Murder is the leading cause of death for Black men under 44

Did you know this before entering?

• Yes

Votes: 68 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 46 40.4%

• Total voters

rbksNgirbauds

Even on the court we stay flyy, Jada & A.I.
Daps
Yep, exactly. Most breh don't want go down this route for so many reason especially when it's pointed out that the basis for this new culture will be in the scriptures.
Yeap, yeap, and yeap. There literally is no other way....but you know, as the scriptures say: "a stiff-necked people"

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Keeping my overhead low, and my understand high
They got the stats for women across races? Or you already post it somewhere in here?

They got all the races here:

jqcJJn.jpg

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Focus on yourself....honestly....imo we are too broken of a people to depend on community. Just look at our history in this country, we build and then it gets destroyed by racist whites or sell outs.

People place wayyy too much faith in us as a community and I get it...I really do because im all about family and unity but when you put all the pressure on yourself you have no choice but to succeed or fail...

Improve yourself and then you can improve others
that strategy hasn't worked and wont

even if you focus on yourself you still have to focus on community. you don't live alone. the people around you affect your life positively or negatively, ignoring them doesn't change that.

you could be a well to do well meaning established and progressive breh and still get murked because of the devalued nature of Black life. so that idea of just riding solo in society doesn't work. yourself is still a part of something bigger than just you.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
two main reasons
1) Because you guys taking a study that shows the most common causes of death of a particular group and assigning volume to it.
The study is not showing volume, just percentage. If last year we reduced murder in the black community to just 1 person dead. and among all black people only 1 other person died in 2021 of covid or some shyt. The study would still show 50% of black people in that particular group died from murder in 2021.
Stop looking at this and using as proof black people are disportionately this or that. You may be right, but this doesn't prove that.

2) You guy are looking at this study and saying "see? it's a cultural thing specific to black people." again wrong, this study is showing that all young people die in similar ways. How is cultural for us but not Hispanics or pacific islanders? again you might be correct in this view, but this study isn't proof of that. it's essentially ya'll just reacting to a sensational headline without reading the article.

Well, no one attributed volume to it. Actually, @Frangala posted the official data showing the volume earlier, though. If you're curious.

The fact that that it's such a high percentage of young male deaths on its own is the concern (regardless of volume).

And no one is saying that Blacks are inherently more violent culturally or anything to the effect. But murder is, indeed, the leading cause of death for young Black males.

Other groups are mostly not dying in similar ways, or to the same proportion. Murder is not the leading cause of death for any other group of males. And the percentage of people being murdered is not as high for any other group.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
It's wild how homicide is the leading cause of death for Black men and we can say out of our mouths that music that centers around the murder of Black men is "entertainment"

Something is very wrong, very broken

:francis:
heads buried in the sand

people don't want to accept that they have to be apart of the change they want to see.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Snitching
civilians reporting crime should have never been referred to as that and furthermore i don't know why street rules became seemingly the only code of conduct people have.

start telling... yes. if you a law abiding citizen do not protect criminals because they look like you.

OfTheCross

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
interesting article from 1989 (when "Self Destruction" "Me Myself and I" "Fight the Power" were the top rap hits)

"For black males age 15 to 24, homicide is the leading cause of death"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...d-black/fd3a4fc0-4ad7-4943-9234-c796636dccb6/

@Matt504 @Prynce

Drill wasn't poppin in 1989....

"Homicide has become a leading cause of death among urban black men, who face a 1-in-10 chance of being killed during their lifetimes compared to a 1-in-80 chance for white men, according to congressional testimony. For black males age 15 to 24, homicide is the leading cause of death; one of every three black men age 20 to 24 who dies is a homicide victim, according to the Institute for Advanced Study of Black Family Life and Culture in Oakland. "

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Well, no one attributed volume to it. Actually, @Frangala posted the official data showing the volume earlier, though. If you're curious.

The fact that that it's such a high percentage of young male deaths on its own is the concern (regardless of volume).

And no one is saying that Blacks are inherently more violent culturally or anything to the effect. But murder is, indeed, the leading cause of death for young Black males.

Other groups are mostly not dying in similar ways, or to the same proportion. Murder is not the leading cause of death for any other group of males. And the percentage of people being murdered is not as high for any other group.

I just explained how the percentage is number is meaningless in the post you just quoted. We could technically reduce the murder rate and still have percentage in that study increase. Its not a reflection of volume. Plus again you mentioned proportion to other races as well, which is not addressed either.
but whatever, clearly i came in here to debate that study while the rest of you want to take it face value and debate black people instead. so go head without me.

Matt504

YSL as a gang must end
Daps
@Matt504 @Prynce

Drill wasn't poppin in 1989....

"Homicide has become a leading cause of death among urban black men, who face a 1-in-10 chance of being killed during their lifetimes compared to a 1-in-80 chance for white men, according to congressional testimony. For black males age 15 to 24, homicide is the leading cause of death; one of every three black men age 20 to 24 who dies is a homicide victim, according to the Institute for Advanced Study of Black Family Life and Culture in Oakland. "

I've never made the argument that music is making young men kill people.

69 others

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
two main reasons
1) Because you guys taking a study that shows the most common causes of death of a particular group and assigning volume to it.
The study is not showing volume, just percentage. If last year we reduced murder in the black community to just 1 person dead. and among all black people only 1 other person died in 2021 of covid or some shyt. The study would still show 50% of black people in that particular group died from murder in 2021.
Stop looking at this and using as proof black people are disportionately this or that. You may be right, but this doesn't prove that.

2) You guy are looking at this study and saying "see? it's a cultural thing specific to black people." again wrong, this study is showing that all young people die in similar ways. How is cultural for us but not Hispanics or pacific islanders? again you might be correct in this view, but this study isn't proof of that. it's essentially ya'll just reacting to a sensational headline without reading the article.

when comparing anything across groups you have to use percentages unless the groups are of equal size:gucci:. This is about comparison and either way you look at it it's not good.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
that strategy hasn't worked and wont

even if you focus on yourself you still have to focus on community. you don't live alone. the people around you affect your life positively or negatively, ignoring them doesn't change that.

you could be a well to do well meaning established and progressive breh and still get murked because of the devalued nature of Black life. so that idea of just riding solo in society doesn't work. yourself is still a part of something bigger than just you.
its exactly what worked for me

and what is the community? who is it working for truly? you cannot focus on some amorphous, revolving door of people who cannot objectively have your best interest at heart while also wholly investing in yourself.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
two main reasons

Your first point is somewhat correct except that your making assumption that everyone is talking about volume. Sure, some people may be talking about volume, but I don’t think that’s the case for most. Percentage of deaths being a result of murder is enough cause for concern because it means of all the ways black people can die, murder is most likely. That is not the case for any other group. We can safely assume that the total number of deaths isn’t very low, so that argument isn’t very strong. Furthermore, someone has provided additional data to support some of the unrelated claims anymore, more akin to volume. So continuing to say that OP doesn’t prove it is a bit disingenuous considering data to support that separate point has been provided.

Your second point is more of a personal issue and isn’t completely accurate either. All young people EXCEPT for black men die of similar causes… suicide and accidents. Young black men die primarily from murder, then suicide and accidents significantly trail behind murder. I believe it’s poverty (which has its own systemic causes) more than culture, but I do think certain parts of young street culture (not black culture as a whole) exacerbate the issue.