Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

Cyborg11

Rookie
Daps
Stop comparing stuff man, lol, thats where yall be messin up. Oprah said comparing is the fastest route to disappointment...stop comparing this and that Nas album to "Illmatic" and the Nas today to Nas in "94" and whatever else...just appreciate what you have now and what you had then and try to give both a fair shot for what they are/were.

Blue Bentley is nothing like Blue Benz...the names are similar but they're totally on 2 different planets in every other way, why compare? Blue Bentley sounds like the typical joint on Nas albums where he tries for a"Hit" or a radio joint, "Summer on Smash, Braveheart Party, countless others"...it's just this time he hit the shot all net, he connected, this shyt is absolute fire.

I get what you're saying but the comparisons have only been between the 6 albums in this run, nothing else. It's unrealistic to not compare the albums when they are a series, and NAS HIMSELF compared them on Ghetto Reporter.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I get what you're saying but the comparisons have only been between the 6 albums in this run, nothing else. It's unrealistic to not compare the albums when they are a series, and NAS HIMSELF compared them on Ghetto Reporter.

Nas has been getting compared to and held up against his old work/his old self since 1996 my brudda...that's what I'm speaking to. It has never ceased to happen.

Comparing albums just from this series is something else, that's cool, they're two trilogies, of course we'll compare.

Randomly saying "Blue Bentley is wack compared to Blue Benz" is too random tho bruh, lol...like just because the names are similar? That's it? Lol

RickyGQ

No nikkas!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NJ
I think once this album ages most of yall will have this album ranked as 3rd or 4th in the KD/Magic series depending on where you have KD2.

It's not nearly as sharp front to back like KD3 and I think some of yall are forgetting how special Magic 1 felt when it dropped.

In my opinion I think they overdid it with the soul samples kicking off the songs. The tracks arent bad just felt repetitive to me. Also No Tears deserved a better beat - someone earlier compared it to something Kanye would have on Nasir and that is absolutely correct.

Overall the project is dope though. Speechless 2, Pretty Young Girl, True Story Pt 2 are up there with the best songs in this Hitboy run.

But why the hell didn't Hit have Nas rap over that second beat in Japanese Soul Bar??? I just can't comprehend how that happens - that could've been a dope track on its own.

Currently I have it KD3=M1>KD2>M3>KD1>M2 (the last two are objectively the worst of the bunch)
Good ranking. I actually really like this album but agree. I have the same ranking except KD1 over this one. That’s not a slight at all imo. Only objectively not good album of the 6 to me is Magic 2. All the others are legitimately good projects.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What exactly do you consider historic about the 6 album run?
I think it’s a feat to drop 6 quality albums in a 3 year run at this juncture of Nas career. If you look at everyone’s list, everyone has a different favorite album or albums from this run. Each album sounds different too and that’s the beauty of it. They tried different sounds, flows, tempos, concepts etc… it never got stale. Nas is still rapping at a very high level and Hit Boy has provided a great landscape. How many of these albums have you liked?