Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

H.S.

All Star
Daps
I think the last 3 releases just made me realise the weight I put on how good Nas is lyrically on his albums. KD2 is near enough 5/5 for me but at the same time Nas lyrically was in a more chilled space on KD1 and 2. He was still bodying tracks so this isn't a diss but knowing Nas' lyrical ability, you just knew he could go up a gear or two

Then Nas went and took it up a notch on Magic from a lyrical standpoint so I find myself running back to Magic songs more often. Like Nas really went into the booth with a different level of aggression on Magic.

Depends on how you define lyrical. Something like The Truth is incredible no doubt. But I think songs like Car 85 and Death Row East are much more difficult to pull off, and probably why you rarely see that type of songwriting in the underground scene.

Last edited:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Cap!

I'm in the same age group. We're not dinosaurs. Real enthusiasts don't need an algorithm to put them on game. These men don't sound 'cultured' ...no 'cism.
If you aren't up on social media and don't stream music it's very easy to miss a new project from an older artist. Even great promo can miss older fans because they're just doing other things, or their media consumption is entirely different. Like with many of our parents...I remember my parents would find out about new movies or music via Tom Joyner, or Steve Harvey's morning show. Or MSNBC. Flip side a 40yo dude might hear about new shyt via social media or Sportscenter/ESPN. But depending on your algorithm you could still miss a Nas/Wu/etc album.

The music industry is shut down in December/early January so it's not surprising people didn't hear about Magic, and it took weeks for reviews to show up. November 11th is a great date though and I assume there will be promo. Lot of big albums coming out within a couple weeks of each other too. Drake/21 and Kodak on 10/28, then Offset apparently is dropping on 11/11 too.

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother

I know this the KD3 thread but:salute:@jensyao uploading the whole thing never saw the entire episode. Dope to see how Hitboy is involved that's why their chemistry is special

yeah I was looking up Nas's imdb for whatever other footage I can probably find and upload given that some time has passed for them to maybe not be so strict on it

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
How old were these friends?

I’m asking because if your a fan Nas has promoted the album via instagram and his online store. I’d think the issue wouldn’t be self proclaimed fans who go as far as to make sure they stream the catalog, but the more casual fans/Hip Hop heads who maybe aren’t perusing the internet like that.

There’s a reason why KD2 did 56k first week and Magic only did 22K, and its not “Nas fatigue”. It was the overall lack of awareness amongst the casual/older hip hop head fanbase.
I brought up Magic in the barber shop and they are all hip hop heads. They had no idea what I was talking about. A lot of people think Nas last album was the Kanye one. :francis: