Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
I've been defending and supporting Nas' music online since I was a kid.

20 years ago I was on SOHH defending God's Sons production when half the site thought the beats were wack. Same with Untitled and other releases.

I went to bat for Nas songs that were clowned and hated like Zone Out and Who Killed It? I've always pushed back on the Nas has weak production narrative. It was always bs.
I can vouch for this, wasn't a lot of us then (you, myself, Jayshiggs etc) but I remember you from back in the day.

People forget that except for Stillmatic and Lost Tapes, none of Nas releases were universally praised the way these Hitboy albums now seem to be. You had to be there to see that the boards were divided on Nas for years. It's 180'd now on the Coli.

I'm loving the Hitboy run myself, but really don't see why us Nas fans would object to criticism at this point - there's never been a consistent 4 year run of Nas praise and acclaim like we're seeing now, ever. Being a Nas fan has meant fighting off criticism since '95, a brief gap of universal praise when he released Stillmatic and Lost Tapes (and later Life is Good) but always division after. The last few years are unprecedented for Nas fandom.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I can vouch for this, wasn't a lot of us then (you, myself, Jayshiggs etc) but I remember you from back in the day.

People forget that except for Stillmatic and Lost Tapes, none of Nas releases were universally praised the way these Hitboy albums now seem to be. You had to be there to see that the boards were divided on Nas for years. It's 180'd now on the Coli.

I'm loving the Hitboy run myself, but really don't see why us Nas fans would object to criticism at this point - there's never been a consistent 4 year run of Nas praise and acclaim like we're seeing now, ever. Being a Nas fan has meant fighting off criticism since '95, a brief gap of universal praise when he released Stillmatic and Lost Tapes (and later Life is Good) but always division after. The last few years are unprecedented for Nas fandom.
Facts. Don't let my critique fool anyone, Nas is GOAT and I'm loving this run

L. Deezy

Veteran
Daps
Fans don't have to like everything.
I didnt say that comment about not liking it.. I said it because he a Preme and Pete the best option for Nas fan. They been that way since IWW. They disgust me

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While I don't necessarily love Hitboy's beats I always felt he's a more commercial producer and he doesnt' really use samples like that like the Primo's and Alchemist's and RZA's of the world. He rocks out a lot with those West coast artists and I always used to associate Hit with that trap sound or that gangsta sound.

His drums ain't that hard and he never uses scratches on his hooks and such.
His beats don't sound "east coast" to me......

Could Hit produce a song like "Nas is Like" ? Probably not.
But could Primo produce a song like "Sicko Mode" or Trophies? No.

They both got different bags.....
Hit Boy is a very diverse producer that can give you any style you want. That’s the beauty of the Nas and hit boy combo. Hit can give 27 summers, or he can give you a store run. Or if you want something a little grimier, he can give you a speechless.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Some people have too much of an obsession with Nas working with these producers who have seen their best days more than 20 years ago, and then when Nas actually works with one of these guys, cats complain that they don't like the record and that it sounds dated :mjlol:

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps

Yo I literally saw a medical doctor along with others that I follow on Twitter trash the music reviewer who gave KD 2 a bad/mid review.

Asicz

Daps
9th Wonder-
Nas is an anomaly, man,” he said. “He wants to get so far away from Illmatic, and everybody wants him to go back. I think he thinks we’re talking about his subject matter. We’re mostly talking about the sound. Nas is one of the few artists from our generation that’s keeping our generation alive from a mainstream perspective. For a mainstream standpoint it’s Nas and JAY-Z, there’s not too many others like them left.”

Asicz

Daps
Some people have too much of an obsession with Nas working with these producers who have seen their best days more than 20 years ago, and then when Nas actually works with one of these guys, cats complain that they don't like the record and that it sounds dated :mjlol:
Nobody says it sounds dated. You just making stuff up now🤣

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

This is why I don't get why some people are up in arms or will post some negative tweet or video with like 27 likes/views. Nas won a Grammy and got some solid reviews in the last couple years. Not all have been great, and it sucks that an independent label legend can't get consistent releases on RAP reviews. I'm not tripping over Rolling Stone or Pitchfork but XXL, HipHopDX, Vibe, etc should be reviewing Nas albums consistently. Regardless it's a good time and outside of some bitter old heads no one is really hating on these albums.

Icewatermetallik

TheEastisintheHouse
Daps
Nobody says it sounds dated. You just making stuff up now🤣

The problem is when people hear Nas on a Primo or Pete Rock track they want to hear the pinnacle of both artists. They wanna hear the next street banger like a "Nas is Like" or some nostalgic shyt like "Second Childhood" but Primo can't bang out hits like that anymore.

They wanna hear a "World is Yours" or "Art of It" but Pete can't make tracks like that anymore......

People want these guys to time travel back to 95' but they ain't in that space anymore.