MoviePass: It's Back (Different tiers, use at any participating theaters)

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I copped the AMC stuff and it has been smooth sailing. I only see 1-2 movies a weekend so it was perfect (AMC is the best major chain imo).

That said last december I did the pre pay Moviepass for 89 bucks. Do they auto renew?

Daps
I'm a bart ride away from Metreon in San Francisco. I know it's a legit one. Every time I watch a movie there it takes me the first few minutes of being a little dizzy to get used to it.

That's dope. Laser IMAX is supposedly the BEST version of IMAX, so you're extra lucky in that regard.

ahomeplateslugger

Superstar
Daps
I'm a bart ride away from Metreon in San Francisco. I know it's a legit one. Every time I watch a movie there it takes me the first few minutes of being a little dizzy to get used to it.

i've been going to AMC on Bay Street since i'm close to it but didn't know the imax at metreon is better:ohhh: i'm two bart stops away so gonna check it out for christopher robin.

:francis:

guess morning screenings are just about done for, since I'm on the annual, probably will cancel when that's up if they continue to not offer AM screenings.

was hoping to catch a movie after dropping my dog off for grooming but the only showings i see are late evenings and only for 3 movies i have no interest in:beli: it's a wrap for moviepass.

calh45

Cal
Daps
i've been going to AMC on Bay Street since i'm close to it but didn't know the imax at metreon is better:ohhh: i'm two bart stops away so gonna check it out for christopher robin.

was hoping to catch a movie after dropping my dog off for grooming but the only showings i see are late evenings and only for 3 movies i have no interest in:beli: it's a wrap for moviepass.

Hit the vape before you go. The screen is life changing big. Right now they only showing mission impossible. It's worth the extra effort to go though. I saw it the other night. I might see it again next week.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
You can see the same movie three times in one day if you want.

If the theater has seat reservations, you can do that through the app as well.

There's been a few times I've been walking home from the job, checked the app, see a movie I want to see about to start, reserve my seat, walk in have them scan my phone and I'm good.
Who does this?

Other than @TheGodling when fury road came out

:lolbron:

Makavalli

Sinister is a system
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Copped movie pass tickets to transylvania at 1:36 and swapped them out for darkest minds. Checked the app at 6pm and all theaters near me said no showtimes available so if yall planning on seeing something cop it early

Deltron

The Return
Top Supporter
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The year 3030
full article:
MoviePass Slashes Offering to Three Films a Month

Short on cash, battered by investors and pronounced dead by critics recently, MoviePass will soon begin limiting customers to three movies a month, a major change from its current allowance of one a day.

MoviePass Chief Executive Mitch Lowe said in an interview that the new policy, which takes effect Aug. 15, will reduce the company’s cash burn rate by more than 60% and make its attempted transition to profitability “more manageable.” As of June, MoviePass’s monthly cash deficit was $45 million, parent company Helios & Matheson Analytics Inc. said in regulatory filings.

The policy changes come after a tumultuous several weeks during which MoviePass, which says it has more than 3 million subscribers, briefly stopped working in most theaters and Helios had to borrow money at a high interest rate to stay afloat.

MoviePass subscribers pay $9.95 a month to see up to a movie a day. In practice 85% see three or fewer a month, and Mr. Lowe said his company is now focusing on those customers.

“They will not be affected at all by this program, and even better, they’ll stop hearing MoviePass is going out of business,” he said.

Related
Mr. Lowe said an 8% rise in overall domestic box office spending compared with a year ago cost MoviePass, which buys tickets at full price for its subscribers, more than expected. He also said investors grew impatient with its losses more quickly than he had anticipated and that, as public criticism mounted and Helios’s stock price fell, nervous vendors began demanding faster repayment, necessitating the $6.25 million loan, which the company has since paid off.

“I should have accelerated the process of reducing the burn faster in hindsight,” Mr. Lowe said. “Now I realize no matter how patient investors say they will be, they never are.”

Eager to preserve cash, MoviePass on July 27 stopped allowing its users at most theaters to see that weekend’s most popular film, “Mission: Impossible—Fallout.” The following Monday, MoviePass said it was raising its price to $14.95 a month and blocking customers from seeing new releases during their first two weeks on the big screen.

It also expanded a policy started in early July of adding a surcharge for certain screenings of popular films.

Mr. Lowe said the so-called “peak pricing” was supposed to be infrequent and low-cost. But as the company entered “cash constraint mode,” peak pricing became common. In New York and Los Angeles, it reached as high as $8 a ticket.

Those moves helped save cash, said Mr. Lowe, but angered and confused many customers. The company’s daily cancellation rate doubled, he said, though it has since “settled down.”

After one week of analyzing customer responses and internal debate, Mr. Lowe said MoviePass is abandoning those changes. The price increase and restriction on new releases are being revoked, there will be no surcharges, and users will no longer have to upload photos of tickets they buy to prove they are not committing fraud.

“We’ve been whipsawing people back and forth,” said Mr. Lowe. “I think we’ve got it now.”

Subscribers who see more than three films a month will get a discount of $2 to $5 a ticket, if they purchase through the MoviePass app.

Some of the 15% of current subscribers who see more than three films a month could cancel, Mr. Lowe said, particularly if they frequent an AMC Entertainment Holdings Inc. theater. The biggest exhibition chain in the U.S. has attracted 175,000 subscribers so far to a subscription plan that offers three movies a week for $19.95 a month.

As a result of the changes, MoviePass may take longer to attain 5 million subscribers than a prior target of the end of this year, said Mr. Lowe. “Ultimately, I believe this is a 20 million-subscriber business over the next three to four years,” he added.

Helios bought MoviePass a year ago and slashed the price to $9.95 a month for one film a day; it had previously cost $40 to $50 a month. Helios’s stock rose and then quickly fell, as short sellers bet the service couldn’t stay in business long, if it continued effectively selling tickets for less than it paid for them. Mr. Lowe said he still believes the company will ultimately prosper by building a moviegoing “ecosystem” in which MoviePass profits from concession sales, rides to theaters, and advertising.

MoviePass, which works at 91% of theaters in the U.S., says it has accounted for about 6% of the total domestic box office of $7.6 billion this year.

Despite a 250-to-1 reverse stock split on July 25, Helios stock closed at 7 cents a share Friday, down from more than $8,000 last October, accounting for the split. Its market capitalization is just over $100,000.