Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its a very weird, uneven read.

Like he seriously took the lines in TSK with Nas addressing his haters personally smh. Dude listened to that song and thought Nas was legit talking about him.
Yeah, by the sounds of it I think he will be double-locking his apartment door tonight and checking his closet for Nas.

Cyborg11

Rookie
Daps
KD2 is more structured from a songwriting standpoint. There’s specific themes, topics, and concepts which probably keeps the listener more grounded.

Nobody, My Bible, Moments, No Phoney Love, Death Row East probably easier to digest for folks

Magic 3 is mostly stream of consciousness, open mic slam poetry. You got the storytelling Based On True Events pt 1 & 2, then No Tears. That’s pretty much it for songs with a centralized topic lol

I think y’all that say KD2 is more lyrical are insane tho. I remember people pointing to Death Row East as an example of Nas’ storytelling prowess, like nawl. D.R.E to me is just Nas reminiscing on events… Based On True Events pt 2 is the first time I’ve heard him get in that bag in a lonnnnnnng time. That shyt is vintage Nas all the way down to the intricate rhyme patterns & conversational flow

Agree with this take. For me the top 4 albums from this run (KD2, M1, KD3, M3) are generally the same quality, but the marginal differences come down to overall lyrical performance/concepts.

KD3 - Clearly the best overall, everything came together. Nas' sharpest lyrical performance in the run, long satisfying verses, concept tracks, good beats.

Magic 1 - While it lacks the concept tracks and depth of say KD3 and KD2, it's arguably Nas best and most consistent showcase of flow in the entire run. Literally sounded like IWW/Lost Tapes level flows, effortless

KD2 - Imo the album with the most interesting, lush production, good concept/themed tracks, nice features but is honestly held back from its potential because of Nas performance. Hes great of course, but if he rapped with the intensity, flows and lyricism of KD3/M1 it would undisputably be the best project in the run.

Magic 3 - Very strong, the return of vintage storytelling Nas, but the lyricism is not quite at the level of KD3 and I think he had better flows on M1. I wanted a little more production wise too, which is why I have it at 4

BiggWebb79

You Don't Have The Answers...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elm City
HipHopDX review

3.8/5. I feel like the reviewer was kind of reaching to find something to criticize for. He mentioned Pretty Young Girl as a low point when in my opinion its one of the strongest joints and he singles out Nas rapping against A.I. as something bad saying that fans would rather hear Nas rap about street shyt (again, putting him in the Illmatic box)

But have a read for yourselves
"Magic 3 mostly just sounds like another solid Nas and Hit-Boy collab, but without a doubt their least interesting material of the series. This album lacks new direction and feels like leftover tracks of Magic 2 packaged together as an add on.":wtf:This sounds nothing like Magic 2, HipHopDx is just like PitchFork when it comes to Nas smh...
bye-annoyed.gif

Sad Bunny

they/them
Supporter
Daps
Verse is highly overrated. I get it though, Weezy's delivery and flow is something else on it. But after the auditory sensations of hearing guideline, timeline, pipeline, etc., there isn't much there. Every time I hear the song, the verse becomes less impressive every listen. So while I truly believe that Nas had the better verse, Wayne's verse obviously SOUNDS better.
Wayne got Nas stans in their feelings :laff:

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I like Nastradamus. Come n beat me...tf

Y'all accuse others of forcing opinions WHILE FORCING YOUR OPINION.

Where is the self awareness
Yeah, it's all opinions... and I don't think Magic 2 is bad, just the worst of the series and not near Magic.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Saw the comment regarding his health and recent productivity

Don't think he has any issues but believe there is a connection between him aging, the covid world stopper, less bullshyt happening in his personal life, finding a crime partner in chauncey that can actually deliver dope beats that suit his taste so the planets just aligned for this.

And to hear that there are rumors for more... I'll give my wishful thinking as well: would like to hear the material that was overseen by Joshua Kyambo Hiphop, the Timbo, Sinatra in the sands stuff, just really curious about that

Other than that I'd rather not criticise anything and say that I very much appreciate this output, salute to both of them !!

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Man salute to Hit. And you have to have tough skin to produce for Nas. Drown out the BS.

Hit been getting way more love than hate honestly. I’ve been saying after KD1 dropped, was hot, and won the Grammy he’s been good money for those that matter in the industry.

Dude executive produced for Big Sean, Benny, and did full albums with Dreezy and Musiq Soulchild. He just said on Twitter he’s going to take some time off and then work on his father’s debut album. He also said him and Alchemist got something coming

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
"Magic 3 mostly just sounds like another solid Nas and Hit-Boy collab, but without a doubt their least interesting material of the series. This album lacks new direction and feels like leftover tracks of Magic 2 packaged together as an add on.":wtf:This sounds nothing like Magic 2, HipHopDx is just like PitchFork when it comes to Nas smh...
bye-annoyed.gif
You mean a 15 song album isn't leftovers from a 10 song album?

Where the hell did he come up with that leftover idea? The math ain't mathing. And like you said the styles are totally different.

Somehow I skipped that paragraph of the review, but now I see the review is dumber than I thought on my initial read.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Hit been getting way more love than hate honestly. I’ve been saying after KD1 dropped, was hot, and won the Grammy he’s been good money for those that matter in the industry.

Dude executive produced for Big Sean, Benny, and did full albums with Dreezy and Musiq Soulchild. He just said on Twitter he’s going to take some time off and then work on his father’s debut album. He also said him and Alchemist got something coming
I agree the love is definitely stronger , but human nature pulls you to the negative which I’m sure he can see. But he pushed through and provided us 6 dope albums. I’m appreciative.