N64: Name a Next Gen that I ain't Influenced

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
aside from really bringing fps to consoles, n64 revolutionized 3D gaming and introduced free cameras which are present in games of every genre on ever system since. it opened up the posibility of 360 degree gaming that is present today. and yes playstation had 3D games, but without free camera those games were very limited. that was the difference. n64 was such a huge leap in technology and gaming advancement that game designers didn't even know how to utilize it until later systems.

and you keep saying the anologue stick and rumble pack were bound to happen eventually, but thats a weak arguement to avoid giving n64 their due props since they actually did introduce it. not only that but the psx control was actually a step in the opposite direction, they didnt even have a d-pad, they had separate buttons for up, down, left and right. the anolouge stick was actually laughed at until people used it because it was considered an old school gimick (little did we know that it would be the perfect addition for the future of 3D gaming). and thats not even to say that the n64 analouge stick was perfect, but the concept behind it was.

psx influenced gaming in moving away from adventure/platformer games, n64 influenced gaming in opening up 360 degree 3D worlds and introduced a control scheme to lead the way.

:shaq2:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
aside from really bringing fps to consoles, n64 revolutionized 3D gaming and introduced free cameras which are present in games of every genre on ever system since. it opened up the posibility of 360 degree gaming that is present today. and yes playstation had 3D games, but without free camera those games were very limited. that was the difference. n64 was such a huge leap in technology and gaming advancement that game designers didn't even know how to utilize it until later systems.

and you keep saying the anologue stick and rumble pack were bound to happen eventually, but thats a weak arguement to avoid giving n64 their due props since they actually did introduce it. not only that but the psx control was actually a step in the opposite direction, they didnt even have a d-pad, they had separate buttons for up, down, left and right. the anolouge stick was actually laughed at until people used it because it was considered an old school gimick (little did we know that it would be the perfect addition for the future of 3D gaming). and thats not even to say that the n64 analouge stick was perfect, but the concept behind it was.

psx influenced gaming in moving away from adventure/platformer games, n64 influenced gaming in opening up 360 degree 3D worlds and introduced a control scheme to lead the way.
fps were already being perfected on pc,
with joysticks, they get their props for being the first to do it but you act like if they didnt it wounldnt have been done,
free camera?:childplease:
ok breh, keep thinking n64 had more influence than the psx:wtb:

Cuban Pete

Aka 305DeadCounty
Daps
Reppin
SOHH ICEY MONOPOLY
thread would be the truth if u was talking about the dreamcast, but u may get a 1 star neg rep for these ducktales about n64 leading to online gaming on consoles wtf

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
fps were already being perfected on pc,
with joysticks, they get their props for being the first to do it but you act like if they didnt it wounldnt have been done,
free camera?:childplease:
ok breh, keep thinking n64 had more influence than the psx:wtb:

Not really breh until the N64. ports of PC were gawdawful. I mean next to unplayable shyt. Prior to the 64, do you have any idea what the best shooters were? Doom 1 and 2 for the fukking Atari Jaguar, breh. THE JAGUAR !!!! :snoop:

By '96-97, people (developers) thought shooters were not a worthwhile pursuit on consoles and were strictly for PC's. Furthermore the question was how could you simulate anything resembling a multi-player element that was accessible to everyone. Remember, in the mid 90's, high speed (56k) internet was expensive as hell. Everyone didn't have it, not even middle-class families.

No one is saying the the N64 perfected shooters in anyway but it quickly closed the gap between consoles and PC's from a graphics standpoint and from a playability standpoint. A lot of N64 shooters ran at between 20-30 FPS, which was fukking unheard of up until that point.

Also, again you are wrong, Nintendo spent millions in research and development on developing a free camera system for it's 3D games, and a lot of games have tried and failed. Nintendo wanted to make a joystick controller that had all these functions and was affordable. A good PC joystick ran you 40 bucks plus and usually only has 3-5 buttons. Keep in mind N64 controllers were around 20 bucks, had a dozen inputs and had controller mounted memory and rumble functions, put that in a PC Joystick and you were out 50 bucks minimum with no rumble.

PSX had a great library and has earned it's place as a top 5 system and it influenced the PS2 and XBox era so much, but in this current-gen it would be silly to say N64 didn't have more overall influence. Let's not even start on how the Z-trigger is in every controller now. The system definitely pioneered 3D gaming on consoles as a whole.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
People giving mario all this credit are forgetting tomb raider came out at the same time. They both took camera and 3d worlds to another level. I'll let history tell you which had more influence.

dont even try breh

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
i still don't see how people forget to ever talk about the VASTLY superior Perfect Dark to golden eye....

there's not many games out even now that were as fun as Perfect Dark was.....and them Multiplayer bots were CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY

Pretty much. shyt was like jumping from Wolfenstein to Quake. GE might have been there first but PD was a leap into another universe.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
Not really breh until the N64. ports of PC were gawdawful. I mean next to unplayable shyt. Prior to the 64, do you have any idea what the best shooters were? Doom 1 and 2 for the fukking Atari Jaguar, breh. THE JAGUAR !!!! :snoop:

By '96-97, people (developers) thought shooters were not a worthwhile pursuit on consoles and were strictly for PC's. Furthermore the question was how could you simulate anything resembling a multi-player element that was accessible to everyone. Remember, in the mid 90's, high speed (56k) internet was expensive as hell. Everyone didn't have it, not even middle-class families.

No one is saying the the N64 perfected shooters in anyway but it quickly closed the gap between consoles and PC's from a graphics standpoint and from a playability standpoint. A lot of N64 shooters ran at between 20-30 FPS, which was fukking unheard of up until that point.

Also, again you are wrong, Nintendo spent millions in research and development on developing a free camera system for it's 3D games, and a lot of games have tried and failed. Nintendo wanted to make a joystick controller that had all these functions and was affordable. A good PC joystick ran you 40 bucks plus and usually only has 3-5 buttons. Keep in mind N64 controllers were around 20 bucks, had a dozen inputs and had controller mounted memory and rumble functions, put that in a PC Joystick and you were out 50 bucks minimum with no rumble.

PSX had a great library and has earned it's place as a top 5 system and it influenced the PS2 and XBox era so much, but in this current-gen it would be silly to say N64 didn't have more overall influence. Let's not even start on how the Z-trigger is in every controller now. The system definitely pioneered 3D gaming on consoles as a whole.
explain to me how you figure this gen directly got its influence frome the n64

Z trigger? what controller has this? xbox clearly had its trigger buttons influenced by psx ps3 still uses the same dualshock
psx had the four shoulder buttons from the start, your saying n64 started this trend

psx influenced ps2 and xbox but not 360 and ps3 :wtf:

tomb raider had a free camera in it, was that a direct result of nintendo?
not to say it was a better camera system than say mario had but thats not what influence means now is it?

this gen has its roots tied to xbox 1 which got its influence from dreamcast, which has more psx influence than 64,

as far as joystick, since you wanna name hardware as reasons i can say psx started the disc based movement, i know it wasnt the first but it was the most successful and thats all that matters according to your last post right?:ehh:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin

Z trigger? what controller has this? xbox clearly had its trigger buttons influenced by psx ps3 still uses the same dualshock
psx had the four shoulder buttons from the start, your saying n64 started this trend

not to say it was a better camera system than say mario had but thats not what influence means now is it?

this gen has its roots tied to xbox 1 which got its influence from dreamcast, which has more psx influence than 64,

as far as joystick, since you wanna name hardware as reasons i can say psx started the disc based movement, i know it wasnt the first but it was the most successful and thats all that matters according to your last post right?:ehh:

its a dead argument next we will have a debate on how the master system influenced the snes

Dirty Mcdrawz

Your girl loves em....
Daps
i know it wasnt the first but it was the most successful and thats all that matters according to your last post right?:ehh:

Wikipedia said:
Neo Geo CD

Neo Geo CD console with two controllers attached
The SNK Neo Geo CD controller is similar in shape and size to Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Saturn gamepads and features 6 digital buttons and a d-pad/thumbstick. In the center of the controller are two "Start" and "Select" buttons and in the right thumb position are four colored action buttons labeled "A", "B", "C" & "D", arranged in a diamond formation. Movement is controlled via an unusual d-pad/thumbstick hybrid, which is used similarly to modern analog sticks, but technologically is closer to an 8-way digital d-pad (directional pad), POV-hat (POV stands for "Point of View" because in traditional flight simulations use it to look around, "hat" beacause it's on top i.e. on the "head" of the joystick) or arcade stick.

NeogeoCDcontroller.jpg

:ehh:

its a dead argument next we will have a debate on how the master system influenced the snes

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

Tomb Raider had a free camera, and I don't know if Mario was an influence or not, but Mario suceeded in doing it first.

Not saying PSX didn't influence this gen just that more of it's influences reached the last gen. Also, I completely credit PSX for winning the format war, they were right on that one and even though Nintendo was going to go in that direction, their stubborness (on that and other things) was their ultimate downfall, I wouldn't deny that.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ

I'm talking from a console standpoint, no other controller prior had that input set up that way, not one. Those other controllers are influenced by the N64, whether they'll admit it or not. The dual shock was an improvement on the N64 design featuring built in functions as opposed to add-ons. Now I believe the Dualshock is arguably the GOAT controller as its design has been used almost 15 years but yes, Nintendo def, spurred that development.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
reading that having a 56K internet connection being expensive in 1996-1997 is all I needed to read...some of you don't know what the fukk you are talking about.

ALL of my friends had AOL @ 56K for about $30 a month. DSL? Now that's another story, I believe we got that in 1998 for $70 a month or something.