dodger

All Star
Daps
I thought was a better mainstream discussion than most you hear about Nas.

One take I hear that does annoy me though is when someone says since this run if someone put Nas as the GOAT that’d be fair now. I’m like bruh it was fair to argue Nas the GOAT 20 years ago.
Lowkey was actually saying Nas wld be in the top 3 discussion based on what he did just now with hit (The six album run)
aside from the fact that he already is cemented there.
Mad appreciation for the 6 album run from him

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Lowkey was actually saying Nas wld be in the top 3 discussion based on what he did just now with hit (The six album run)
aside from the fact that he already is cemented there.
Mad appreciation for the 6 album run from him

Yeh that dude was giving serious props. But yeh it just reminded me of some of the comments I’ve heard who have acted like Nas as a GOAT only became valid since this run.

I liked the Jay fan giving an honest assessment also and admitting he had biases before.