MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
I disagree I think you are captive to the circle you hang in, I've seen plenty of people even by AV recievers and speaker systems, even if it is just a AV speaker system in a box, and not high end quality shyt. Big screen tvs are cheap, AV recievers are cheap.

Like I said earlier, there is a place for "event films" and you can always (as a studio) cut deals for IMAX exclusivity, but as a whole they need to be moving away from theaters and towards direct streaming services of movies. $40 - $50 via netflix, disney stream, paramount strea, Turner/WB stream for first run movies is a good deal for a family.
When you said theater systems I thought you were referring to your projector screen which most people aren't doing

And the streaming model is easily getting played, people aren't going to keep wanting to add more and more to the point you're paying $100+ for all your streaming services

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
When you said theater systems I thought you were referring to your projector screen which most people aren't doing

And the streaming model is easily getting played, people aren't going to keep wanting to add more and more to the point you're paying $100+ for all your streaming services
I"m not talking about 40 - 50 a month on top of service, I'm talking 40 - 50 for access to first run of a movie. You pay as much as you are willing to watch it on release before it filters into basic movie rotation for your provider.

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
do we even need the app? after signing up they said I'll be getting a card and shyt...if so, the hell will I need the app for?

reading reviews on it saying it's ass cheeks.

Walgreens

Be Well.
Supporter
Daps
I'll sign up as soon as the fukking site loads.

Can't see how this going to work though since they'll be paying full price ticket to the theater each time we use it.

TheGodling

Los Ingobernables de Sala de Cine
Daps
Reppin
Rotterdam
10 bucks does not seem like a commercially viable model at all.:patrice:

Theaters most likely will not complain since they're not really dependent on ticket prices anyway, studios and distributors are the ones who will be hurt the most by this, and they will probably start strong-arming theaters into dropping out of the service or risk missing out some movies. A customer-friendly move that goes against market workings designed to gain a lot of customers on paper and boost their stock enormously while in reality they just create another bubble. Definitely the kind of move a Netflix co-founder would make.

detroitwalt

Superstar
Daps
The app would let me sign up but it wouldn't give me the 2 week free trial. It's only $10 tho so I bit the bullet

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Only Downside Is The Large Quantity Of Idiots, Kids And Teenagers That Will Be There Acting Like a$$holes

I Dunno Where Y'all Live But In NY You Gotta Choose Your Theather, Movie, Day And Time You Go Wisely lol

Gotta fukk Around And Leave Your Borough

I feel u im in westchester and the movies seem to be the only place to get away from the lil hood boogers.Imma have to go during the day or afternoon now because if mad people get on this shyt will be crowded for every random movie. During spiderman these 4 white girls kept getting up and running out the theater every 5 minutes. The breh next to them flipped by the hour mark

:russ:

I read not all theaters participate in this? How can i look it up before i buy?

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
AMC Theatres Says It Will Try To Block MoviePass

Not so fast, MoviePass: AMC Theatres, the world’s largest exhibition company, says that it’s talking to lawyers to see if it can block ticket sales to users of the service that enables subscribers to see a movie a day.

The announcement follows MoviePass’ disclosure today that it sold itself to a data firm and reduced the base price of its consumer service to $9.95 a month from $14.95. MoviePass pays the full ticket price for its subscribers to see one movie a day on a conventional 2D screen — not 3D or Imax.

“From what we can tell, by definition and absent some other form of other compensation, MoviePass will be losing money on every subscriber seeing two movies or more in a month,” AMC says in a statement.

It adds that “it is not yet known how to turn lead into gold. AMC believes that holding out to consumers that first run movies can be watched in theatres at great quantities for a monthly price of $9.95 isn’t doing moviegoers any favors. In AMC’s view, that price level is unsustainable and only sets up consumers for ultimate disappointment down the road if or when the product can no longer be fulfilled.”

Indeed, AMC says, the price “over time will not provide sufficient revenue to operate quality theatres nor will it produce enough income to provide film makers with sufficient incentive to make great new movies.”

The chain says that it doesn’t object to the concept of movie subscriptions: But the one from MoviePass “is not one AMC can embrace. We are actively working now to determine whether it may be feasible to opt out and not participate in this shaky and unsustainable program.”

AMC and Landmark opposed the MoviePass concept when it was introduced in 2011. The subscription firm still was able to do business by offering subscribers debit cards that it says are accepted at 91% of U.S. theaters.

Data firm Helios and Matheson Analytics agreed to pay $27 million for a 51% stake in MoviePass. The service, which had about 20,000 subscribers in December, aims to enlist at least 100,000 with its lower price — and new publicity.

The deal also calls for MoviePass to go public by the end of January 2018.

AMC has reason to be skittish. Its market value plummeted 35% so far this month following a worse-than-expected Q2 earnings report. Many investors also fear that Hollywood studios will introduce premium video on demand — offering new releases to home viewers in the 90 day period when theaters usually have them exclusively.

Other theater chains have also fallen from favor, and were down again today. Stock prices for AMC, Imax, Regal Entertainment, and Cinemark each touched a 52-week low.

B. Riley analyst Eric Wold said some investors “could be misinterpreting” MoviePass’s announcement thinking that it would be “a negative for box office and exhibitor profitability if it takes hold with consumers.”

In his view, it would help since “exhibitors get full price for their tickets and the studios get their usual film rent splits” — and higher attendance should also improve pop corn sales.

edit:
good article on the breakdown of the service
What Is MoviePass? The Pros and Cons of $10-a-Month Unlimited Films

Want to see a lot of movies in the theater for almost no money? You are not alone. MoviePass, for one, was caught off-guard by the groundswell of enthusiasm for the prospect on Tuesday when potential customers caused its website and app to crash, shortly after a new payment structure and owner was announced.

The deal, put simply, goes like this: For a $9.95 monthly fee, you have the option to see up to one movie in theaters per day, every day. We’ll cover the nitty-gritty below, but that’s the gist of the service.

The company, run by Netflix co-founder and former Redbox president Mitch Lowe, wants to be a major disrupter in the industry — think, well, Netflix. But since it was launched in 2011, the service hasn’t gained much traction and remains under-used. MoviePass is hoping this new deal changes that.

Here are some of the advantages and disadvantages of using MoviePass as told by people who have tried the service and stopped, and others who swear by it:

Advantage: It’s actually a great deal

Ticket prices for movies are only rising. And, until Tuesday’s announcement, MoviePass offered essentially the same plan as it does now, but for $50 per month. For true film lovers, that’s still a steal. Now, you only need to watch two movies per month to feel like you’re getting your money’s worth (only one, if you live in a major metropolis).

Drawback: No 3D or Imax

The MoviePass system does not extend to special formats like 3D or Imax. If you’re a hardcore Christopher Nolan fan, you’ll still have to shell out to see “Dunkirk” how it was meant to be seen.

Advantage: No blackout dates

The service is available for use every day of the year. As long as there are tickets available, one of them can be yours.

Drawback: Must buy onsite

Were you one of those people who bought “Force Awakens” tickets weeks in advance? That’s not really an option with MoviePass. To select a showtime, you have to check in on the app, which only works within 100 yards of the location. That makes it tough to buy ahead of time, so that midnight premiere might have to come out of pocket.

Advantage: Available at most theaters, even indies

MoviePass says it’s available in over 91% of all theaters in the U.S. That extends to big chains including AMC, Regal Cinemas, and Cinemark, but also smaller houses like the IFC in New York and Quentin Tarantino’s New Beverly for Angelenos. However, some pushback may be coming — later Tuesday, AMC released a statement objecting to the deep discount.

Drawback: No premium theaters like the ArcLight or Landmark

If you’re one of those people who need a screen consultant on hand just in case you’re unhappy with the quality of the image, you might be out of luck. Among that small percentage of theaters that aren’t in on the deal are … well, let’s just say exactly the chains you would expect.

Advantage: Your conscience is clean

The company reports that it works by buying movie theater tickets for its subscribers directly from exhibitors at whatever price they offer. That means that MoviePass is operating at a loss, and playing the long game. Sure, most movie theater owners would rather you buy their own loyalty programs. But if you balked at the idea for fear of ripping off your local indie picture house, feel free to proceed sans guilt.

Drawback: Solo ticket buyers only

MoviePass works best for loners. Since you are only able to buy your own ticket, if you like seeing movies in large groups (and want to sit together), it isn’t especially useful. Even two MoviePass users can’t buy tickets in one order. At least for now, it’s single tickets only. Which could make a date to the movies a little less romantic.

Advantage: Track your progress

The app keeps track of the movies you watched and when you watched them. That makes it easy to recall all your terrible choices, and think how easy it would be to write your end-of-year lists!

Drawback: The app can be buggy

Since it requires your phone to use location services, it can freeze if the reception at the theater is bad. It will probably only be a minor nuisance, but it’s something to consider.

Bonus: A magic debit card

Maybe you’re not easily amused by technological advances. But when you sign up for MoviePass you are mailed a debit card. When you purchase your movie ticket at the theater, your personal card is automatically loaded with the precise amount that you need to buy your ticket. Come on, admit it — that’s pretty cool.