Nas- Magic 3 Discussion Thread

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I think they’re all good. I don’t find anything on them to be particularly interesting but I certainly respect and admire what they’ve accomplished.
To me this is an incredible run of albums for Nas fans but to use the word “historic” needs to bring something else to the table.

If nothing else the volume of the output in the short space of time and still holding a strong quality is gonna be looked at in some historic context especially for his age.
We've seen older dudes put out a million projects past their prime in a short time but I dont think they were of this quality. Even if you dont think its classic or sonically innovative theres something to be said about at least setting a bar I suppose.

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang
I think for many people it has been historic. Maybe not for you personally. But I’ve seen people that aren’t super super Nas fans say how historic it is. I think it has brought a lot to the table. I also think it did a great drop of bridging the gap for a rapper that debut in the early 90’s and a younger producer. I think that is being understated. The last thing that is underrated about this run is Nas for the most part is doing it featureless. These albums don’t have a lot of features at all and I don’t think anybody else could pull that off. KD3 was completely solo.
I respect everything you’re saying here.
I can’t even really read through much of these types of threads because the “hater” and “Stan” discourse takes over and people are so entrenched in their opinions.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was never the biggest Wayne fan especially his off the field antics.

But this feature is why I can’t totally ignore him either. He is amazing
Wayne did his job very well with this feature. I think that’s what Nas was trying to capture with the 50 feature but 50 didn’t hold up his end.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I respect everything you’re saying here.
I can’t even really read through much of these types of threads because the “hater” and “Stan” discourse takes over and people are so entrenched in their opinions.
Yea I get it. I think if we all sit back and think about it, it’s really big for hip hop in general. Hip hop just turned 50 and this is the first time we have had the chance to see an artist from the early 90s produce at this output. Every song or album may not be for everyone but I bet through this run somebody has found an album or multiple albums they really enjoyed.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Wayne did his job very well with this feature. I think that’s what Nas was trying to capture with the 50 feature but 50 didn’t hold up his end.
Wayne went dumb on that shyt. Straight up crazy. Anyone who was doubting him was out of touch. He been killing everything the last few years.

Cyborg11

Rookie
Daps

After hearing Wayne's feature on that J.I.D. project I knew he was gonna slay it with Nas. I never doubted it.

On the other hand Nas should demand a refund from 50 if he paid. 50 should be ashamed of himself for that effort

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Agree with the bolded but you definitely sleeping on Blue Bentley. It's a much easier and enjoyable listen IMO. That beat shift on Benz kills the song to me

Blue Benz is much better in fact the storytelling on KD1 is better than this album.

Cyborg11

Rookie
Daps
Blue Benz is much better in fact the storytelling on KD1 is better than this album.

Strongly disagree on the storytelling point. True Story Pt 2 alone is better than any of them on KD1

The biggest issue with KD1 in general is outside of Cure and maybe 10 points there isn't enough tracks of vintage Nas flowing his ass off and blacking out.