Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

waynep

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its mental illness because i critique a song?

Yall grown men are fukking weird when it comes to this guy

I said i dont like not one of Kedrick, Cole or Drake albums ever. Not one of those fanbases gave a fukk.
Nuggets in 5 chump

Budda

Superstar
Daps

I said i dont like not one of Kedrick, Cole or Drake albums ever. Not one of those fanbases gave a fukk.

You seem to pst the most in Nas threads though, every Nas thread your one of the posters with the most posts, without fail for years on years.

AkaDemiK

I Love Hip-Hop
Daps

If you read what I just said and think it’s about your freedom to critique music, then nvm fam….be great

Ziploc

Celestial
Daps
I am not a fan of the stab collage sample production style of Premo, shyt is predictable and stale. His best beats are the sample flips where he leaves room for melody, not the single stab sounds with a scratched hook,it feels lazy.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
The extra rappers didn't hop on "On The Real" until after the song was scrapped for the album. That's when Marley started playing it on Future Flavas that spring. It was a throwaway by then. Which is why he would always say so before he played it. Nas already said Marley didn't leak anything but doesn't know who did.

Stoute was around way before Marley and Nas even started working. He gave Nas the budget to go get the producers he wanted. But when he came back with his list and started working with dudes, Stoute said no.
That goes against all of the interviews and articles I've read over the years, but from what you've posted in here it sounds like you were around back in those days so I'll take your word for it.
Clean your ears.

Store run shyte on QB politics so does Nas is Good.
Store Run and Nas Is Good are good beats and great songs (better songs than QBP tbh), but the Queensbridge Politics beat sounds like the stuff classics are made of. Nas didn't really finish the song so it didn't quite hit it's full potential, but that beat feels undeniable to me. Maybe you just prefer soul samples, but for me, Jazzy piano loops and hard drums are the pinnacle of hip hop. Different strokes for different folks.

Alexander Wiggin

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Paris Saint-Germain
I don’t even think it's a thing with bigger names. But I spent 20+ years watching Preem give beats to dudes like Skyzoo and Royce that I would've loved to hear Nas on. Every project Alchemist drops, I'm thinking, "Damn, this is the kinda sh*t Nas should be getting." Since like '99, that's been a thing, the beats.

Nas is in my Top 5-6 MC's of all-time, but he pisses me off. I look at his catalogue, and 1/2 of it is suspect because of production. Nas ain't never had a problem with showing up, lyrically. But dude seriously does his own A&R work, so there's no one around telling him that maybe he should pick some other beats, lol. So after I Am, it became a thing where you couldn't let bro's music play without skipping because you knew he was gonna have some suspect beats on the projects.

Pete did a whole joint with Smoke DZA. Production was FIRE! He has the Common album coming up soon. Large has done a few projects since, all dope. Tip is doing the same. Those dudes from back in the day are still cooking up some sh*t! So when I hear their joints, I bug out on why Nas ain't getting back with them to do something for this era. Nas could easily reach out to them, but instead, he'll be like, "I got 5 new albums coming produced entirely by Mike & Keys". HAHA!! I don’t get it.

Nah that's the narrative but nas probably got some of the best beats for a rapper that caliber.
The main problem nas had was about choosing the best songs to be on the album and left jewels on the vaults. If I pick the best songs from the I am/nastradamus Stillmatic streets disciple hhid untitled and lig there would been no critics about the beats.
When you you analyze redman method man Eminem jadakiss DMX snoop even j Cole Kendrick I have yet to see how their beat are better than nas' even Jay's last production. Most emcee don't have a made you look nas is like thun or Stillmatic intro in their catalogues

Last edited:

Cloud McFly

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I’m just going to pretend this doesn’t exist to not sully the magic these two made in the past.