Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
The highs of Nas + Salaam are higher than the Nas + Hit Boy.

I'm not mad at that. I feel like a lot of people shyt on Salaam like he was giving Nas trash production for years and I don't get it. They had great chemistry and they really understood each other.

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
The highs of Nas + Salaam are higher than the Nas + Hit Boy.
While that's true I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Nas worked with Salaam in his prime, and they made seminal records that still matter. The KD and Magic albums are all good-to-great but comparing them to when Nas was in his prime isn't fair. If we had time machines and could see what prime Nas and prime Hit Boy could create in 2001/2002 then we could talk.

ADP

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
While that's true I'm not sure it's a fair comparison. Nas worked with Salaam in his prime, and they made seminal records that still matter. The KD and Magic albums are all good-to-great but comparing them to when Nas was in his prime isn't fair. If we had time machines and could see what prime Nas and prime Hit Boy could create in 2001/2002 then we could talk.

For the sake of conversation, whats considered Hit boys prime ?! I thought this was it...

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps
For the sake of conversation, whats considered Hit boys prime ?! I thought this was it...

I'm not saying we're not in Hit Boy's prime. We probably are, you're right. I'm saying we aren't in Nas' prime so comparing the two eras isn't fair. Stevie Wonder made some dope music in the 90s but I'm not gonna compare it to his prime output for instance. There's not a song on these three albums that's gonna resonate a decade from now like Made You Look. Artists got eras where they're putting points on the board, for their legacy. What's your debut album, how did you avoid the sophomore jinx, what's your mainstream success like, what's your critical flop era, what's your comeback album like, etc. All that shyt goes into your legacy and how we rate an artist. Once you become a legacy artist your fate is sealed, you can't really move up or down the list IMO. You can still make great music, like Stevie did/does or whatever example you want to use. But Nas not out here trying to make hits and music is no longer his #1 priority like it was in his prime.

T.H.E.GOD

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

imagine mike make son take some shrooms. :ahh: