Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
This one blows Magic 2 out the water.

At this point, Nastradamas is superior over that album....M2 is easily Nas weakest release, even tho the song with 50 Cent went in.

M3 is a breath of fresh air again, and its on par with KD3 in the lyricism department....These beats here are once again complimenting Nas

H.S.

All Star
Daps
I actually copped that and the tape even though I can’t solve rubix cubes, I could learn though lmao.

I ordered the rubix cube and now I'm regretting not ordering a 2nd one because I know once I start messing with it I'll never get it back to show the six albums lol.

To me this is the coolest idea for merch throughout this run. Salute to whoever came up with that idea.

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
facts.

if its on the cd, tape, digi or even exclusive overseas mail in bonus tracks

they all count as being on the album

@up in here

wit that said my stillmatic got a buncha songs from lost tapes
Nah. Life is Good ends with Bye Baby. That's the closer. Stillmatic ends with Every Ghetto. It Was Written ends with If I Ruled The World. God's Son ends at Dance.

Conceptually, the albums end there. The bonus cuts are bonuses.

As far as Life Is Good. I like the bonus tracks better than most of the album cuts. If they were on the actual album in place of some of the albums cuts I would rate LIG higher. But they are bonus tracks. So I don't include them when rating the album. Being tacked on the end also doesn't fit the album structure.

Tres Leches

Empire Business
Daps
Nah. Life is Good ends with Bye Baby. That's the closer. Stillmatic ends with Every Ghetto. It Was Written ends with If I Ruled The World. God's Son ends at Dance.

As far as Life Is Good. I like the bonus tracks better than most of the album cuts. If they were on the actual album in place of some of the albums cuts I would rate LIG higher. But they are bonus tracks. So I don't include them when rating the album. Being tacked on the end also doesn't fit the album structure.

I think gods son ends with heaven

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

We just making up rules for albums now?

Gods Son’s final track is Heaven. Its not even a bonus cut its the actual album outro track where Nas explains the concept and themes of the album right there in his own words at the end.

Every Ghetto is actually listed as a bonus track on Stillmatic. You’d have been better off with the argument that Stillmatic “ends” with What Goes Around.

When it comes to standard editions versus deluxe editions it gets murky. Best Buy carried both the deluxe and standard editions of Life Is Good at release and I brought both the CD Deluxe as well as the iTunes deluxe because iTunes deluxe came with an additional bonus song (Trust) If memory serves many reviewers and blogs reviewed the deluxe edition as the “true” version of the album. Nas himself said the deluxe is the true version of that album so thats what I roll with

Last edited:

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City

At this point, Nastradamas is superior over that album....M2 is easily Nas weakest release, even tho the song with 50 Cent went in.

M3 is a breath of fresh air again, and its on par with KD3 in the lyricism department....These beats here are once again complimenting Nas
Ain't no Big Girl Now on M2

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
We just making up rules for albums now?

Gods Son’s final track is Heaven. Its not even a bonus cut its the actual album outro track where Nas explains the concept and themes of the album right there in his own words at the end.

Every Ghetto is actually listed as a bonus track on Stillmatic. You’d have been better off with the argument that Stillmatic “ends” with What Goes Around.

When it comes to standard editions versus deluxe editions it gets murky. Best Buy carried both the deluxe and standard editions of Life Is Good at release and I brought both the CD Deluxe as well as the iTunes deluxe because iTunes deluxe came with an additional bonus song (Trust) If memory serves many reviewers and blogs reviewed the deluxe edition as the “true” version of the album. Nas himself said the deluxe is the true version of that album so thats what I roll with

Yeah I never heard the argument that tracks that's included on an official release, available from day one, don't count

Those days a lot of albums had various versions. It was record label and retailer marketing gimmicks. But I never had any version other than deluxe so that version always gonna be the "real" version to me. Like someone said earlier Nasty was literally the lead single, how you gonna say it don't count as part of the album? :dahell:

bigdaddy88

The King Of Power
Daps

Yea nastradamus,Nasir and street disciple for me are bottom 3 😂

Magic 2 is boardaline 3.5 star album just no real memorable tracks like that to me. But the songs ain't trash either

Mike Wins

Superstar
Daps
I used to think his pen was on the decline but nah, it’s just that on his older albums he used to body every song intentionally… he doesn’t do that anymore aside from KD3.

I kinda miss that from him, always being technically advanced on just about every song. He hasn’t lost it at all tho. I Love This Feeling, Jodeci Member, Based On A True Story, Speechless Pt. 2 still displays his elite skills on a technical perspective.

I think he intentionally dials it back. He’s been cited many times as being one to overthink his songs

He still better than basically anyone doing it right now. But the environment he came up in the music industry was almost a life or death struggle. Like if IWW flopped his career was over, in debt to Columbia, unable to release new music. That level of pressure combined with him being young and hungry, with competition like Pac and BIG, he couldn't afford to coast. Every track on that album he was operating on a ridiculous level lyrically, thematically, technically, and flow wise because he had no choice.

Can't replicate that mindset when you 50 years old and been rich a lot longer than you was broke. But he still obviously love to rap and make music and that come through in this series

Prolific_1011

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami-Wade County
Not to derail this thread...

But soon before LIG dropped, they asked Nas how many tracks were on the album, and he said 18 tracks. As far as I'm concerned LIG is 18 tracks. Those 18 tracks dropped on the very first day of release as the deluxe version. It's not some deluxe that dropped months later.

I think Nas' team were just trying something new with how sales were counted or something. So every Ghetto isn't a part of Stillmatic? Fetus isn't viewed as being on LT1?

Last edited:

The Dust King

A Childrens Story
Daps
Reppin
the tri-state
Nah. Life is Good ends with Bye Baby. That's the closer.

maybe on your CD

but on my CD mine ends with Trust lol

as far as im concerned anything released in tandem with an album is included and that goes for songs not included on the physical release

Silent Murder is the last song on IWW not If I Ruled

though i understand and respect your position i thoroughly disagree especially in your definition of bonus

as if the word bonus signifies extra but not related when it does not

it just is defined as extra usually complementary

clearly these songs are recorded during the albums sessions

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Not to derail this thread...

But soon before LIG dropped, they asked Nas how many tracks were on the album, and he said 18 tracks. As far as I'm concerned LIG is 18 tracks. Those 18 tracks dropped on the very first day of release as the deluxe version. It's not some deluxe that dropped months later.

I think Nas' team were just trying something new with how sales were counted or something. So every Ghetto isn't a part of Stillmatic? Fetus isn't viewed as part of LT1?

Standards Vs Deluxes were a thing because for one, labels were only paying artists royalties on 12 songs per album. This is an old forum that discussed it and had it outlined

For two, brick and mortar stores like Best Buy and Walmart were often trying to compete with iTunes by offering bonus songs and bundles. Every Nas release on Def Jam had either a Best Buy or iTunes offer for bonus songs if you buy the album from them. For Hip Hop Is Dead Best Buy offered a free download for Where Ya’ll At. For Untitled, iTunes offered a bonus track called “Like Me”. For Distant Relatives, iTunes offered a bonus song called Ancient People. This all came to a head with Life Is Good. Best Buy not only offered the deluxe, they offered a bundle that included a poster and a T-Shirt. Itunes offered the bonus track Trust. Nas himself said the Deluxe was the true version of the album.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
Standards Vs Deluxes were a thing because for one, labels were only paying artists royalties on 12 songs per album. This is an old forum that discussed it and had it outlined

For two, brick and mortar stores like Best Buy and Walmart were often trying to compete with iTunes by offering bonus songs and bundles. Every Nas release on Def Jam had either a Best Buy or iTunes offer for bonus songs if you buy the album from them. For Hip Hop Is Dead Best Buy offered a free download for Where Ya’ll At. For Untitled, iTunes offered a bonus track called “Like Me”. For Distant Relatives, iTunes offered a bonus song called Ancient People. This all came to a head with Life Is Good. Best Buy not only offered the deluxe, they offered a bundle that included a poster and a T-Shirt. Itunes offered the bonus track Trust. Nas himself said the Deluxe was the true version of the album.

not only that, but since the first single was nasty that was on the deluxe, I can't dissociate those songs from the retail