Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

JoelB

All Praise To TMH
Daps
Reppin
PHI 2 ATL

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
I like this. The beat is definitely a little bit underwhelming, but honestly a lot of Preemo joints aren't as mindblowing without the lyrics on them. A lot of the beats that collected dust series is like that.

And even if you go back and listen to a lot of his classics in instrumental form, they're obviously fire, but all of his joints sound the best when the artist is on the track.

Even listen to instrumentals like So Ghetto, 2nd Childhood, Kick in the Door, etc. He doesn't make "beat battle" type beats. His production is always in service of the rapper.

This joint is like that. It's in service of Nas, and there's lots of open pockets for Nas to rhyme in. I dig the song. Not the best Preemo beat, and as a single I get why it's a little underwhelming, but the album should be dope.

Also, Preem has legitimately slipped a little bit in the last 10-15 years. He's still dope, but it is what it is. Glad these brothers are alive, happy, and making music. I'm here for it.

Oh, and @areohbee824 my favorite Preemo x Nas joint is Nas is Like.

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
All due respect. And believe me, there is a lot of respect due when you mention premier.

But this isn’t that surprising. When was the last time he gave us a classic?
The last totally produced Preem album I really loved front to back was The Ownerz. Scratch that, the posthumous Gang Starr album was incredible and surpassed my expectations.

But a lot of his fully produced albums since Guru passed aren't THAT crazy. Blaqprint, Kolexxion, etc. They got bangers sprinkled throughout, don't get me wrong.

He's still my favorite beat-maker ever. :wow:

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
All due respect. And believe me, there is a lot of respect due when you mention premier.

But this isn’t that surprising. When was the last time he gave us a classic?

Probably the best example of progression being done by Prem while keeping his signature. Wish he had done more beats like the ones he did for Royce, instead of this shyt :scust:

MikeStamina

All Star
Daps
Finally listened to the song

The Coli can exaggerate like a muhfuka

It seems most of you are either too young or have forgotten what a WARM UP single is 🤦🏾‍♂️

Then I remember y'all the same muhfukas that draw conclusions off song titles

Nothing wrong with the song for it's purpose. Just a shoulder tap....an appetizer....We Comin

Wait for the main course then judge appropriately

RIPODB

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
East Side
@TheDarceKnight man the ownerz is a personal classic to me too. I still play that a lot.

And @Blessed Koala i had kinda slept on that record I’m glad you posted it. I’ll give it another shot.

But for me this is the last Primo beat that made me say WOW. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

This was like 14 years ago.

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
@TheDarceKnight man the ownerz is a personal classic to me too. I still play that a lot.

And @Blessed Koala i had kinda slept on that record I’m glad you posted it. I’ll give it another shot.

But for me this is the last Primo beat that made me say WOW. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing.

This was like 14 years ago.

Now that's more like it :wow:

Prem can do his thing without being a relic of its former self. Stuff like this is GOATtier, and shyt like the new Nas track just screams "ehh people still will listen to it because Nas".

I feel that this track was for the "real hip hop" heads that are stuck in 98 with Fubu baggys and 40oz.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
Hopefully both Nas and Preem see the lukewarm reaction to the track and go back into the lab and re-focus.

They realize ppl been waiting on this album for 30 years, expectations are SUPER high.

Pressure is more on preem honestly. Nas already shut down all the doubters and naysayers. Primo was the one saying nas should call, whenever nas is ready he'll deliver. So now that is time. He can't drop the ball.