Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
To be fair I think she meant “pure” as in physicals, itunes, and Amazon (those are the entities she listed)

And she also was probably talking about rappers more than artists of other genres. She specifically said that other than Em and Jay, nobody else from the 90’s era sells as much as Nas. So she was keeping it Hip Hop talk.

Listening to the whole thing I don’t feel like she’s trying to “blame” the fans as much as she’s trying to “educate” fans on how streaming works and the algorithms. She all but came out and said that other artists fanbases are exploiting the system and if Nas fans did the same he’d easily crack 100k first week.

She also said that first week numbers aren’t the end all/be all and that Nas’s numbers aren’t BAD but they aren’t as great as his fanbase’s potential power is.

Basically the heart of her message is that Nas core fanbase is still there and that the “pure” sales support that but the game is rigged through streaming and the only way to “win” is to properly run the streams up.

She referenced Nicki Minaj, Jay, & Lil Baby as artists whose core base can’t touch Nas’s but because they have fans who know how streaming works thats why they chart higher and longer
You see bums on here still begging for links who have never even used a free streaming service to support an act. These old head stubborn ass let me rip my stolen mp3's and discuss an album I won't actually support to no end type nikkaz are the worst. Stuck in the 90's core old head fanbases need to either learn how to stream or keep buying physicals. A lot of them got stuck being greedy post mp3 era and won't break bread anymore.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Coop basically said the source told him people didn’t support Magic enough it dissalpointed in sales so he’s not sticking with that sound he’s gonna try to go the more radio friendly route

Said the fans claim to want Illmatic era Nas well he gave it to them and they didn’t support it
Sounds like bullshyt. Magic was not made to move units.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
You also got to remember there are Nas fans and there’s hardcore Nas fans

As you get older you don’t check for everything. People grow out of being regular consumers of music. I’ll be honest there’s lot of rappers i love their music but I don’t always check for everything they drop. Take the Black Thought album. I still haven’t listened and he’s too 20 of all time for me. Same goes for the Freddie Gibbs joint and he’s of my favourite artists of the past 5 years

Same goes for Nas. Some will check his stuff immediately like we do and others. But lot will treat Nas’ music like how I’ve treated the Black Thought and Gibbs albums. I’ll probably listen eventually. Or not at all.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cap!

I'm in the same age group. We're not dinosaurs. Real enthusiasts don't need an algorithm to put them on game. These men don't sound 'cultured' ...no 'cism.
Ain’t no way I’m a Nas fan and not know that Nas dropped Magic 10 months ago, but that’s just me haha

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
As you get older you don’t check for everything. People grow out of being regular consumers of music. I’ll be honest there’s lot of rappers i love their music but I don’t always check for everything they drop.
Facts. I think it's less about the aging itself and more about all the responsibilities and other shyt that typically come along with the aging (Bills, Career, Kids, Wife, Being interested in more worldly/mature things that adults are into, etc...). It's mainly the kids imo, once you start raising kids it really becomes all about them and what they got going on...everything else becomes secondary/inconsequential type shyt...specially the recreational shyt.

Some people age and still don't have much of anything going on in there life and still are just music/entertainment heads 24/7, lol, they still have the luxury of not having much responsibility and can still focus on entertainment all the time.

Nas is the only priority rapper for me...there is literally nobody else I must check for when they drop. Maybe 50...but that's just more home team type shyt.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
They got two more in the chamber after this so you should probably just exit stage left.

where this info comes from ? never heard nas or hit say this

to me as great as I love their connexion four albums is enough. If Nas decides to stop releasing album after this one I woudn't mind but if he does, I hope he will go back to blend the producer like a majority of hit boy beats with a couple of alc there and maybe others too. being in the same formula too much can lead to mistakes. he would be better to close on a perfect run

Last edited:

CHAIN

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Cabo Verde
Facts. I think it's less about the aging itself and more about all the responsibilities and other shyt that typically come along with the aging (Bills, Career, Kids, Wife, Being interested in more worldly/mature things that adults are into, etc...). It's mainly the kids imo, once you start raising kids it really becomes all about them and what they got going on...everything else becomes secondary/inconsequential type shyt...specially the recreational shyt.

Some people age and still don't have much of anything going on in there life and still are just music/entertainment heads 24/7, lol, they still have the luxury of not having much responsibility and can still focus on entertainment all the time.

Nas is the only priority rapper for me...there is literally nobody else I must check for when they drop. Maybe 50...but that's just more home team type shyt.
lol no disrespect 'cause I fukk with you as a poster, I'm talking SOHH days and all that but this take right here ain't it, chief.

If I can log in to check my inbox and pay some bills (spotify subscription included) and get some work done sitting at the desk, either at the crib or at the office, then I can put earbuds in and listen to Magic or Its Almost Dry at the same time. I play it in the whip commuting back and forth to the crib too. It's nothing.

And I'm married too. It's not that I'm focused on entertainment 24/7, but I need my joints bruh.
This music is a part of me.

You too can live like this by implementing proper time management.

:lolbron:

Ps: I'm gonna let that mature things that adults are into comment slide.

Peace, King.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
lol no disrespect 'cause I fukk with you as a poster, I'm talking SOHH days and all that but this take right here ain't it, chief.

If I can log in to check my inbox and pay some bills (spotify subscription included) and get some work done sitting at the desk, either at the crib or at the office, then I can put earbuds in and listen to Magic or Its Almost Dry at the same time. I play it in the whip commuting back and forth to the crib too. It's nothing.

And I'm married too. It's not that I'm focused on entertainment 24/7, but I need my joints bruh.
This music is a part of me.

You too can live like this by implementing proper time management.

:lolbron:
Salute, I hear you. I'm not necessarily saying responsibilities make you completely abandon your recreational shyt...it just typically makes those things far less important to you...and the more those things go on the back burner, the more insignificant they eventually become. I knew I was becoming one of "them" old heads when I realized like 75% of the shyt I was posting on Facebook was about the kids, lol. If I was still a kid that shyt would be all about music I'm into and shyt like that.

That's whats up tho, if you really love something you will make time, from music to working out to your girl, lol...regardless of what you got going on. For me, hip hop was like #1 or #2 on my list of things that interest me when I was a kid. Now, just because life happened, the shyt is maybe like 8th or 9th...when that happens it gradually becomes more and more insignificant to you. What I like tho I still will prioritize...like Nas albums and shyt like that, will always be a first day listen.

Last edited:

HNIC973

R.I.P Bandana P
Daps
Reppin
Brick City,New Jerz
Same way I have it and had it since the first day I heard "Magic". :salute:. If this new shyt tops "Magic" then I really don't even know why the "G.O.A.T." shyt is still even a plausible conversation anymore...my son is just lapping his peer group at this point. 4 straight dope ass albums at 48-49 years old? Prior to which, he was already considered the best ever by a lot of people? Come on man.
They'll keep moving goalposts. Only thing they have left is sales

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..

I see u always check for Roc Marci.

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Magic is a bit overrated on here IMO. It's a great project and straight rhyming compared to the other KDs which were smoother. I still prefer the KDs to it tho

I think the last 3 releases just made me realise the weight I put on how good Nas is lyrically on his albums. KD2 is near enough 5/5 for me but at the same time Nas lyrically was in a more chilled space on KD1 and 2. He was still bodying tracks so this isn't a diss but knowing Nas' lyrical ability, you just knew he could go up a gear or two

Then Nas went and took it up a notch on Magic from a lyrical standpoint so I find myself running back to Magic songs more often. Like Nas really went into the booth with a different level of aggression on Magic.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Magic is a bit overrated on here IMO. It's a great project and straight rhyming compared to the other KDs which were smoother. I still prefer the KDs to it tho
I disagree but I know exactly what you mean. The KD’s are much more song/music heavy…Magic is just him spittin for the most part, it's a more "hip hop" type joint, which is what I wanted from him. You can kinda say Hitboy was the MVP on the KD’s and Nas was the MVP on Magic, imo. I think Magic is underrated actually

Last edited: