N64: Name a Next Gen that I ain't Influenced

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
reading that having a 56K internet connection being expensive in 1996-1997 is all I needed to read...some of you don't know what the fukk you are talking about.

ALL of my friends had AOL @ 56K for about $30 a month. DSL? Now that's another story, I believe we got that in 1998 for $70 a month or something.

:russ:

In 96, you got 56k for 30 bucks a month if you had their AOL package or whatever (which sucked imo), if not it was around 50, that's not cheap for families that's already juggling things like bills and cable, I knew exactly what the deal was, the price dropped soon after that, but it was def close to $50. Now if you had the money to burn great, but I can assure, as a young dad at the point with wife and kids, I'm not trying to pay an extra 50 bucks a month for something like internet and most families, would rather pay a onetime $350 and something that lasts 3 or 4 years than pay that much a month. The prices went down pretty quickly after that point.

DSL in 98 was way more than 70 bucks a month unless you got some sort of company discount, it I got mines from Bell in 2001 and it was around 60.

Liquid

Superstar
WOAT
Daps
:russ:

In 96, you got 56k for 30 bucks a month if you had their AOL package or whatever (which sucked imo), if not it was around 50, that's not cheap for families that's already juggling things like bills and cable, I knew exactly what the deal was, the price dropped soon after that, but it was def close to $50. Now if you had the money to burn great, but I can assure, when I have a wife and kids, I'm not trying to pay an extra 50 bucks a month for something like internet and most families, would rather pay a onetime $350 and something that lasts 3 or 4 years than pay that much a month. The prices went down pretty quickly after that point.

DSL in 98 was way more than 70 bucks a month unless you got some sort of company discount, it I got mines from Bell in 2001 and it was around 60.
Pretty sure msn was under $30 as well, either way AOL was popping off back then and I have to give them credit for connecting the world.

You are exaggerating to support your agenda. The N64 was a cool console for exclusives, all this happy reinvention of the past is not cool.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I don't really have an agenda, I stated the ups and downs of the system over the life of the console. AOL was ahead of the game in a lot of ways, though I found their plan and business model rather invasive, it was an extremely well marketed machine and they did provide a service that was affordable to people that were willing to stomach it.

The only real point I'm trying to make is that the N64 was an influential system in more than a few ways and a lot of the things it pioneered are being used by this generation. Don't get me wrong the PSX (especially after 98-99) had hits for days, and was very influential, I just think more if it's success and idea were used and enhanced upon in the last generation, I think the waves of the N64 were felt moreso in this gen as opposed to last, not saying one is above the other, just the way things panned out, IMO

Eoin

Pro
Daps
Still ranked no.1 as my greatest ever christmas present, even tho i bearly got to play it christmas day because my dad and his friends were hogging it :sadcam:

up in here

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
tomb raider had a free camera in it, was that a direct result of nintendo?

tomb raider didn't have really free camera though, the camera stayed in set positions behind lara, in mario 64 the camera was able to be moved independant of mario. mario 64 was actually the first game to feature true free camera motion. add to that, the tombs in tomb raider were very linear as opposed to the open environments of mario 64.

thats not to say tomb raider had no influence, it was a massively influential game and a step up from crash bandicoot, but mario 64 and later oot really made major strides influencing 3D gaming in opening up worlds and environments like it had never been done.

[ame=http://youtu.be/0iAd4egX2PA]The original Tomb Raider gameplay - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pretty sure msn was under $30 as well, either way AOL was popping off back then and I have to give them credit for connecting the world.

You are exaggerating to support your agenda. The N64 was a cool console for exclusives, all this happy reinvention of the past is not cool.

I never in my life remembered aol being no more than 20 dollars a month. Now broadband back then was 50 dollars a month :wtf: . Try convincing your parents to get dsl

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I'm talking from a console standpoint, no other controller prior had that input set up that way, not one. Those other controllers are influenced by the N64, whether they'll admit it or not. The dual shock was an improvement on the N64 design featuring built in functions as opposed to add-ons. Now I believe the Dualshock is arguably the GOAT controller as its design has been used almost 15 years but yes, Nintendo def, spurred that development.

the psx controller was released before the 64, it had the four shoulder buttons that controllers of today still use, from the very beginning, the wii is the only system since to have a trigger even close to the n64:why:

let me show you
pre-e3-2005-xbox-360-controller-images-20050512084828743_640w.jpg

PSX.gif

N64-Controller-Gray-Back.jpg

what controller does the 360 resemble most

explain the n64 influences that are used over the psx today,

by the way mario and tomb raider released aroun the same time with the free camera so what are you getting at saying mario did it first?

if you wanna say the 64 had an influence then say that, but the moment you say that influence overshadowed the psx? now your just being silly:mjpls:

psx had a bigger impact on recent game consoles than the 64 by far

edit

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the psx controller was released before the 64, it had the four shoulder buttons that controllers of today still use, from the very beginning, the wii is the only system since to have a trigger even close to the n64:why:

explain the n64 influences that are used over the psx today,

by the way mario and tomb raider released aroun the same time with the free camera so what are you getting at saying mario did it first?

if you wanna say the 64 had an influence then say that, but the moment you say that influence overshadowed the psx? now your just being silly:mjpls:

psx had a bigger impact on recent game consoles than the 64 by far

the biggest impact of all isn't even none the stuff we are even listing. The actually mainstreaming the use of Cd's as medium when everyone else sticked to carts :bryan:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
the biggest impact of all isn't even none the stuff we are even listing. The actually mainstreaming the use of Cd's as medium when everyone else sticked to carts :bryan:

i wasnt even trying to get into all that intil he started talking about how the 64 hardware had a bigger impact cause then he would look silly:jawalrus:

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
tomb raider didn't have really free camera though, the camera stayed in set positions behind lara, in mario 64 the camera was able to be moved independant of mario. mario 64 was actually the first game to feature true free camera motion. add to that, the tombs in tomb raider were very linear as opposed to the open environments of mario 64.

thats not to say tomb raider had no influence, it was a massively influential game and a step up from crash bandicoot, but mario 64 and later oot really made major strides influencing 3D gaming in opening up worlds and environments like it had never been done.

The original Tomb Raider gameplay - YouTube

Super Mario 64 Gameplay 1 - YouTube

i feel you on that, but that was in response to psx not having a camera system until mario came out

in no way am i taking anything from mario or the god zelda, my arguement is that psx had the bigger impact by far

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
i feel you on that, but that was in response to psx not having a camera system until mario came out

in no way am i taking anything from mario or the god zelda, my arguement is that psx had the bigger impact by far

nostalgia man. they even keep making psone games until 2004 I think :gladbron:

King Sun

Big Boss
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
i dont understand where they getting these ideas that the fukking 64 influenced microsoft and sony:why:

if anything dreamcast influenced xbox ps2 was just a evolution of the ps2. Reason im saying that is because ps2 didn't even have online until years later. matter of fact the only thing you can credit n64 with is the analog sticks and the free moving camera.

Iamnoone

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NY

The original Tomb Raider gameplay - YouTube

Super Mario 64 Gameplay 1 - YouTube

You could control the camera though in TR but it would return to the rear once you started moving a certain direction