Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I like this. The beat is definitely a little bit underwhelming, but honestly a lot of Preemo joints aren't as mindblowing without the lyrics on them. A lot of the beats that collected dust series is like that.

And even if you go back and listen to a lot of his classics in instrumental form, they're obviously fire, but all of his joints sound the best when the artist is on the track.

Even listen to instrumentals like So Ghetto, 2nd Childhood, Kick in the Door, etc. He doesn't make "beat battle" type beats. His production is always in service of the rapper.

This joint is like that. It's in service of Nas, and there's lots of open pockets for Nas to rhyme in. I dig the song. Not the best Preemo beat, and as a single I get why it's a little underwhelming, but the album should be dope.

Also, Preem has legitimately slipped a little bit in the last 10-15 years. He's still dope, but it is what it is. Glad these brothers are alive, happy, and making music. I'm here for it.

Oh, and @areohbee824 my favorite Preemo x Nas joint is Nas is Like.

Have to disagree with Preem not making beat battle type beats. shyt like Boom and Half and Half is fading 99.9% of cats. I agree that he does purposely tailor his beats for vocals to standout though.

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Finally listened to the song

The Coli can exaggerate like a muhfuka

It seems most of you are either too young or have forgotten what a WARM UP single is 🤦🏾‍♂️

Then I remember y'all the same muhfukas that draw conclusions off song titles

Nothing wrong with the song for it's purpose. Just a shoulder tap....an appetizer....We Comin

Wait for the main course then judge appropriately
Facts

NormanConnors

Detroit/MSU Spartan Life
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
This and the Ab Soul track are the best Premo beats I've heard in a minute. When he gets stuck in that low bpm/slow booming drums you know exactly what it's gonna sound like after 2 seconds. He just dropped a track with Snoop that's just like that. Super slow and boring.

I think a full album is gonna give him opportunity to play around with multiple sounds so I won't let this track convince me it's gonna be a bunch of slow beats.
The PRhyme work showed the versatility is still there

King Poetic

A.K.A. Curve
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southern California
Definitely

176068_1.jpg

Production and lyrics fresh as fruit

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
I like this. The beat is definitely a little bit underwhelming, but honestly a lot of Preemo joints aren't as mindblowing without the lyrics on them. A lot of the beats that collected dust series is like that.

And even if you go back and listen to a lot of his classics in instrumental form, they're obviously fire, but all of his joints sound the best when the artist is on the track.

Even listen to instrumentals like So Ghetto, 2nd Childhood, Kick in the Door, etc. He doesn't make "beat battle" type beats. His production is always in service of the rapper.

This joint is like that. It's in service of Nas, and there's lots of open pockets for Nas to rhyme in. I dig the song. Not the best Preemo beat, and as a single I get why it's a little underwhelming, but the album should be dope.

Also, Preem has legitimately slipped a little bit in the last 10-15 years. He's still dope, but it is what it is. Glad these brothers are alive, happy, and making music. I'm here for it.

Oh, and @areohbee824 my favorite Preemo x Nas joint is Nas is Like.
Premo beats even when simple always had a certain flavor to them. This one lacks that flavor.

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
How do you know any of this? :what:
Because Nas rhymed over the beat. It's the beat primo presented to him and he chose it. Primo said he mostly makes beats for artists and not have them choose from a variety of them (as most producers do). Edo G detailed the "sayin something" track he did with Primo. He said Primo made ONE BEAT for him and he didn't like the first one and then he made another one that he picked. Similar to Dilla and Common with the beats he gave him for Electric Circus. Dilla said those are the tracks that Common wanted and the direction he wanted to go. If Nas didn't like that track, he could have had Primo make him another one. It's the one he chose for this song.

Neuromancer

Son of the Robot
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
A Villa Straylight.
Because Nas rhymed over the beat. It's the beat primo presented to him and he chose it. Primo said he mostly makes beats for artists and not have them choose from a variety of them (as most producers do). Edo G detailed the "sayin something" track he did with Primo. He said Primo made ONE BEAT for him and he didn't like the first one and then he made another one that he picked. Similar to Dilla and Common with the beats he gave him for Electric Circus. Dilla said those are the tracks that Common wanted and the direction he wanted to go. If Nas didn't like that track, he could have had Primo make him another one. It's the one he chose for this song.
You listening to Nas for beats?

T.he I.nformant

1st Ballot HOF Teller
Daps
Reppin
Wherever nikkas need to be told on
You talking out of both sides of your mouth :hula: