Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
You have a point. That one line Nas dropped was all the promotion he needed to really get the fans excited. That's just Nas though. Honestly, people such as myself still waiting on the Nas Album Done project. LMAO. The lin didn't age well.

I have no idea why anyone would be waiting on that project. The plug was pulled. It was scrapped. It don’t exist besides the little snippets we got from his work with Timbaland on TWO songs (and one of those verses was reused)

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have no idea why anyone would be waiting on that project. The plug was pulled. It was scrapped. It don’t exist besides the little snippets we got from his work with Timbaland on TWO songs (and one of those verses was reused)

That album was always interesting. Nas was shooting down questions in regard to that album in interviews and only really dropped any details like 3-4 times out of the four years after he announced it was coming. Then to drop "Nas Album Done" on the Khaled album, which only built hype.

Then he dropped Nasir, which ended his contract with Def Jam, although Lost Tapes 2 was Def Jam and Mass Appeal. I always looked at it as Nas didn't want to give Def Jam THAT album and gave them a 7 song Nasir instead. There's an interview with Large Professor where he talks about being confused about that as well as he implies that the album he was working on before Nasir was better than Nasir. Said something about maybe the team had other plans.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
That album was always interesting. Nas was shooting down questions in regard to that album in interviews and only really dropped any details like 3-4 times out of the four years after he announced it was coming. Then to drop "Nas Album Done" on the Khaled album, which only built hype.

Then he dropped Nasir, which ended his contract with Def Jam, although Lost Tapes 2 was Def Jam and Mass Appeal. I always looked at it as Nas didn't want to give Def Jam THAT album and gave them a 7 song Nasir instead. There's an interview with Large Professor where he talks about being confused about that as well as he implies that the album he was working on before Nasir was better than Nasir. Said something about maybe the team had other plans.

The Nasir album was in my opinion 100% a ploy to get off Def Jam. I posted the timeline before with receipts but Nas actually launched Mass Appeal Records in 2014 with an eye to release Lost Tapes 2 via the label, NOT Def Jam. I’m absolutely convinced that the albums with Hit-Boy and Nas recent reemergence into the mainstream was all planned since that time. Nas wanted off Def Jam when Untitled came out, and had been planning his moves since that time. The Nasir album was, on paper, the perfect way to exit Def Jam. If that album would’ve been produced by prime Kanye and been critically acclaimed it would have been the greatest set up for his transition into Mass Appeal, but Kanye’s MAGA ass fukked it up.

All’s well that ends well though, the Hit-Boy produced albums have been undeniable successes

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
I was really excited about that album because of Hip Hop's involvement. He said the first time him and Nas hung out, they went to Alchemist's house/studio to vibe and pick beats. Having the guy who picked Hov's beats (and who is a big Nas stan) A&R a Nas album was just an amazing idea and then it didn't happen for whatever reason.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was really excited about that album because of Hip Hop's involvement. He said the first time him and Nas hung out, they went to Alchemist's house/studio to vibe and pick beats. Having the guy who picked Hov's beats (and who is a big Nas stan) A&R a Nas album was just an amazing idea and then it didn't happen for whatever reason.
I bet some of those songs are still in the vault. I had a feeling with will get Nas X Alchemist after everything with hit boy. I’m ready for this kd3 though :wow:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
You could make your own Nas Album Done playlist if you wanted. Just take the songs from LT2 and combine em with some loosies. Something like this:

1. No Bad Energy
2. Nas Album Done
3. Godfather IV
4. Echo
5. Systematic
6. Tanasia
7. The Sickness
8. The Season
9. Mecca
10. Adult Film
11. Highly Favored
12. The Art Of It
14. Adam & Eve
14. Find My Love
15. QueensBridge Politics

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Also, more interesting about the "Nas Album Done" era is this:

So is it true then? Is the album done and ready to go?
All we're doing now is plotting when we're dropping.

Do you have a title and an idea of when it might come out?
Yes, but it's not time to put that out there.

You put out the Dilla record as well. Do you have any other releases planned for the rest of 2016?
We're working on Dave East, he just finished up with his new music that he's about to release in a couple of weeks. Fashawn is working, DJ Shadow's working, I have The Lost Tapes 2, that's further down the road. A lot of stuff that's just laying around that's going to be released: Lost Tapes 2, and a couple of things I can't remember.

Most interesting is him talking about Lost Tapes 2 was "a lot of stuff that was laying around". This was two years before it dropped, so there was specific plans about what was going to be included. It's highly likely that none of the songs that made LT2 were songs that were going to be on that album.

And then there's this:

But according to Kyambo “Hip-Hop” Joshua, Hip Hop Since 1978 co-founder and veteran A&R, the album isn’t actually done yet. During the interview with Elliott Wilson and Brian “B. Dot” Miller before the opening of the Reasonable Doubt exhibition and pop-up in New York City, he revealed it was only 75 – 85 percent finished.

“It was just him traveling and involved with everything else he got going on right now, which is a lot,” he said of the delay. “Now we about to finish off and go back in, there’s not much left to do. He just wants to rewrite a couple verses.”

“It’s some of the best stuff I’ve heard him do,” he says of the album. We’ll take his word for it.

Daps
Never understood why it took nearly 30 yrs for a Beatminerz collab to happen in the first place. They used to record in the same studio for years, I can't imagine a working relationship or discussions about them doing stuff together didn't happen at some point.

"The Mecca" was flames, but given the legendary lineup I was a bit underwhelmed.

But Nas over some vintage Evil Dee or Mr. Walt grittiness :ahh:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Never understood why it took nearly 30 yrs for a Beatminerz collab to happen in the first place. They used to record in the same studio for years, I can't imagine a working relationship or discussions about them doing stuff together didn't happen at some point.

"The Mecca" was flames, but given the legendary lineup I was a bit underwhelmed.

But Nas over some vintage Evil Dee or Mr. Walt grittiness :ahh:

At one point Beatminerz were my fav production team. Those early BCC albums were tough. Dah Shinin still sounds like I'm hearing it for the first time every time I put it on.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas basically told us Magic was coming without telling us Magic was coming:

He’s like my Quincy [Jones], you know what I mean?” the rapper said. “So I feel like the next thing I do, if I was to work with Hit-Boy on the next thing I do, I think that we might do something that is going to be magical.”

^^^ this article is from 8/28/21. Talks about the possibility of KD3 too before he even announced it on Magic.

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Nas basically told us Magic was coming without telling us Magic was coming:

He’s like my Quincy [Jones], you know what I mean?” the rapper said. “So I feel like the next thing I do, if I was to work with Hit-Boy on the next thing I do, I think that we might do something that is going to be magical.”

^^^ this article is from 8/28/21. Talks about the possibility of KD3 too before he even announced it on Magic.
He told us on 40 side off kd2 as well.