Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
If Nas can get Asap Ferg, Fivio Foreign, Lebron James, Russell Westbrook, Lil Rel, and Asap Rocky to show up for videos then he can definitely get Lil Wayne
Lil Wayne respects the culture so I’m sure he would definitely do it. I mean he skipped out on a Jennifer Lopez video shoot to do a video for Noriega lol

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
Standards Vs Deluxes were a thing because for one, labels were only paying artists royalties on 12 songs per album. This is an old forum that discussed it and had it outlined

For two, brick and mortar stores like Best Buy and Walmart were often trying to compete with iTunes by offering bonus songs and bundles. Every Nas release on Def Jam had either a Best Buy or iTunes offer for bonus songs if you buy the album from them. For Hip Hop Is Dead Best Buy offered a free download for Where Ya’ll At. For Untitled, iTunes offered a bonus track called “Like Me”. For Distant Relatives, iTunes offered a bonus song called Ancient People. This all came to a head with Life Is Good. Best Buy not only offered the deluxe, they offered a bundle that included a poster and a T-Shirt. Itunes offered the bonus track Trust. Nas himself said the Deluxe was the true version of the album.

this has been the case since IWW

it had silent murder

my i am has nature shines and pray

my stillmatic has no idea, blck zombies, every ghetto, evrybody crazy

my nastradamus has hustlers/killers

my hhid has wher yall at

Last edited:

JYoung24

Young J
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree apart from the last part, you say the concert stadium joints but he’s biggest stadium joints are still from 99-2002, Made You Look, Hate Me Now, Oochie Wally, You Owe Me, etc, none of these recent songs really caught fire with mainstream crowds, and that’s partly down to Nas himself and the decisions he made.

Still the GOAT though regardless.

Nah 30 thun blue Benz get lite had had the stadium going crazy

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Imma say it like this. Nas isn’t selling much cause he’s on a fukking independent label and barely promotes his shyt. He also doesn’t tap the highest selling artists for features. There’s a game when it comes to this streaming shyt. He doesn’t play it. Another thing is this. The nikka pen didn’t fall off. Son just wrote 6 albums in 3 years. In between touring and business dealings, podcasts, etc etc. Son is busy as fukk. And still gettin busy on the mic.
You think if Nas promo’d more and was on a major he’d see a significant increase in his sales at 50 years old? 🤔, I don’t think so but I could be wrong. To me, someone with Nas’ stature and rank and prestige in hip hop, he doesn’t need a major, when he drops the people who are into Nas will know and cop/listen…I can’t see him gaining many new fans/consumers at this stage in his career, being on a major would just equate to less profit overall at this point.

He promo’d KD1 if I remember correctly, he did madd interviews and all that…plus it was fresh and new, new Nas!! Everyone was excited, and it sold what it sold, 🤷🏽‍♂️.

Last edited:

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
You think if Nas promo’d more and was on a major he’d see a significant increase in his sales at 50 years old? 🤔, I don’t think so but I could be wrong. To me, someone with Nas’ stature and rank and prestige in hip hop, he doesn’t need a major, when he drops the people who are into Nas will know and cop/listen…I can’t see him gaining many new fans/consumers at this stage in his career, being on a major would just equate to less profit overall at this point.

He promo’d KD1 if I remember correctly, he did madd interviews and all that…plus it was fresh and new, new Nas!! Everyone was excited, and it sold what it sold, 🤷🏽‍♂️. What artist in rap even near his age is doing numbers outside of Eminem? This is Neverland…Nas even doing the numbers he does and charting so high first week each time shows he is still relevant and necessary, and rare.
I 100% feel like if he was on a major and had better promo and features he would sell better. No question, lol

Budda

Superstar
Daps
You think if Nas promo’d more and was on a major he’d see a significant increase in his sales at 50 years old? 🤔, I don’t think so but I could be wrong. To me, someone with Nas’ stature and rank and prestige in hip hop, he doesn’t need a major, when he drops the people who are into Nas will know and cop/listen…I can’t see him gaining many new fans/consumers at this stage in his career.

He promo’d KD1 if I remember correctly, he did madd interviews and all that…plus it was fresh and new, new Nas!! Everyone was excited, and it sold what it sold, 🤷🏽‍♂️. What artist in rap even near his age is doing numbers outside of Eminem? This is Neverland…Nas even doing the numbers he does and charting so high first week each time shows he is still relevant and necessary, and rare.

KD1 and KD2 sold well, the combination is features and promo, Nas could still sell 50k first week with the right moves.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
KD1 and KD2 sold well, the combination is features and promo, Nas could still sell 50k first week with the right moves.
I think the silent blackballing that’s going on with him at radio/other outlets is a bigger reason why a lot of the songs and shyt don’t crack off when they clearly, sonically and logically, can and should. Spicy, Replace Me, Wave Gods, Get Light, Rare, etc… what possible reason would radio have not to add these records to their rotation unless there’s some sort of vendetta there? For one, the songs would clearly work in the rotation. And for two, it’s Nas, maybe the most decorated and beloved artist we have left in rap besides Jigga. shyt is spooky

Last edited:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I 100% feel like if he was on a major and had better promo and features he would sell better. No question, lol

I also think when you drop too much and with little to no heads up you run into danger of ppl not bothering to listen

This is what’s happened with Magic 2 and 3. Magic 3 is great but I do see some young folks talking about it sounds the same etc etc which is wild but there’s a thin line between the right formula and repetition.

He absolutely should not drop another album this year. Doesn’t matter if it’s Primo keep it in the clip for later in 2024. You don’t want be like Daz, E-40, Snoop one of these old heads on independence dropping like 5 albums ever year