Nas - King's Disease III (Discussion Thread)

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
He's an A&R within Hit-Boy's team.

I know its probably a dumb question, but what exactly DOES an A&R do these days? It seems like with the rise of social media and “viral” moments and the fall of actual Hip Hop based publications I don’t see what an A&R would even really do besides maybe run the artists social media

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I know its probably a dumb question, but what exactly DOES an A&R do these days? It seems like with the rise of social media and “viral” moments and the fall of actual Hip Hop based publications I don’t see what an A&R would even really do besides maybe run the artists social media
I think probably helps with the direction of how the album will sound. Probably gives suggestions on the beats, assist with what features will sound good on certain songs etc.. song placement etc.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
At this point in his career, he can work with anyone he likes. He's one of the few older heads who shows the newer generation love/respect. The younger cats he has on his recent albums he is a fan of, otherwise they wouldnt get placements.

I never understood why there is no collabs between nas and the lupes drakes coles and Kendricks. Like Jay been on all these cats first albums. That's also part of the legacy of a great, to pass the torch. Kinda like Michael and Kobe on the same court or Kobe and lebron. G rap made a song with Nas, big daddy kane with big l.
Even if he don't want them in his album. to not have one featuring without them is weird, I wish someone would ask him why

Icewatermetallik

TheEastisintheHouse
Daps
There is a gray area that exists between those two groups- that is, younger and talented artists and older but still relevant artists, overall they havent done bad balancing the two groups for the KD series. Im not trying to hear no damn Rakim, Havoc, or Redman on KD3 thats for sure. You might as well play Illmatic dawg if thats the sound you looking for

So you telling me you wanna hear YG, Fivio Foreign and Lil Durk on a Nas album? Cmon bro. They're terrible.

You either lyin or you must be like 18 years old.

I like that Nas is thinking outside the box with the guest spots but if he wants to include "younger" or more modern artists why not J. Cole, Kendrick, or even someone like Elzhi? Actual real rappers.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
So you telling me you wanna hear YG, Fivio Foreign and Lil Durk on a Nas album? Cmon bro. They're terrible.

You either lyin or you must be like 18 years old.

I like that Nas is thinking outside the box with the guest spots but if he wants to include "younger" or more modern artists why not J. Cole, Kendrick, or even someone like Elzhi? Actual real rappers.
If I was 18 I probably wouldnt be posted up in this thread. And the question you asked there is much different than saying you want to hear Rakim in 2022 on a Nas album.

Icewatermetallik

TheEastisintheHouse
Daps
If I was 18 I probably wouldnt be posted up in this thread. And the question you asked there is much different than saying you want to hear Rakim in 2022 on a Nas album.

Well Rakim or any one of those other dudes I mentioned are better than the ones that have been on KD1 and KD2.......

You'd rather hear YG and Lil Durk over a Rakim or Raekwon or J. Cole?

If that's your preference then more power to you but I want to hear the OG's.....

kes929

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Well Rakim or any one of those other dudes I mentioned are better than the ones that have been on KD1 and KD2.......

You'd rather hear YG and Lil Durk over a Rakim or Raekwon or J. Cole?

If that's your preference then more power to you but I want to hear the OG's.....
Go listen to older albums would probably be the better option than expecting that on KD3. Cole is possible. And in todays setting Rakim is not better sonically than of of the artist that have been on of the KD’s.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
I never understood why there is no collabs between nas and the lupes drakes coles and Kendricks. Like Jay been on all these cats first albums. That's also part of the legacy of a great, to pass the torch. Kinda like Michael and Kobe on the same court or Kobe and lebron. G rap made a song with Nas, big daddy kane with big l.
Even if he don't want them in his album. to not have one featuring without them is weird, I wish someone would ask him why

Its not weird. Nas has done the “passing the torch” thing before with newer artists. He made a song with Quan when NOBODY knew who Quan was and said “Here’s another warrior song from Nasty and Quan/its to HIM I pass the Paton to carry this on”

And look what happened? Quan got caught up in some dumb shyt and went back to jail, got dropped, and now he’s back to nobody knowing who he is.

Nas has shown love to Cole and Lupe and in return Cole shyt on him over the Kelis accusation and Lupe publicly said he was happier that Royce was nominated for a Grammy more than he was for Nas to win one. He also listened to half a song on Magic and told everybody on Instagram that the album sounded like Nas was influenced by J.Cole. But he expects to work with him?

As far as Drake goes, they exist in two different lanes. But when their lanes DO occasionally intersect Nas has shown Drake nothing but love. They did a Sprite commercial together

Same thing with Kendrick. Nas has shown Kendrick respect and Kendrick shouted Nas out during his Grammy speech and has praised both Illmatic and It Was Written as two of his favorite albums.

Beyond that, Nas has worked with a plethora of young artists and shown them love. He was on Joey Badass’s recent album and did a full song with him on Statik Selectah’s album

He’s had Big Sean, Ace Boogie, YG, Fivio Foreign, ASAP Ferg, ASAP Rocky, BLXST, and Durk his last three albums.

Sean has no song with Jay-Z
YG has no song with Jay-Z
Ferg has no song with Jay-Z
Rocky has no song with Jay-Z

Perhaps we should be focusing on which artists Nas HAS worked with instead of focusing on the artists Jay has worked with