Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Budda

Superstar
Daps
I tuned in, out of curiosity a few minutes ago and immediately got hit with this weird argument that the fans need to support because the label is on his back, they needed to recoup etc. This chick, who is obviously "the source," should be fired. Straight up. There's not an artist on the planet who has an "insider" out here talking shyt about fans, talking shyt about producers, talking shyt about industry shyt....this is insane. And as someone who used to work in "the industry" I'm baffled.

This dude is claiming Nas' album sales are being "played with" and it's a conspiracy, based on the source. What the fukk? This is unhinged shyt.

What sound y’all think he going for? I think Nas might be going for bigger records this time around. Like “bangers” in a sense and I feel like this album will have some big features as well.

I hope so, in retrospect the songs Nas was getting dissed for in the late 90’s like You Owe Me, Oochie Wally, Hate Me Now etc are the songs that further solidly his greatness away from what he’s heralded for.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
3 gold bars. Dope cover. He'll probably drop the tracklist on Nov 1st or close to the drop date. You think he's still working on it in the studio?

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What sound y’all think he going for? I think Nas might be going for bigger records this time around. Like “bangers” in a sense and I feel like this album will have some big features as well.
Everybody always act like they want Illmatic 2...I'll take a sequel to the greatest rap album too, don't get it fukked up...but I'm always hoping he goes back to full Escobar form. The way they're talking in some of the shyt I'm reading in here sounds like he may be kinda going there with it...not to mention being around Rae and Ghost and probably sparring and throwing ideas around and shyt...wishful thinking that's what we're about to get, some Esco shyt, :ahh:

dr-dre-nas-az-the-firm-phone-tap.jpg

Imagine if the The Firm joint was a dirtier, more New York, "fly gangsta" sounding album but with the same aura and shyt, :picard:, yeah I need that. Son might be too mature/civilized to take it there at this point tho.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
I was in the chat last night. The convo about the sales is kinda weird and delusional to me. You have to know your demographic if the sales are a huge goal (which I don't think). The Nas' fan are in majority in their 30's and 40's. They are not the people who have time to stream like that. We are not shady, nicki or beyonce fans. I agree with the fact that nas' fan should stop with the backpacker mentality but you can't fault them for the sales thing. I was talking to a young fan during Nas concert in paris and he didn't even knew magic dropped.
Coop was saying Nas take money out of his pocket to make his album since he's independent and fans need to help him with the sales. I'm sorry but the marketing ain't enough to warrant that. Nas at this point is clearly make these albums with hit boy for the love of it. maybe he's not gettin a return money wise, but his work with hit helped solidify his position as a goat and did a lot to kill any narratives about his music ad that in itself is a huge accomplishment and it was worth it.

HHID

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man, just looking at this list. I really dont be interested anymore. I probably heard 6 of these albums with Pusha being the one I played the most.. I havent even bothered to play Mega one yet.. ill get to it
Damn i was gonna post the same thing.. Hate myself for not even checking the Black Thought LP.... I probably haven't listened to half these albums and those i checked i only listened once and couldn't remember anything about them after that : Kendrick, Lupe, Push, Gibbs, Game..

BUTTTTT, to my personal experience of hardly giving 2 shyts about what drops every week, the JID album is one of the most groundbreaking stuff i've heard in the last 10 years, on some Kanye/Kendrick shyt when they blew up. And even him, since we're taking sales, with all the praise he got, i don't think he sold a lot.. And that's a terrible lool IMO..

You’re the one with the I Am avatar on twitter?
Yup. Not that it's my personal fave but always loved that cover. And even got it reworked for a amateur Nas mixtape i did some 15/20 years ago..

HHID

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was in the chat last night. The convo about the sales is kinda weird and delusional to me. You have to know your demographic if the sales are a huge goal (which I don't think). The Nas' fan are in majority in their 30's and 40's. They are not the people who have time to stream like that. We are not shady, nicki or beyonce fans. I agree with the fact that nas' fan should stop with the backpacker mentality but you can't fault them for the sales thing. I was talking to a young fan during Nas concert in paris and he didn't even knew magic dropped.
Coop was saying Nas take money out of his pocket to make his album since he's independent and fans need to help him with the sales. I'm sorry but the marketing ain't enough to warrant that. Nas at this point is clearly make these albums with hit boy for the love of it. maybe he's not gettin a return money wise, but his work with hit helped solidify his position as a goat and did a lot to kill any narratives about his music ad that in itself is a huge accomplishment and it was worth it.
Exactly. And i do have a confession to make, passed the few couple weeks after release, i think i streamed more of Magic and the KD albums via YouTube reactions than via the actual albums itself. I don't know it's just that i looooove seeing some of these kids (and less young people too) discover and react to greatness.. shyt, you start watching some of these vids and you end up binge watching them til 4-5 AM

Slim Charles

All Star
Daps
Exactly. And i do have a confession to make, passed the few couple weeks after release, i think i streamed more of Magic and the KD albums via YouTube reactions than via the actual albums itself. I don't know it's just that i looooove seeing some of these kids (and less young people too) discover and react to greatness.. shyt, you start watching some of these vids and you end up binge watching them til 4-5 AM

i hate to confess too but i'm the same haha. Checking some of the reaction videos will be part of the process of KDIII weekend. I think that puts me into the stan category :snoop: but it's also because, reviews these days are pretty garbage so it's good way to hear different perspectives/ thoughts on the music

it's interesting that of all the legends, Nas seems to get the most praise from these younger guys doing reaction videos. Most seem to come to the conclusion after watching 10-20+ Nas songs that no one on his level

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
i hate to confess too but i'm the same haha. Checking some of the reaction videos will be part of the process of KDIII weekend. I think that puts me into the stan category :snoop: but it's also because, reviews these days are pretty garbage so it's good way to hear different perspectives/ thoughts on the music

it's interesting that of all the legends, Nas seems to get the most praise from these younger guys doing reaction videos. Most seem to come to the conclusion after watching 10-20+ Nas songs that no one on his level
Y’all ain’t alone on that one. I definitely peep all the reviews or a majority

Dylmatic

All Star
Daps
Reppin
France
Just to put the sales talk in perspective.

That's the biggest first week numbers for hip-hop in 2006, Nas is outselling all of them expect Hov if they're releasing an album today.
He's doing more than fine in that regards compared to his peers from the 90s and even 00s.

The only rappers who debuted in the 90s or 00s and are selling more records than Nas in 2022 are : Jay-Z, Eminem, Lil Wayne, Kanye West, J.Cole, Kendrick and Drake. Nobody else. And they are all huge stars.
Nas is pretty much alone in a weird space behind them and above everyone else from that era.

Last edited:

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Nas just does his own thing, if he was chasing sales and clout he would have already had a song with one of the biggest young rappers aroundKodak) who has practically been begging to jump on a song with Nas. Let alone the likes of Drake Cole Kendrick who would jump at a Nas feature, if he really wanted to push, he could make him a few east moves that would bring him more visibility, clout attention and in turn sales and streams, but he doesn’t.

This is also what adds to his mystique all throughout his career, he has avoided or missed out on certain moments that would have help supplement his rise in superstardom, for example something as simple as not being on Lauryn Hills Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, when he should have been, all his career he has just done him and not necessarily make the obvious move.