Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I can vouch for this, wasn't a lot of us then (you, myself, Jayshiggs etc) but I remember you from back in the day.

People forget that except for Stillmatic and Lost Tapes, none of Nas releases were universally praised the way these Hitboy albums now seem to be. You had to be there to see that the boards were divided on Nas for years. It's 180'd now on the Coli.

I'm loving the Hitboy run myself, but really don't see why us Nas fans would object to criticism at this point - there's never been a consistent 4 year run of Nas praise and acclaim like we're seeing now, ever. Being a Nas fan has meant fighting off criticism since '95, a brief gap of universal praise when he released Stillmatic and Lost Tapes (and later Life is Good) but always division after. The last few years are unprecedented for Nas fandom.

that's not true: Repost

the funny thing is Nas was more critically acclaimed by the critics than Jayz all the way up to Life Is Good

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
The way I see it is Premier and Pete Rock are not giving Nas better produced albums than KDII or Magic in 2022. I'm sorry but they aren't. Let's look at the songs they did with Nas in the last few years. Premier did Beat Breaks. It's cool but we all know it is not seeing Store Run or Rare or The Cure or The Truth or Speechless or Dedicated or Nas Is Good or Nobody or 27 Summers and a lot of other beats Hit has given him on their run. Pete Rock gave him The Art Of It which has a cool sample but is mixed like shyt. QB Politics is good but I wouldn't put it over Hit's best work on the albums. Also Pete Rock is suing Nas so they'll never work together anyway. Stop even suggesting it cuz the probability of it happening is zero. Premo is a bigger possibility and I certainly will listen to anything him and Nas have in store but I can't say at this point I would anticipate a Nas/Preme more than a Nas/Hit song. I love Preme but it's not 99 anymore. Cool if he pops up on KDIII for more scratching tho or co-produces a song with Hit, not against it.

Who are the other names often mentioned? Alchemist and Large Pro? Again those would be cool and I would anticipate it...but Nas and Hit have developed a chemistry that is undeniable. I think there's something about working with Hit in particular that motivates and energizes Nas. They've improved with each release and I expect KDIII to be at least as good as KDII and Magic.

Last edited:

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
My favorite thing about the Nas-Hit-Boy collabs is that each of them have come out of nowhere, each of them has its unique sound and identity, and I’ve genuinely enjoyed each record front to back straight out the gate

Got every one of them on vinyl—Magic is my favorite on vinyl because it was looking like there might not be physicals (and because it was the only one free of errror)

One of the dopest things has been being a part of the tradition of listening to the albums with the rest of y’all as soon as they drop and playing it back to back with everyone sharing their immediate reactions and feedback—so many good memories hearing shyt the first time

This is the first one that we knew was coming for awhile—excited all the same! Blessings to hear my favorite rapper still dropping heat 30 years in

KD3 on the muthafukking way :ohlawd:

Last edited:

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
Actually I did not love it that much. I for one didn't see the need for a sequel to Lost Tapes 1 before LT 2 came out.

I think some of yal in this thread just like hearing Nas on record no matter what. Like literally and I'm not really joking I think y'all would be ok with Nas reading a Chinese food menu over a beat.
Nas a has very nice vocal quality and is pleasant to the ear.
Also to his credit his music can turn anyone into a legit Stan.

ok so if you don't like a nas project where rza pete rock alchemist buckwild pharell hit boy kanye produced why do you want nas to absolutely go back to theses producers. they ain't going to make the world is yours or ny state of mind level of beat obviously and their last project weren't that good. alchemist is the only exception (except when he's on his drumless bag)

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol. We must be bored but a lot of ya some contradicting ass people. Same people wanting shyt thread locked is some of the same people that are entertaining the things they don’t like posted. Then that same person tells other people why we entertaining them even though they doing it..

You got nas fans and you got nas groupies and you got a couple of those critics that just ain’t happy no matter what. That type of shyt goes down in the film room as well never happy no matter what. It is what it is. It’s a fukking board. Damn… entertain, debate, or ignore… when you can’t do either or, it’s cuz you a groupie.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lol. We must be bored but a lot of ya some contradicting ass people. Same people wanting shyt thread locked is some of the same people that are entertaining the things they don’t like posted. Then that same person tells other people why we entertaining them even though they doing it..

You got nas fans and you got nas groupies and you got a couple of those critics that just ain’t happy no matter what. That type of shyt goes down in the film room as well never happy no matter what. It is what it is. It’s a fukking board. Damn… entertain, debate, or ignore… when you can’t do either or, it’s cuz you a groupie.

I can't even see what they arguing about because I got dude on ignore. It's an underrated function on here.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My favorite thing about the Nas-Hit-Boy collabs is that each of them have come out of nowhere, each of them has its unique sound and identity, and I’ve genuinely enjoyed each record front to back straight out the gate

Got every one of them on vinyl—Magic is my favorite on vinyl because it was looking like there might not be physicals (and because it was the only one free of errror)

One of the dopest things has been being a part of the tradition of listening to the albums with the rest of y’all as soon as they drop and playing it back to back with everyone sharing their immediate reactions and feedback—so many good memories hearing shyt the first time

This is the first one that we knew was coming for awhile—excited all the same! Blessings to hear my favorite rapper still dropping heat 30 years in

KD3 on the muthafukking way :ohlawd:
This is facts bro. It’s like Christmas Day as an adult for me.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
I’ve said the same thing. Love music and love the big releases from my favorite artists. Always feels like an event. My old ass will stay up and just have an album on repeat until I fall asleep. I think one thing that has helped me enjoy the music these days is to try to minimize my expectations for what the artist might do and to try to just appreciate what they’re doing now. Especially with Nas. I used to have all these standards and expectations for what Nas should do and I think it got in the way of just enjoying the music. I’ve loved all these projects with Hit-Boy. Just super dope stuff. No tricks, just magic.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

Magic was literally Christmas.
:russ: :blessed:

That was a dope night. BTW any of yall remember years ago...don't remember what year it was but Jay Electronica was supposed to drop Act II on Christmas. On Christmas Eve my fam went to visit one of my grandma, spend the night, and then we went to my other grandma's house for Christmas day. All throughout that I was sitting around antsy, couldn't wait to get home and listen to Act II. Finally got home around 9PM Christmas day thinking ok the album is definitely out by now. Turned my computer on and...nothing. Only to later hear Just Blaze claim they were waiting on a Nas verse and it never came lmao. They were blaming Nas like he screwed it up, turns out the album never really came out anyway so who is really to blame (Jay Elect).
:russ:

So if that was my worst Nas related Christmas, last Christmas was my best Nas related Christmas lol.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I can vouch for this, wasn't a lot of us then (you, myself, Jayshiggs etc) but I remember you from back in the day.

People forget that except for Stillmatic and Lost Tapes, none of Nas releases were universally praised the way these Hitboy albums now seem to be. You had to be there to see that the boards were divided on Nas for years. It's 180'd now on the Coli.

I'm loving the Hitboy run myself, but really don't see why us Nas fans would object to criticism at this point - there's never been a consistent 4 year run of Nas praise and acclaim like we're seeing now, ever. Being a Nas fan has meant fighting off criticism since '95, a brief gap of universal praise when he released Stillmatic and Lost Tapes (and later Life is Good) but always division after. The last few years are unprecedented for Nas fandom.
OG Nas stans in the building. lol
I can't talk about the Knicks or Nas in here too much the takes are too all over the place. lol

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
The way I see it is Premier and Pete Rock are not giving Nas better produced albums than KDII or Magic in 2022. I'm sorry but they aren't. Let's look at the songs they did with Nas in the last few years. Premier did Beat Breaks. It's cool but we all know it is not seeing Store Run or Rare or The Cure or The Truth or Speechless or Dedicated or Nas Is Good or Nobody or 27 Summers and a lot of other beats Hit has given him on their run. Pete Rock gave him The Art Of It which has a cool sample but is mixed like shyt. QB Politics is good but I wouldn't put it over Hit's best work on the albums. Also Pete Rock is suing Nas so they'll never work together anyway. Stop even suggesting it cuz the probability of it happening is zero. Premo is a bigger possibility and I certainly will listen to anything him and Nas have in store but I can't say at this point I would anticipate a Nas/Preme more than a Nas/Hit song. I love Preme but it's not 99 anymore. Cool if he pops up on KDIII for more scratching tho or co-produces a song with Hit, not against it.

Who are the other names often mentioned? Alchemist and Large Pro? Again those would be cool and I would anticipate it...but Nas and Hit have developed a chemistry that is undeniable. I think there's something about working with Hit in particular that motivates and energizes Nas. They've improved with each release and I expect KDIII to be at least as good as KDII and Magic.

Agree with all of this.

Large Professor isn’t giving Nas a better produced album in 2022 than Hit Boy. Hit Boy is a MODERN DAY producer giving Nas MODERN DAY PRODUCTION for him to rock over. Its keeping Nas creatively amped and his pen charged. Thats all thats important.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Agree with all of this.

Large Professor isn’t giving Nas a better produced album in 2022 than Hit Boy. Hit Boy is a MODERN DAY producer giving Nas MODERN DAY PRODUCTION for him to rock over. Its keeping Nas creatively amped and his pen charged. Thats all thats important.
I’m still trying to figure out how people don’t understand this