Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I know its a pie in the sky wish but if Nas can get OUTKAST on a track, meaning both Andre and Big Boi on the SAME song its already the GOAT album of the KD3 series.

Outkast are the final frontier when it comes to my personal wishlist of Nas collabs. Their the last ones from that 90’s golden age that Nas hasn’t been on a song with. He’s got the songs with Hov. Songs with Wu. Songs with Common. Songs with Jadakiss. Songs with Mobb Deep. Songs with EVERYBODY except Kast and Black Thought, but I think if Nas and Thought ever collab it’ll be on a Roots album. Nas is probably the only rapper that could feasibly get them both on a song together.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know its a pie in the sky wish but if Nas can get OUTKAST on a track, meaning both Andre and Big Boi on the SAME song its already the GOAT album of the KD3 series.

Outkast are the final frontier when it comes to my personal wishlist of Nas collabs. Their the last ones from that 90’s golden age that Nas hasn’t been on a song with. He’s got the songs with Hov. Songs with Wu. Songs with Common. Songs with Jadakiss. Songs with EVERYBODY except Kast and Black Thought, but I think if Nas and Thought ever collab it’ll be on a Roots album. Nas is probably the only rapper that could feasibly get them both on a song together.
Man I always felt Nas Lauryn Hill and Andre 3000 should have all been on Nobody off kd2. It fits all their personalities perfect.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I can vouch for this, wasn't a lot of us then (you, myself, Jayshiggs etc) but I remember you from back in the day.

People forget that except for Stillmatic and Lost Tapes, none of Nas releases were universally praised the way these Hitboy albums now seem to be. You had to be there to see that the boards were divided on Nas for years. It's 180'd now on the Coli.

I'm loving the Hitboy run myself, but really don't see why us Nas fans would object to criticism at this point - there's never been a consistent 4 year run of Nas praise and acclaim like we're seeing now, ever. Being a Nas fan has meant fighting off criticism since '95, a brief gap of universal praise when he released Stillmatic and Lost Tapes (and later Life is Good) but always division after. The last few years are unprecedented for Nas fandom.

I'm curious, but what were people saying from 2004-2008? I feel like that period of Nas' career gets ignored the most, when he was getting heavy into concepts and experimenting, but those albums don't get a lot of credit. I feel like Untitled has gotten more appreciation since it came out, but everybody hates Street's Disciple (besides Tyler the Creator) and whenever HHID is discussed, nobody talks about it beyond the title.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I'm curious, but what were people saying from 2004-2008? I feel like that period of Nas' career gets ignored the most, when he was getting heavy into concepts and experimenting, but those albums don't get a lot of credit. I feel like Untitled has gotten more appreciation since it came out, but everybody hates Street's Disciple (besides Tyler the Creator) and whenever HHID is discussed, nobody talks about it beyond the title.

Streets Disciple was one of Nas’s most critically acclaimed albums when it first dropped. If you look at metacritic its actually more acclaimed overall than Stillmatic. Nobody started thinking of it as a “bad” album until

1). The Source only gave it 3.5 Mics

2). 50 Cent dissed it during him and Nas’s back and forth.

Hip Hop Is Dead was heavily hyped due to the title controversy, Nas signing with Def Jam and aligning with Jay, and his ongoing beef with Jim Jones. It actually over performed when it dropped in December of 06 I remember all the blogs predicting he’d do 200k and he actually did 360k and outsold Jeezy who had challenged him like a week prior. This was also one of the last eras where Nas was heavily doing interviews, explaining the album title, openly criticizing other rappers, and mostly just talking his shyt. I remember Elliot Wilson listening to the album early and being impressed to the point where he put Nas back on the cover of XXL. He also got a lot of goodwill for the Where Are They Now remixes where he included a lot of old school rappers.

Untitled caught a LOT of heat for the original title, the fact that Nas and Kelis showed up at the Grammys with ****** emblazoned on their shirts, and the fact it kept getting pushed back. It was originally supposed to come out Winter 07. Then spring 08. And finally it dropped Summer of 08. It was acclaimed when it dropped, but there was more controversy than acclaim due to Bill O’Reilly and other conservative media going at Nas during that time. That plus Walmart publicly threatened to not carry the album if they kept the title. This also marked the first time Nas ever released an official Mixtape, The ****** Tape, which was kind of a double edged sword because I remember a lot of people at the time saying the mixtape was better than the album, I disagree personally as Untitled is my all time FAVORITE Nas album.

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France
WE NEED NAS AND OUTKAST
I think Andre and Big Boi are contractually not allowed to be on a song together because of some shenanigans with their labels. Basically both of them on a track would be considered an Outkast record and they have a conflict that prevent that.

10:31

Superstar
Daps
Streets Disciple was one of Nas’s most critically acclaimed albums when it first dropped. If you look at metacritic its actually more acclaimed overall than Stillmatic. Nobody started thinking of it as a “bad” album until

1). The Source only gave it 3.5 Mics

2). 50 Cent dissed it during him and Nas’s back and forth.

Hip Hop Is Dead was heavily hyped due to the title controversy, Nas signing with Def Jam and aligning with Jay, and his ongoing beef with Jim Jones. It actually over performed when it dropped in December of 06 I remember all the blogs predicting he’d do 200k and he actually did 360k and outsold Jeezy who had challenged him like a week prior. This was also one of the last eras where Nas was heavily doing interviews, explaining the album title, openly criticizing other rappers, and mostly just talking his shyt. I remember Elliot Wilson listening to the album early and being impressed to the point where he put Nas back on the cover of XXL. He also got a lot of goodwill for the Where Are They Now remixes where he included a lot of old school rappers.

Untitled caught a LOT of heat for the original title, the fact that Nas and Kelis showed up at the Grammys with ****** emblazoned on their shirts, and the fact it kept getting pushed back. It was originally supposed to come out Winter 07. Then spring 08. And finally it dropped Summer of 08. It was acclaimed when it dropped, but there was more controversy than acclaim due to Bill O’Reilly and other conservative media going at Nas during that time. That plus Walmart publicly threatened to not carry the album if they kept the title. This also marked the first time Nas ever released an official Mixtape, The ****** Tape, which was kind of a double edged sword because I remember a lot of people at the time saying the mixtape was better than the album, I disagree personally as Untitled is my all time FAVORITE Nas album.

I rarely if ever revisit anything after God Son. This is excludes the current KD era. KD era picked up right where Stillmatic/God Son left off, IMO.

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France
Big Boi has said thats not true anymore
Great if it's true. I don't expect them to show up on KD3 tho but they would probably be on the top of my list of surprise featurings as well.

Technically Nas has already been on a track with Andre 3000.

It's the same beat, just different songs because of the structure of the album.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Great if it's true. I don't expect them to show up on KD3 tho but they would probably be on the top of my list of surprise featurings as well.

Technically Nas has already been on a track with Andre 3000.

It's the same beat, just different songs because of the structure of the album.

That in no way, shape, or manner counts lol.

They were also on Lloyd’s “You” remix.

But i’m talking OUTKAST and Nas! Not just one, BOTH