Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Cyborg11

Rookie
Daps
In my opinion Magic was the most lyrical of the series up until that point. But even some songs on Magic you can tell he was still getting his feet wet.

KD3 was when he really turned it back on all the way rapping wise. Like signature peak Nas, the consistency of the flow

I sorta agree that KD2 was their peak from a production standpoint. It was a big sounding album, very cinematic & lush… Magic 3 is kinda similar, but lyrically on another level. KD3 had great production as well but Nas was the star of the show

It’s just that for me Nas was on autopilot for a good portion of KD2. From the jump when I heard that album, I tried to like The Pressure cuz sonically that beat crazy but… lol I was like nawl… Nas don’t really rap like that

Not to say Nas didn’t go in on songs from KD2, cuz he certainly did. But I hold this guy to the highest standard

Agree 100%. If Nas was rapping on KD2 like he was on Magic/KD3 it would have been easily in the top 2 albums of the 6. The production and features on KD2 made it feel like a "bigger" album than the rest.

Like you said he wasn't bad, but several tracks he could've absolutely destroyed but took a more laid back approach instead. Ex: Nobody (2nd verse), Count Me In, even Store Run to a certain extent. Imagine those tracks with the vintage esco flow on them...

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks Kings Disease is the best opening track of the run.

you're not.

it's my favorite too.

i made the chain famous, the fade famous, qb on the neck match the stainless, amazing grace, im aging gracefully, without masonary, i made more paper too play with, sold dimes on my day shift, no rap on my playlist.......

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean he’s been touring nonstop since the albums came out, performed at the Grammys, directed multiple documentaries, doesn’t seem like there’s any health issues. I’ve said before he’s charged up because now he’a running his OWN label which means he owns everything. His very own Motown so to speak. That would be motivation enough to go on the run he’s been on after taking a 6 year break
he had a throwaway line about dementia on the album, will find

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
KD2 is better than Magic 3 lyrically, I think you’re talking about the flow, but lyrics wise KD2 was more poignant focused and had more literary devices.
Absolutely not my boi. Lmao, no way

You probably right that the flow is probably the most notable difference, but I vehemently disagree with you on that

I can actually agree with you on the more focused part. KD2 probably does have a variety of more focused topics, as Magic 3 is more stream of consciousness & free flowing in subject matter

But as far as the sharpness, the things Nas is praised for; the complex multi syllable rhyming patterns & the vivid imagery, I got Magic 3 pretty easily

Last edited:

keond

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA
Ive had time to sit with this album. I am mos def one of those who was sick of the Hit/Nas pairing. I just felt like its ran its course.

I gotta say that this is definitely my most favorite of the Magic series and probably number 2 of the entire Hit/Nas discography. Im a sucker for soulful samples, this one just flowed smoothly, Nas felt at home and relaxed, flows were Godly.

NAS the GOAT

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Album is incredible on first listen. I wonder if it dropped too late for a grammy nod.

It dropped on the last day of eligibility.

KD3

Magic 2

Magic 3

Are all eligible to be submitted. Whether he submits KD3 or Magic 3 will more than likely come down to acclaim and sales. KD3 was the highest acclaimed rap album of 2022 and the fact that each KD album preceding it was nominated bodes well because the Grammys LOVE repeat nominations. KD3 was also the album that got him the tie with Jay-Z as the only rappers with 16 studio albums to debut within the top 10

So KD3 has a LOT going for it. I would even wager that it would pretty much guarantee him a nomination.

Magic 3 has the “Newness” element to it as when nominations are announced it will only be a couple months old whereas it would be a full year for KD3. But Magic 3 would need to match or exceed KD3 in acclaim and even though the three published reviews so far have been glowing, its too early to tell without NME, Consequence, All Music, Rap Reviews, Hip Hop DX, and unfortunately Pitchfork weighing in.

Its also worth noting that while Nas submitted both KD albums to the Grammys, he specifically did NOT submit Magic. Hit Boy was even kind of tight about that as he posted on Twitter about it. So Nas himself might feel that the KD series is for “everyone” and Magic is only for the heads

Daps
Listened to all 6 albums,a nd my opinion has changed a little on all of them. I ended up disliking some of the songs I originally liked on KD and liking some of the ones I didn't like at first. KDII holds up surprisingly well even with the slight inconsistency; the highlights are just too good on that one. M and KDIII are just perfect as they are; you can play them without skips and they'll both hold up. M2 doesn't have the highlights that the other albums do, but it's very consistent. M3 is very good, I can see myself coming back to it repeatedly.

As of right now I have it as:
King's Disease III
Magic
Magic 3
King's Disease II
Magic 2
King's Disease

All of them are worth listening too though.