Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I don’t think Wayne is on Nas level with the rapping but I def get what u saying, also. As far as Wayne smoking Show Me What You Got more than Jay. I don’t like to compare freestyles where the goal is to body the track to full songs that aren’t really required to be super lyrical like that.
I think it's a fine comparison in cases like that where whether it's Wayne's mixtape track or the original Jay song, both are basically brag raps and shyt talk. Wayne clearly won in that context. A better example to me would be God Did. Jay has this personal, introspective verse (with some slick talk in there too) and Wayne goes for some rap acrobatics. Granted Wayne's verse is really good on there, it's just that they were doing different shyt which makes it hard to 1:1 compare. Jay got him on there but he had a different focus and agenda on that verse compared to Wayne.

Never Die is both of them trading brag raps so it's more comparable to Show Me What You Got than God Did.

Avisible Man

S/N: 52093850
Daps
HipHopDX review

"NAS AND HIT-BOY’S ‘MAGIC 3’ IS MORE CLIFFHANGER THAN GRAND FINALE"

I don't know how anyone could listen to this record and make this claim. There's an urgency with the production, alone, that creates the soundscape of a grand finale. Its apparent from the first second of "Fever" to the last second of "1-800-Nas&Hit."

And I agree with you whole heartedly about "Pretty Young Girl." One of my favorite joints and I been humming the melody at random times the last couple days. :wow:

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Composure is probably the biggest violator of coasting.... Nas should have went in on that.

That’s one of the best verses of this run, Nas let us know literally how his parents met, this is what makes him special, he’s ability to interweave stories in tracks which you didn’t think will have that direction when you first see the title or see the first few seconds.

I think lyrically in terms of literary devices, metaphors, double entendres, and other stuff Magic 3 isn’t as good as KD2 and certainly not as good as KD3 which I feel includes Nas best lyrical performances of the last few years.

I like Magic 3 but the lyricism doesn’t stand out for me like his rhyming on Store Run Nobody or Nas is Good, or Legit on KD3, there’s some good performances and it’s rounded but musically and lyrically I think it pales in signficance, Nas tries a few nippier flows but that’s it I would rank it just above KD1(slightly).

I think the reviews would acknowledge this too, KD2 and 3 are by far the most critically acclaimed albums of this run.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
That’s one of the best verses of this run, Nas let us know literally how his parents met, this is what makes him special, he’s ability to interweave stories in tracks which you didn’t think will have that direction when you first see the title or see the first few seconds.

I think lyrically in terms of literary devices, metaphors, double entendres, and other stuff Magic 3 isn’t as good as KD2 and certainly not as good as KD3 which I feel includes Nas best lyrical performances of the last few years.

I like Magic 3 but the lyricism doesn’t stand out for me like his rhyming on Store Run Nobody or Nas is Good, or Legit on KD3, there’s some good performances and it’s rounded but musically and lyrically I think it pales in signficance, Nas tries a few nippier flows but that’s it I would rank it just above KD1(slightly).

I think the reviews would acknowledge this too, KD2 and 3 are by far the most critically acclaimed albums of this run.
It’s way above KD1 especially when it comes to tracks like Based On A True Story Pt 2, but I sorta understand what ur saying. He’s not rapping better on KD2 overall but KD2 is more polished overall if that makes sense.

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
From 2020 - 2023. Some rappers were online bullies and liars.

Nas stayed working in the studio. I mean most likely spent days on in.

The results are different.

Nas made 6 dope albums in 3 years. One Grammy winner.

Other rappers haven't dropped an album in ten years.

This is one of the greatest things in rap ever!

Real talk. Remember how crazy NY rappers went when Biggie rapped like Bone on Notorious thugs and that made Nas and Jay drop similar songs later on. An old school 90s rapper dropped multiple albums the way new artists drop multiple mixtapes in a short span but with that quality us old heads are used to. I wasnt even finished vibing to Magic 2 and Nas brought out the lobster before we finished the steak.

I hope he really did inspire his peers because i was at the yankee stadium hip hop 50 show and a lot of those artists got mad love and should continue to tour and get that money. White old music acts were touring all summer selling out shows we need to support ours the same

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
HipHopDX review

3.8/5. I feel like the reviewer was kind of reaching to find something to criticize for. He mentioned Pretty Young Girl as a low point when in my opinion its one of the strongest joints and he singles out Nas rapping against A.I. as something bad saying that fans would rather hear Nas rap about street shyt (again, putting him in the Illmatic box)

But have a read for yourselves
That pretty young girl beat is ridiculous and the way now floated on that beat was smooth as hell.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
It’s way above KD1 especially when it comes to tracks like Based On A True Story Pt 2, but I sorta understand what ur saying. He’s not rapping better on KD2 overall but KD2 is more polished overall if that makes sense.
KD2 is more structured from a songwriting standpoint. There’s specific themes, topics, and concepts which probably keeps the listener more grounded.

Nobody, My Bible, Moments, No Phoney Love, Death Row East probably easier to digest for folks

Magic 3 is mostly stream of consciousness, open mic slam poetry. You got the storytelling Based On True Events pt 1 & 2, then No Tears. That’s pretty much it for songs with a centralized topic lol

I think y’all that say KD2 is more lyrical are insane tho. I remember people pointing to Death Row East as an example of Nas’ storytelling prowess, like nawl. D.R.E to me is just Nas reminiscing on events… Based On True Events pt 2 is the first time I’ve heard him get in that bag in a lonnnnnnng time. That shyt is vintage Nas all the way down to the intricate rhyme patterns & conversational flow

JayBaldacci

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I like content of the verse... but in terms of word play and rhymes it's kinda light... still a great track. To me DRE, Rare, Moments and My Bible were the only joints he really went in on.

MikeStamina

All Star
Daps
what alternate version of this song are you listening to?

Some of you gotta accept that Wayne gibberish style is not for everyone. Some people like their raps more coherent n straight laced.....

Funny enough.....Em gets criticized for it... While Wayne gets praise

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
HipHopDX review

3.8/5. I feel like the reviewer was kind of reaching to find something to criticize for. He mentioned Pretty Young Girl as a low point when in my opinion its one of the strongest joints and he singles out Nas rapping against A.I. as something bad saying that fans would rather hear Nas rap about street shyt (again, putting him in the Illmatic box)

But have a read for yourselves
As is typical with some of these reviewers when it comes to Nas, dude was trying to do too much. The AI bars were nice to me and relevant; meanwhile he builds his review around a weak metaphor of the album as a cliffhanger to a big budget movie franchise.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
As is typical with some of these reviewers when it comes to Nas, dude was trying to do too much. The AI bars were nice to me and relevant; meanwhile he builds his review around a weak metaphor of the album as a cliffhanger to a big budget movie franchise.

Its a very weird, uneven read.

Like he seriously took the lines in TSK with Nas addressing his haters personally smh. Dude listened to that song and thought Nas was legit talking about him.