Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I like this. The beat is definitely a little bit underwhelming, but honestly a lot of Preemo joints aren't as mindblowing without the lyrics on them. A lot of the beats that collected dust series is like that.

And even if you go back and listen to a lot of his classics in instrumental form, they're obviously fire, but all of his joints sound the best when the artist is on the track.

Even listen to instrumentals like So Ghetto, 2nd Childhood, Kick in the Door, etc. He doesn't make "beat battle" type beats. His production is always in service of the rapper.

This joint is like that. It's in service of Nas, and there's lots of open pockets for Nas to rhyme in. I dig the song. Not the best Preemo beat, and as a single I get why it's a little underwhelming, but the album should be dope.

Also, Preem has legitimately slipped a little bit in the last 10-15 years. He's still dope, but it is what it is. Glad these brothers are alive, happy, and making music. I'm here for it.

Oh, and @areohbee824 my favorite Preemo x Nas joint is Nas is Like.

Didn't Premier describe himself as a beat tailor? It's not like Dre where he has a bunch of beats sitting around and he gives them to whoever can get them. He works with the artist and constructs the beat around their voice and the topic of the song. Guru would write down song titles and topics on a piece of paper ("Brainstorm is a rhyming joint"), then when it was time to work on a particular song, Premier would make the beat based on what Guru wrote down.

Nas and Premier have done a lot of songs together, but this is the first time they've been able to sit down and make an album. Neither of them have to worry about leaving to go on tour or not getting their calls answered. Everything we've heard from them have been one-offs. Something like this track or "Beat Breaks" is completely different from an album track, or an entire full-length project. Nas is more motivated on the mic than he's been in years, and Premier's not going to fukk up the job like Kanye did. They know what's at stake here.

MikeStamina

All Star
Daps
Finally listened to the song

The Coli can exaggerate like a muhfuka

It seems most of you are either too young or have forgotten what a WARM UP single is 🤦🏾‍♂️

Then I remember y'all the same muhfukas that draw conclusions off song titles

Nothing wrong with the song for it's purpose. Just a shoulder tap....an appetizer....We Comin

Wait for the main course then judge appropriately

Let me also add sometimes the warm up single doesn't even make the final album.

But what is The Coli without outrage and bombastic statements

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga
Just got the email from Mass Appeal

Nas is going on a Illmatic 30th Anniversary World Tour throughout Europe from October to November

The Nas/Premo Album is 100% confirmed for “Later this year”.

I’m not sure if all of this means the album will come later in the year AFTER the Illmatic tour or if they’ll do it like Magic 2 and 3 and just drop it when its ready. But i’d like to think that Nas and Premo would tour the new album too.

I guess we’ll see

Either way 2024 is shaping up to be a rather exciting time to be a Nas fan! SEVEN ALBUMS in 4 years. I’ll be damned

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
I was anticipating this last night and at some point I thought the beat would change. I love the lyrics, but I didn't like the beat too much. We've heard Primo do beats 10x better than this just last year. His beat for "contraband" for Teflon is better than this. I don't blame primo because this is the beat Nas chose. Damn, Nas could have chose one of the joints from the Beats that collected dust vol 3

CrimsonTider

Seduce & Scheme
WOAT
Daps
As a longtime fan I used to pray for this moment. Excited about what’s to come. Nas been having some big moments and is on a hell of a run. Who would’ve thought that 8-year break between LIG and KD1 would lead to 7 albums in 4 years. :whew:
Y’all use to say everyone else music was fast food and it took time to craft real hiphop

My have the times changed

Left.A1

Superstar
Daps

Interesting, I didn't know this track was getting hated. The flabby dust heads back mad again over their boy Nas's production huh :mjlol: the cycle continues.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
Y’all use to say everyone else music was fast food and it took time to craft real hiphop

My have the times changed
It’s kind of corny when you say y’all. Point to me when I have ever criticized a rapper for releasing a lot of music or that it was necessary for a lot of time to elapse in order for the music to be quality. Otherwise, to the left.

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
I was anticipating this last night and at some point I thought the beat would change. I love the lyrics, but I didn't like the beat too much. We've heard Primo do beats 10x better than this just last year. His beat for "contraband" for Teflon is better than this. I don't blame primo because this is the beat Nas chose. Damn, Nas could have chose one of the joints from the Beats that collected dust vol 3
How do you know any of this? :what:

areohbee824

Superstar
Daps