Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Sometimes people take things too personal and attack the messenger instead of taking the time to understand what’s being said.
Exactly. This is very insightful information as a fan. People get emotional instead of just listening.

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Coop basically said the source told him people didn’t support Magic enough it dissalpointed in sales so he’s not sticking with that sound he’s gonna try to go the more radio friendly route

Said the fans claim to want Illmatic era Nas well he gave it to them and they didn’t support it

This is nonsense.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
Says that Nas has one of the only fanbases that still buys physical copies. Says Nas “Pure” album sales are consistently better than many major artists.

Says that if Nas core fanbase understood how to stream properly that Nas could consistently sell 100K.

Says that artists bigger than Nas struggle to sell pure albums but the reason they chart higher is because their streams are in the millions.

One of the only fanbases that stilly buys physicals? I'm gonna go to bed before I blow up on this chick lmao. Nearly every older artist/band in music has more physicals than streams. Example...

Last week's chart. Look at #15. Lamb Of God, old ass metal band. Band came out in 1994, ironically. First week sales: 21,585. Physicals: 19,231. Streams: 2,267. This is common as hell with older acts.
:dead:

Which means it's importance to have your store up and running super efficiently. The more physical copies and merch you can send out from your website, the better you are. Vinyl that gets shipped in a timely manner. Interesting merch that older and younger people might be interested in purchasing. That's where the money is for independent artists.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
One of the only fanbases that stilly buys physicals? I'm gonna go to bed before I blow up on this chick lmao. Nearly every older artist/band in music has more physicals than streams. Example...

Last week's chart. Look at #15. Lamb Of God, old ass metal band. Band came out in 1994, ironically. First week sales: 21,585. Physicals: 19,231. Streams: 2,267. This is common as hell with older acts.

Which means it's importance to have your store up and running super efficiently. The more physical copies and merch you can send out from your website, the better you are. Vinyl that gets shipped in a timely manner. Interesting merch that older and younger people might be interested in purchasing. That's where the money is for independent artists.

To be fair I think she meant “pure” as in physicals, itunes, and Amazon (those are the entities she listed)

And she also was probably talking about rappers more than artists of other genres. She specifically said that other than Em and Jay, nobody else from the 90’s era sells as much as Nas. So she was keeping it Hip Hop talk.

Listening to the whole thing I don’t feel like she’s trying to “blame” the fans as much as she’s trying to “educate” fans on how streaming works and the algorithms. She all but came out and said that other artists fanbases are exploiting the system and if Nas fans did the same he’d easily crack 100k first week.

She also said that first week numbers aren’t the end all/be all and that Nas’s numbers aren’t BAD but they aren’t as great as his fanbase’s potential power is.

Basically the heart of her message is that Nas core fanbase is still there and that the “pure” sales support that but the game is rigged through streaming and the only way to “win” is to properly run the streams up.

She referenced Nicki Minaj, Jay, & Lil Baby as artists whose core base can’t touch Nas’s but because they have fans who know how streaming works thats why they chart higher and longer

Life is Good

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL

What is she saying that’s so wrong and personal to you?

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
To be fair I think she meant “pure” as in physicals, itunes, and Amazon (those are the entities she listed)

And she also was probably talking about rappers more than artists of other genres. She specifically said that other than Em and Jay, nobody else from the 90’s era sells as much as Nas. So she was keeping it Hip Hop talk.

Listening to the whole thing I don’t feel like she’s trying to “blame” the fans as much as she’s trying to “educate” fans on how streaming works and the algorithms. She all but came out and said that other artists fanbases are exploiting the system and if Nas fans did the same he’d easily crack 100k first week.

She also said that first week numbers aren’t the end all/be all and that Nas’s numbers aren’t BAD but they aren’t as great as his fanbase’s potential power is.

Basically the heart of her message is that Nas core fanbase is still there and that the “pure” sales support that but the game is rigged through streaming and the only way to “win” is to properly run the streams up.

She referenced Nicki Minaj, Jay, & Lil Baby as artists whose core base can’t touch Nas’s but because they have fans who know how streaming works thats why they chart higher and longer
Simply put, what is the "proper" way to stream to aid in sales? She was kind of going on and on and I'm watching games so I couldn't really follow. What are we supposed to be doing differently than what we already are in terms of streaming?

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

As Nore says “Piff” you gotta relax

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Simply put, what is the "proper" way to stream to aid in sales? She was kind of going on and on and I'm watching games so I couldn't really follow. What are we supposed to be doing differently than what we already are in terms of streaming?

Basically

-Purchase the album via iTunes/Amazon/Nas online store

-Stream the album on other platforms (Tidal/ Apple Music/Spotify)

-If you purchase the album on iTunes then you need to make a separate PLAYLIST of the album on Apple Music for it to count as a stream.

Basically making a playlist is somehow now a big thing for streaming.

Most of this I personally already do as a Nas fan who wants to support. I always buy an iTunes copy AND a physical copy via the Nas online store. I also stream via Tidal on release day to help with streams.

waynep

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He's never going to stream as well as they want because of the age and the type of fans that he has.
My solution is instead of trying to play their game, play ur own game. Play to ur strengths.
If Physicals are moving at a good rate. Put emphasis on that even more. The tour probably had thousands of
people every night in there that probably didn't even know about Magic. So while they're shopping for merch you
should've been able to buy a copy of Magic, KD1 and KD2 on CD, cassette and vinyl... You can t play
the same game Lil Baby is playing or Beyonce and Nicki. Your fans aren't Barbz or a Hive.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
It’s surprising how more people don’t speak on the similarities between Head Over Heels and Best Of Me Remix.

Guess which came out first :sas2:

I picked up on it a few yrs ago & made me realize how much Jigga really idolized him

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
What is she saying that’s so wrong and personal to you?

She sounds delusional and is disrespecting Nas fans IMO. Nas is a legacy artist. He's not going to get streams without a hit record, and he hasn't had one since 2002. That's the main way streaming works. Drake's new album is largely selling because people keep listening to two songs. Future's album is doing great mainly thanks to Wait For U. That's not to say people aren't listening to the rest of the Future album, but that a hit sells your album better than album cuts. Given that the days of him having hits are long gone, Nas is not going to see a major streaming increase so why complain about it?

Here's some Spotify stats

Nas has 8.4M monthly listeners. So 8 million different people worldwide stream a Nas song within a month on the biggest streaming app, whether they're fans or casuals who heard a song on a playlist. That's a lot of streams for a 90s rapper. The only living 90s rappers that are higher are Jay (31M) and Busta (9.2M). My point is that Nas' numbers are great! Most rappers from that era are around 1-3M. We should be acknowledging his success, not complaining because he's not doing numbers that literally only two other people are doing.

If she wants more streams she should go work for Baby, or Drake, or Kendrick, or anyone else who has a significantly younger fanbase that literally streams music all day. This is like asking 40-50 year old people to use TikTok. They're going to use Facebook breh. No matter how much you tell them TikTok has more engagement, or that Instagram has more users...they're going to stick to Facebook because that's what that demographic does. So if you want to hit that demographic you need to reach them on Facebook. In Nas' case this means physical sales.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
Pitchfork and Rolling Stone already got the negative reviews done. Just gotta insert the names of the songs that apply

You know Pitchfork is going to mention Illmatic for no apparent reason and talk about how Nas is living in the shadow of it, when he's pushing 50 years old and the review is talking about his fifteenth album. :comeon:

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I forgot to add Snoop, who has 28M monthly listeners. So just three 90s rappers having more listeners. That’s pretty amazing, don’t you agree?

Busta’s numbers are also heavily inflated due to a p*ssy Cat Dolls remix. That chick said Nas turned down being on Scary Hours 2 a few weeks ago right. If Nas had done that track it would almost certainly be his most streamed track from 2018 onward, and his numbers would be higher. Which goes back to my point about the blueprint for selling. If you don’t have hits you need features. And if Drake wants you on a track you do it.
:manny: