Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Alright I hate to say it cuz I thought it was excellent, but… Magic is starting to get slightly overrated by some folks

I’d say at bare minimum it was a 4.5/5 objectively, but Magic was designed like a super powered mixtape to hood the streets over. Nas was getting back into lyrical form & flexin

Magic was literally a warmup for KD3. Magic 3 & KD3 are way more fleshed out conceptually and from a writing perspective

I think people get too caught up in the Nasty Nas/illmatic-esque approach to Magic… it being short & to the point, return to boom bap etc.

There’s about 2-3 songs on here that woulda been the best song on Magic, and I ain’t gonna count the other gems. I hear nikkas saying Magic is a top 3/4 Nas album behind illmatic & IWW… like nawl homie

Where’s the storytelling songs or concept records? That’s what Nas at his absolute pinnacle is

Artfull Dodger

All Star
Daps
Alright I hate to say it cuz I thought it was excellent, but… Magic is starting to get slightly overrated by some folks

I’d say at bare minimum it was a 4.5/5 objectively
, but Magic was designed like a super powered mixtape to hood the streets over. Nas was getting back into lyrical form & flexin

Magic was literally a warmup for KD3. Magic 3 & KD3 are way more fleshed out conceptually and from a writing perspective

I think people get too caught up in the Nasty Nas/illmatic-esque approach to Magic… it being short & to the point, return to boom bap etc.

There’s about 2-3 songs on here that woulda been the best song on Magic, and I ain’t gonna count the other gems
Magic ain't overrated fam ...
U just said its a 4.5/5 Objectively:pachaha::blessed: Thats classic status breh.

i love magic 3 but there is no song touching Truth for me. though both albums are 4.5/5 objectively:youngsabo::obama:

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
This album has a more dramatic, intense vibe than the other Hit-Boy albums do. At times, it feels like rock music and I'm waiting for the guitar solo. It has the same urgency as Magic 1 and the same grandiose vibes of KD2 and KD3.

I don't know how you can listen to this and not hear the quality in it or think the drums don't bang, but we all have different ears.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas X Premo or
Nas X Alchemist X Premo co- produced,
Nas X Alchemist, Nas X Metro Boomin will be the next albums on the agenda. I wouldn’t be surprised if Nas drops 8 albums in 5 years by the end of it.

NoHalfWay

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Magic ain't overrated fam ...
U just said its a 4.5/5 Objectively:pachaha::blessed: Thats classic status breh.

i love magic 3 but there is no song touching Truth for me. though both albums are 4.5/5 objectively:youngsabo::obama:
Yeah but I grade Magic on a different scale. I’m saying it’s overrated when regarding Nas discography

Really comparing Nas to himself, it’s like the Lupe bar:

I will, take rap to where nikkas can’t conceive
To the point where nikkas can't agree on which song is best
And the argument is if I am better than me

That’s the point to where Nas is at now. To me, while Magic’s execution was near flawless, thematically I don’t view it as a fleshed out enough album to put in his top 3,4, or 5 albums of all time.

There’s too many classics (strict definition I think he has 3), masterpieces, and great albums you gotta fight with to even get into his top 7/8