Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL
Originally, I gave it an 8.5...but the crispness, clarity, and bravado of Nas rhymes elevates it higher than my first listen

This is a real smooth listen...but the highs on KD2 starting with Store Run, to the introspection of Nobody, and the chilling feeling I got listening to My Bible are highs that KD3 doesn't reach for me

If we had 2 or 3 high moments, I'd be more inclined to put this over KD2

In Source terms, 4.5 mics

Im not mad at this take. The highs on KD2 are :wow:

But there are records on Kd2 im meh towards.

I skip Em verse on EPMD2
I skip Brunch on Sundays (its not for me)
I sometimes skip YKTV, not bc its bad because I wanna get to Store Run quicker.

There are no skips for me on KD3...this is a more consistent album top to bottom for me. Thats why i got it as the best of the trilogy

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I gave this another listen...I'm gonna say 8.75/10

Originally, I gave it an 8.5...but the crispness, clarity, and bravado of Nas rhymes elevates it higher than my first listen

This is a real smooth listen...but the highs on KD2 starting with Store Run, to the introspection of Nobody, and the chilling feeling I got listening to My Bible are highs that KD3 doesn't reach for me

If we had 2 or 3 high moments, I'd be more inclined to put this over KD2

In Source terms, 4.5 mics

Same way I feel. There's something missing without those high points. I thinking 4 mics.

Yes. Ransom is a great lyricist, but so far he hasn't had the midas touch on production and he doesn't have the same charisma that Nas does, or even frankly a lot of his peers on the indie scene. There's intangibles to the shyt. For example a cat like Boldy James has a monotone voice, but still a lot more charm and charisma than Ransom has. Ran is definitely one of my favorite writers in the game, but when I hear him rap a lot of times it sounds like he's reading the bars off the page and into the microphone. When I hear Nas rap I feel like I don't hear that "I'm rapping my lines now" kind of energy. It just sounds like dude's speaking his life into the mic.

Ransom's pen is top 5 right now. He's an elite writer, flow is nice but I think he just doesn't have the type of voice that can deliver emotion.