Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

Justise M

Superstar
Daps
This beat would be terrible even in 1993.

Premier seems stuck in a time loop.

Nas come correct as expected but naaaaaah

That's the problem for me. Beat sounds like it was done it 5 mins. Hopefully the album isn't as simplistic

Daps
Preem gotta step it up!! He doesn’t seem to be challenging himself and the basic beats show it!!

nahnah

Superstar
Daps
Looking forward to the album

Nas sounding dope

Premo should have kept that beat to himself though

Mike the Executioner

What went on up there? Poppers and weird sex!
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, New York
I don’t even think it's a thing with bigger names. But I spent 20+ years watching Preem give beats to dudes like Skyzoo and Royce that I would've loved to hear Nas on. Every project Alchemist drops, I'm thinking, "Damn, this is the kinda sh*t Nas should be getting." Since like '99, that's been a thing, the beats.

Nas is in my Top 5-6 MC's of all-time, but he pisses me off. I look at his catalogue, and 1/2 of it is suspect because of production. Nas ain't never had a problem with showing up, lyrically. But dude seriously does his own A&R work, so there's no one around telling him that maybe he should pick some other beats, lol. So after I Am, it became a thing where you couldn't let bro's music play without skipping because you knew he was gonna have some suspect beats on the projects.

Pete did a whole joint with Smoke DZA. Production was FIRE! He has the Common album coming up soon. Large has done a few projects since, all dope. Tip is doing the same. Those dudes from back in the day are still cooking up some sh*t! So when I hear their joints, I bug out on why Nas ain't getting back with them to do something for this era. Nas could easily reach out to them, but instead, he'll be like, "I got 5 new albums coming produced entirely by Mike & Keys". HAHA!! I don’t get it.

To me, Nas' problem was never beat selection, it was track selection. Issues with sequencing and putting together the proper tracklist. Street's Disciple could have been a grittier, more focused album, and even on that one, you have great songs that nobody talks about ("Nazareth Savage," "American Way," "Reason," "Street's Disciple," "War"). But imagine if "Talk of New York" and "Foul Breeze" made the cut. Nas obviously records a lot and in those days, was working with multiple producers, so he'll end up with tons of fire material in the vault while trying to put together the story of what the album is. That's how you end up getting "You Can't Kill Me" on HHID instead of "Where Y'all At."

One thing I noticed about the Hit-Boy era is that problem is completely gone. I'm sure there are plenty of great songs we haven't heard, but the quality control on these six albums is incredible. I'm not sitting here wondering why certain songs made the cut. I'm not questioning the sequencing and the flow of the albums is consistent. The main difference is that Nas is on Mass Appeal now, so him making so much music with Hit-Boy means it doesn't have to stay in the vault. It can just come out. I don't think it's a coincidence that the Premier album is coming out this year. It's just a matter of linking up at the right time and clearing schedules.

Maybe Nas does an album with Alchemist next. Or Large Professor or Madlib. Whatever the case, the freedom is there to do everything.

diggy

Florida Man
Supporter
Daps
DJ Glad finna have a field day with this beat choice. Outside of the scratches and the silence, it's redundant as hell and boring. Nas rappin, but I'd demand more.

((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL

RIP MR. SMOKE
Daps
Beat is weak but wasn't expecting much as premo fell off at least a decade ago. I will say though. The beat itself bangs way harder than any of those hitboy beats and nas's lyrics just come through way cleaner.

That's another issue I have with hitboys beats. The mixing. They always sound so flat and the levels are all over the place. This premo beat is very mid but at least nas's voice and lyrics are popping through. Nas just feels more at home on this style of production. It's just the facts:yeshrug:

But overall this is the reason I wasn't necessarily too hyped about them coming together. Cause premo's sample game just isn't the same anymore. They have no character. Just way too monotonous and repetitive. He shoulda gave Nas the beat he gave snoop. This shyt is WAY better.