Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Who the fukk cares. It’s 2022. For the life of me why would anyone expect a legend artist that debuted in fukkin1994 to have a hit record in 2022.

The album will be acclaimed by critics and more importantly his peers. And most importantly by fans.

He’ll eat off vinyl and merch

Nas has enough money to last him 200 lifetimes. Perhaps the biggest thing I appreciate about him is that he puts out high quality hip-hop with a pen game that never slouches even though he's filthy rich. I can't say that about any other MC alive.

The sales and merch are just brand promotion for him at this point. His quality of life wouldn't be affected one iota if he gave this album away for free.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Nas has enough money to last him 200 lifetimes. Perhaps the biggest thing I appreciate about him is that he puts out high quality hip-hop with a pen game that never slouches even though he's filthy rich. I can't say that about any other MC alive.

The sales and merch are just brand promotion for him at this point. His quality of life wouldn't be affected one iota if he gave this album away for free.
100%

H.S.

All Star
Daps
Wouldnt that mean that as a fan or someone mimicking him like you say…he probably holds him to a higher regard than just acting like everything Nas drops is classic? Nas was rapping on all of these drops but theres a difference between the last two than the first two. He sounds waaaay more comfortable and more than anything…energized and engaged on these last two.

Eh, I don't know about that. I think he's just rapping to the beats in front of him. The overall pace/tempo of each album has picked up in general. Of course he wasn't going crazy and doing verbal gymnastics on stuff like Car 85 and The Pressure, but they're still dope ass songs.

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
When Nasir dropped he tweeted some shyt about it’s a shame the greats can’t flow or stay on beat anymore. Some shyt like that

Looking back, it sucks how Nas took the blame for how that album turned out when it was Kanye who treated it like a high school essay. If they had spent more time together, it would have been better than Daytona.

LEEeveryday

The-Coli Music Critic
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#LyricsMatter
I'm bugging that Illmatic was released in '94 and Nas is STILL at this level. Almost 29 years later and he's still able to rap like THIS?

He's still able to make authentic HIP HOP in a sea of counterfeit-culture-vulture-opportunist, number-crunching-dumb-nikkas, and dikkriding-for-interview consideration-talking-heads.

His longevity slider has to be GOAT status.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I meant scared by you saying it should only be an EP. I think Primo would go into it differently given the stakes and be able to do more than 5 songs.

P

Again in 2014:

Nas out of his own mouth in a 2008 MTV interview:

It's not just "stuck in the 90's" fans asking for something because they want that old thing back. If that was the case people would've been asking for a Nas album with either Extra P, Pete, RZA, Havoc, Q Tip, or anyone great producer from that era. People keep asking for Nas/Premier because they're the ones who kept teasing it all these years. Nas just teased it now so don't get mad when people bring it up from here on out. This is never going away until they officially announce it or flat out deny it.
I literally couldn't be less mad about any of this if I tried. Preemo is my favorite producer of all time. Nas is my second favorite rapper of all time, and I think he's the objective best of all time. I'd be a fool to not be excited about a Preemo and Nas album. I guess my OG post came off way more intense or annoyed than I meant for it too. I'm genuinely grateful to be alive in an era where this album could happen. I've wanted it for years.

I was just expressing the sentiment since I used to be an A&R that with my nerd A&R hat on, if I were putting the album together, I'd love a 5-7 joint project with all 5/5 songs. No skips. No filler. No guests. In my mind that's the perfect Nas/Preemo project. In my mind the brilliance of Preemo and Nas is they always leave people wanting more. And I'd love for their project to reflect that energy.

I'm also a sucker for short albums. They're my favorites.

But I'd never fukking complain for a second about a longer Preem/Nas album either.

bigde09

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I will say the production on here does not reach the same highs as Magic and KD2 (the beats are not bad by ANY means) but the way Nas is spitting on here puts KD3 over those two overall.

It’s just crazy that he can still do this at 49 :wow:

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
So you believe people can't have a critical opinion of someone's work if that person does certain things better than than them?

You're on an internet discussion forum centered around hip-hop and sports, where 99.9% of the posters offering their critical opinions on the subjects at hand fall into that category.

It ain't their criticisms of Nas or of his music that's the problem here.

Ransom is a rapper not a regular fan. For a rapper to say another rapper dropped a fire album is normal. But to point out flaws like you are stephen a smith is borderline disrespectful. If you dont think it's good you just say nothing. You don't negatively over analyze another mc when you didn't even do a eighth of what he did. Nas is 30 years deep in his career and is 49. Ransom might not have a career still in 5 years. That's not the first time he got a reckless mouth concerning nas

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I'm bugging that Illmatic was released in '94 and Nas is STILL at this level. Almost 29 years later and he's still able to rap like THIS?

He's still able to make authentic HIP HOP in a sea of counterfeit-culture-vulture-opportunist, number-crunching-dumb-nikkas, and dikkriding-for-interview consideration-talking-heads.

His longevity slider has to be GOAT status.
I think so much of it is inspiration too. And having one producer you vibe with. That's my thing, right? Like Hit-Boy isn't one of my favorite beatmakers at all. He's great, but it goes to show the difference between a beatmaker and a producer. Being able to help an artist feel comfortable, and find a creative spark, and feel rejuvenated and inspired...those are all traits of the best producers. And Hit-Boy is proving himself to be that.

I mean this sincere and not as a backhanded compliment, but you put a lot of these KD series beats on a beat tape and they'll sound great, but the sum is greater than the parts. I just love that Nas feels inspired at 50 years old to make some of the best music of his career.

I think Nas is inspiring to everyone here. No matter what your craft in life is, or whatever your creative pursuit is, you can get inspiration at any time, and you can age like wine, and get better with time.