Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

H.S.

All Star
Daps
This was the performance with Half-a-Mil that Nas referenced on Based on a True Story Pt 1. I love his verse on here.

I remember Hit and Dom Kennedy caught a little flack for naming their group Half-a-Mil. Wonder if at some point they had a conversation about it and that’s what prompted the song.

Izanami

Superstar
Daps
No... Nas was coasting on KD2
I think he coasted when needed and let the production/vibe breathe. Tracks like 40 side, The Pressure, DRE. But he was still saying slick shyt. His mic performance on Composure, My Bible, Brunch on Sunday’s, Rare, Store Run and nobody were ill

ArchStanton

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Oh! The outro was from Wolf of Wall Street
Yeah, I knew it sounded familiar but couldnt place it until someone said it here. Weird story but I was walking to the field where my daughter's soccer game was last night and some kid getting ready for his game was humming it. I wouldn't have placed that without Nas referencing it on the album and it coming up here.

Pete Wrigley

Twerk, Petunia, Twerk!
Supporter
Daps
I think he coasted when needed and let the production/vibe breathe. Tracks like 40 side, The Pressure, DRE. But he was still saying slick shyt. His mic performance on Composure, My Bible, Brunch on Sunday’s, Rare, Store Run and nobody were ill
I'll say that the later portion of KD2 is probably my favorite collection of songs on an album in the KD/Magic series (if that makes sense).

Once "Store Run" drops, I just can't skip a song afterwards :whew:

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1). It doesn’t make sense strategically speaking to submit both albums. Vote splitting is a very real thing and can hurt more than help the chances of a nomination. Kanye West himself, in a rare moment of humility, admitted this regarding My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy/ Watch The Throne and that he should have timed the releases further apart because it cost him two Album Of The Year nominations.

1). Whatever you do, do NOT give the Grammys any sort of credit for sentimentality or respect for Hip Hop Is 50. That MIGHT HAVE been a good argument two years ago when the categories had their own selection and voting committee (this helped him win in 2021) but because of the fukkery with The Weeknd getting snubbed they did away with that and its back to being a free for all. The Grammys will use the 50th anniversary of Hip Hop to boost views & ratings sure, even have a gazillion rappers on stage for performances, but when it comes to handing out the trophies they’ll revert to their tried and true method of awarding whoever sold the most.

Trust me, I make the Grammys thread every year for the past several years. I’ve researched how the grammys operate THOROUGHLY. @Piff Perkins has homies who are actual Grammy voters and he’ll back up what I say. The Grammys don’t give a damn about “narrative” or any of that stuff. Especially when it comes to the rap categories. They award sales over acclaim, narrative, etc.

Basically would it be nice if the Grammys went against their long upheld though unwritten “rules” regarding awarding Best Rap album? Absolutely. Will they actually do so? Don’t hold your breath.
All great points

Prolific_1011

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Miami-Wade County
Ish jayz bias won’t allow him to be fair when judging Nas. Looks like Nas stole his girl or something. :mjlol: . This Nas 6 album run came out of no where and caught every off guard.:ahh:

Aside from Ish (why am I even typing this dude's name? Lol), what was their overall impression of the album?

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
KD1- Best singles (Ultra Black, Spicy, replace me, 27 Summers) Best bonus track (Spicy)

KD2- Best Intro (The Pressure) Best Guest Features (EPMD, Em, Charlie Wilson, YG, A Boogie, Blxst, LAURYN HILL) Best Video (Rare)

Magic- Best Outro (Dedicated) Best overall beat (40-16 Building)

KD3- Best sample flip (Legit) Best beat switch (WTF SMH) Best Sequencing

Magic 2- Best flow. Best Cover Art. Best experimentation. Best concept execution

Magic 3- Best storytelling (Based on True Events 1 & 2) Best overall lyrical performance. Best overall production performance

kej718

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
No reviews ?
SONG BY SONG BREAKDOWN
1. Fever (5/5)
2. TSK (4/5)
3. Superhero Status (4.5/5)
4. I Love This Feeling (5/5)
5. No Tears (4/5)
6. Never Die (Ft. Lil Wayne) (4.5/5)
7. Pretty Young Girl (4/5)
8. Based On True Events (4/5)
9. Based On True Events, Pt. 2 (5/5)
10. Sitting With My Thoughts (4/5) :patrice: This was one of my top 3
11. Blue Bentley (3.5/5)
12. Jodeci Member (4.5/5)
13. Speechless, Pt. 2 (5/5)
14. Japanese Soul Bar (4/5)
15. 1-800-Nas&Hit (4.5/5)

RGM RATING
(B+)

They got plenty of youtube reviews online too. This is a site I just googled.
Magic 2 B+
KD3 A-
Magic A-
KD2 A-

Daps
Reppin
NULL
Just reading comments on YouTube and Wayne stans going crazy over his verse talking he killed Nas

Thought Wayne did a great verse but I think sometimes I forget the level of some fans when dough like Tae Kwon and eating like Zion got people going crazy.

Same goes for rhyme schemes. People going crazy that he kept in a fairly basic rhyme scheme the whole verse. While Nas to me more impressive finding different pockets and rhyme schemes.

But salute to Wayne. Along with Nobody and Full circle, probably the top 3 collabs of the 6 albums
Verse is highly overrated. I get it though, Weezy's delivery and flow is something else on it. But after the auditory sensations of hearing guideline, timeline, pipeline, etc., there isn't much there. Every time I hear the song, the verse becomes less impressive every listen. So while I truly believe that Nas had the better verse, Wayne's verse obviously SOUNDS better.