Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Wish we had spoiler alerts for folks who hadn’t listened yet

I’m seeing the Hov bars reposted Ad nausea

So question, do the bars not imply that Nas felt as though he lost the battle to that point (takeover), and needed to come back harder after the diss record?

Hence the release of “Stillmatic” and “God Son” after the alleged subpar album run post “Illmatic” and “ahhhh” which is clearly Hov shading “It Was Written”

Now take into consideration, many critics felt like Nas sort of relapsed into another pattern of subpar releases post God Son up until this current King Disease era..

Y’all let me know what you think, I’m going to listen on my way to the gym lol
When I listen to the bars on KD3 I feel like he's just saying the friendly rivalry with he and Jay will always be there to some extent. I didn't think it meant much more than that. But I could be wrong.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Ransom isn’t prestigious enough to even open his mouf like this, but he not lying

He was getting back to form on Magic, but even a couple songs on there you can tell Nas was coasting.

This KD3 shyt is actually Nas all 16 tracks
I felt like KD1 was him shaking the rust off, and KD2 was him on some more chill and luxurious life celebration vibes. Nit as hungry sounding but not as rusty sounding as KD1 and definitely not as shaky as Nasir. I don't hear much of a difference between his rapping to be honest on Magic and KD3. Both are incredible top shelf Nas emceeing to my ears.

Controversy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Philly
I gave this another listen...I'm gonna say 8.75/10

Originally, I gave it an 8.5...but the crispness, clarity, and bravado of Nas rhymes elevates it higher than my first listen

This is a real smooth listen...but the highs on KD2 starting with Store Run, to the introspection of Nobody, and the chilling feeling I got listening to My Bible are highs that KD3 doesn't reach for me

If we had 2 or 3 high moments, I'd be more inclined to put this over KD2

In Source terms, 4.5 mics

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
This what these new dudes don’t get. Ransom can rap but he can’t do what Nas does. Nas is like Kubrick with music. You can have the blatant bars but be missing that “it” factor. Its the lyrical nuance that makes Nas stand out
Yes. Ransom is a great lyricist, but so far he hasn't had the midas touch on production and he doesn't have the same charisma that Nas does, or even frankly a lot of his peers on the indie scene. There's intangibles to the shyt. For example a cat like Boldy James has a monotone voice, but still a lot more charm and charisma than Ransom has. Ran is definitely one of my favorite writers in the game, but when I hear him rap a lot of times it sounds like he's reading the bars off the page and into the microphone. When I hear Nas rap I feel like I don't hear that "I'm rapping my lines now" kind of energy. It just sounds like dude's speaking his life into the mic.

Mastamimd

Ain't shyt
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Yes. Ransom is a great lyricist, but so far he hasn't had the midas touch on production and he doesn't have the same charisma that Nas does, or even frankly a lot of his peers on the indie scene. There's intangibles to the shyt. For example a cat like Boldy James has a monotone voice, but still a lot more charm and charisma than Ransom has. Ran is definitely one of my favorite writers in the game, but when I hear him rap a lot of times it sounds like he's reading the bars off the page and into the microphone. When I hear Nas rap I feel like I don't hear that "I'm rapping my lines now" kind of energy. It just sounds like dude's speaking his life into the mic.

This. He's unbelievably robotic