Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
QB Politics is a masterpiece.

Truth is Nas is at his best pulling from multiple producers......HitBoy, 2024 Preme just ain't good enough to hold down whole albums.

A Nas album with a sprinkling of different producers; Preme, Alchemist, Metro, DJ Dahi, HitBoy, Salaam would be the best case scenario.

Even making a Nas/Premo album as a celebration for Illmatic's 30 year anniversary is disrespectful to the other producers involved.....Illmatic essentially created the blueprint for album that uses multiple big name producers.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
Stoute told Nas that Marley was leaking records, to turn him against him. Marley said that never happened and then Nas said he doesn't even know if that happened, at all.

But Nas initially wanted to do the WHOLE album with Marley like how Marley did with LL for Mama Said Knock You Out. Nas was staying with Marley at his crib and working on the album, and then Stoute stepped in and said he wanted to go in a different direction. Changed the whole course of the project after that.
Marley was leaking records. True Dialect was used as a radio promo without Nas knowing, and On The Real got extra rappers added to it, played on the radio and put out on a white label as well.

I'm pretty sure Stoute came after the fall out with Marley. I want to say that Nas said it was one of the reasons he went with Stoute, because he felt directionless after the plan with Marley fell out.

Daps
What I'm saying is, he worked with lesser talented producers way too much, when he had the option to roll with GOAT producers who said he didn't call them. Premier being one of them. He said he was trying to do more work with Nas 20 years ago, but Nas wasn't getting back to him.

Nas has worked mad heavily with dudes that can't even touch the greats. So imagine what he could've done if he gave the better legends the same amount of time he's given dudes like HB. I love the singles Salaam gave Nas, but he gave him way more forgettable sh*t. Alchemist said he's been telling Nas for years to get back in with him, but he said it just hasn't happened. Large Professor said whenever Nas is ready to do a project together, he's ready and waiting. But said Nas ain't get with him yet on that. So if he could pivot and work more with dudes at THAT level, we're talking instant classics.

Preem said he tried to get Nas on the last Gang Starr album he put out 4 yrs ago but Nas told him "I'm not in writing mode"......but somehow still managed to write 5 damn albums with Hit-Boy in less than 3 yrs :deadrose:

In his slight defense, he asked Mos Def and Drake to get on it too and they never did. He actually delayed the album release waiting for Mos to drop his verse and he still never got one.

I don't think we'll ever know the true reason why Nas just completely abandons certain producers entirely, especially ones he's created timeless music with. That's just him I guess.

KingsOfKings

𝕄𝕒𝕕𝕝𝕚𝕓 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒𝕥
Daps
Is it good?
This may surprise you as well as others

But

Man as much of a fan I am of both these dudes

Nas x Prem

The beat could've been waaaaaaaaay better and flowed a bit better without them gaps. And I'm sure beatmakers novice or expert hear it.

this really for me sounds like a complete throwaway mid track thats being OVER HYPED here and on ever other forum/blog cause on both position within the rap game. But you know what to expect from stans with a Nas thread or any of these "bigwig" guys and there stan counterparts ---
EXCUSES, RATIONALIZE OPINIONS ETC and I'm not speculating an album release UNTIL it's in fact confirm. Weve been promised that before.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Art of It was the be

Preem said he tried to get Nas on the last Gang Starr album he put out 4 yrs ago but Nas told him "I'm not in writing mode"......but somehow still managed to write 5 damn albums with Hit-Boy in less than 3 yrs :deadrose:

In his slight defense, he asked Mos Def and Drake to get on it too and they never did. He actually delayed the album release waiting for Mos to drop his verse and he still never got one.

I don't think we'll ever know the true reason why Nas just completely abandons certain producers entirely, especially ones he's created timeless music with. That's just him I guess.

Once you work with someone its time to move someone else. And in Preem's case, even Hov stopped working with him

Personally I think its because he takes too much time

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Even making a Nas/Premo album as a celebration for Illmatic's 30 year anniversary is disrespectful to the other producers involved.....Illmatic essentially created the blueprint for album that uses multiple big name producers.

Truth right here.

Would be dope to get the whole old crew back together and do some new sh*t for this generation, to celebrate the classic debut.

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Truth right here.

Would be dope to get the whole old crew back together and do some new sh*t for this generation, to celebrate the classic debut.

People would just compare it to the first and say everyone dont sound like they hitting like back in the day, where the fire samples etc etc

At least you can say with the new Premier they can argue its something different

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Marley was leaking records. True Dialect was used as a radio promo without Nas knowing, and On The Real got extra rappers added to it, played on the radio and put out on a white label as well.

I'm pretty sure Stoute came after the fall out with Marley. I want to say that Nas said it was one of the reasons he went with Stoute, because he felt directionless after the plan with Marley fell out.

The extra rappers didn't hop on "On The Real" until after the song was scrapped for the album. That's when Marley started playing it on Future Flavas that spring. It was a throwaway by then. Which is why he would always say so before he played it. Nas already said Marley didn't leak anything but doesn't know who did.

Stoute was around way before Marley and Nas even started working. He gave Nas the budget to go get the producers he wanted. But when he came back with his list and started working with dudes, Stoute said no.

Daps
Once you work with someone its time to move someone else. And in Preem's case, even Hov stopped working with him

Personally I think its because he takes too much time

Possibly. I remember hearing a Ras Kass interview where he was talking about he's known Guru and Premier personally for years since he was a teenager and it still took him years to get music done together because his waiting list and schedule was so ridiculously long. He wears many hats.

BTW, you're buggin my man, lol. The Art Of It was the best beat on Lost Tapes 2. Only producer fukking with Pete Rock's heat on that album was Statik Selectah. And most of the producers on that album came with heat (Except Alchemist for some strange ass reason, smh), but Pete let us know why he's your favorite producer's favorite producer.

bordeaux

xxx
Daps
Reppin
God's Plan
nas sounds good. def better than he was on that first kd album. on what sounds like a 'premier type beat.' its just decent.

Awesome Wells

Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC

EXACTLY!!

That's what I'm saying. Legends are begging dude to call them back, but he's having sleepovers at HB's crib and making whole anthologies and sh*t, for years. Dude done did a whole f*cking boxset with Hit-Boy. LOL!!

The thing about Mos though, I think he's in and out of the country. Pretty sure he wasn't really allowed to be here, until like two years ago, lol.

But I think Nas wants to totally disassociate himself from Illmatic. He's said so mad times. But he understands that if he gets with those dudes again, he can't miss. So he goes with people that there's no real expectation for.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
BTW, you're buggin my man, lol. The Art Of It was the best beat on Lost Tapes 2. Only producer fukking with Pete Rock's heat on that album was Statik Selectah. And most of the producers on that album came with heat (Except Alchemist for some strange ass reason, smh), but Pete let us know why he's your favorite producer's favorite producer.

The Uptown Anthem sample flip is crazy but it is not mixed well at all