Nas & DJ Premier - Define My Name (new single out now, album releasing later this year)

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I don’t even think it's a thing with bigger names. But I spent 20+ years watching Preem give beats to dudes like Skyzoo and Royce that I would've loved to hear Nas on. Every project Alchemist drops, I'm thinking, "Damn, this is the kinda sh*t Nas should be getting." Since like '99, that's been a thing, the beats.

Nas is in my Top 5-6 MC's of all-time, but he pisses me off. I look at his catalogue, and 1/2 of it is suspect because of production. Nas ain't never had a problem with showing up, lyrically. But dude seriously does his own A&R work, so there's no one around telling him that maybe he should pick some other beats, lol. So after I Am, it became a thing where you couldn't let bro's music play without skipping because you knew he was gonna have some suspect beats on the projects.

Pete did a whole joint with Smoke DZA. Production was FIRE! He has the Common album coming up soon. Large has done a few projects since, all dope. Tip is doing the same. Those dudes from back in the day are still cooking up some sh*t! So when I hear their joints, I bug out on why Nas ain't getting back with them to do something for this era. Nas could easily reach out to them, but instead, he'll be like, "I got 5 new albums coming produced entirely by Mike & Keys". HAHA!! I don’t get it.

This is kinda the problem, people just assume every bag a producer has is for all. Sometimes people just fantasy project and dont consider a milllion things including how hes done that. I also think Nas doenst really wanna do deep undeground stuff. He'll do a throwback sample or a soul one for sure. This record right here is what I imagine he would have gotten from Preem anyway in the last 15 years. A lot of those dudes people want him to work with other than Al, dont really reinvent themselves. At this point, I learned from the Hit Boy chemistry it dont matter name

But like I said, this Nas/Preemo doenst have a release date and Im sure they're taking in the feedback

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Nah, Stoute told Nas he didn't want any "dusty" beats on the album, and had Nas go with the producers he was managing...Trackmasters.

He had a vision for Nas that was what he called "the opposite" of Illmatic because it didn't sell. So rather than push back on that, Nas went with Stoute's advice and let him oversee all of the production on the album. Nas wanted Marley Marl and other Queens producers, Stoute said no.

And if he hadn't listened to Stoute he might have never blown..it is what it is

Last edited:

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
I like QB Politics a lot too but is it better than say Speechless or Legit or Michael & Quincy or Store Run? Once we get over the idea that Pete Rock is this vaulted name in hip-hop the answer is "Nope, not really"...and The Art Of It definitely isn't with that godawful mix

And QB poltiics was a beat that Pete Rock made in 1990 and its just a piano and a light drum. It works cause of what Nas is rapping about detailing Proigy

prophecypro

Hollywood North
Daps
Reppin
LDN
Nah, Stoute told Nas he didn't want any "dusty" beats on the album, and had Nas go with the producers he was managing...Trackmasters.

He had a vision for Nas that was what he called "the opposite" of Illmatic because it didn't sell. So rather than push back on that, Nas went with Stoute's advice and let him oversee all of the production on the album. Nas wanted Marley Marl and other Queens producers, Stoute said no.

Which is wild because that album still has I gave you power, shootouts, live nikka rap, suspect, take it in blood.
But I thought the deal with Marley was Nas switched up once the records started leaking. On The Real was one of the first joints they did and it leaked like immediatley in 95. I think it was more Nas heard Stoute out after tht happened.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
And if he hadn't listened to Stoute he might have never blown...it is what it is

The album was gonna sell regardless.

Dude was doing store appearances in the city that summer, and the fire department was shutting down every visit because everyone was going crazy without even hearing the sh*t. He was on top in NYC then. For those of us who were around when IWW dropped, you saw how anticipated it was. Dude was over halfway to gold in a damn week. That album was gonna do well.

Last edited:

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
Which is wild because that album still has I gave you power, shootouts, live nikka rap, suspect, take it in blood.
But I thought the deal with Marley was Nas switched up once the records started leaking. On The Real was one of the first joints they did and it leaked like immediatley in 95. I think it was more Nas heard Stoute out after tht happened.

Stoute told Nas that Marley was leaking records, to turn him against him. Marley said that never happened and then Nas said he doesn't even know if that happened, at all.

But Nas initially wanted to do the WHOLE album with Marley like how Marley did with LL for Mama Said Knock You Out. Nas was staying with Marley at his crib and working on the album, and then Stoute stepped in and said he wanted to go in a different direction. Changed the whole course of the project after that.

Jamaro85

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Album later this year. Song for the 30 anniversary of Illmatic.

Pretty much figured this and have zero concern for the album. This track came off an an appetizer/announcement more than anything, and Nas still went in.

Premo knows what the bar is after the Hit-Boy run. I imagine the album will surprise those who are expecting it to be lazy Premo. The album has been too long coming for him to come with some bullshyt, and I’d hope he’s been stashing heat going back to 06 or whenever.

LOST IN THE SAUCE

The Sauce Apostle
Daps
Reppin
HONOLULU
I like QB Politics a lot too but is it better than say Speechless or Legit or Michael & Quincy or Store Run? Once we get over the idea that Pete Rock is this vaulted name in hip-hop the answer is "Nope, not really"...and The Art Of It definitely isn't with that godawful mix
michael-jordan-yeah.gif

Probably worth mentioning that Pete is my all time favorite producer.